What's new

The Day The Earth Stood Still (Blu-ray) - Reviews? (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is listed as being released today, but no reviews here or over at AVS Forum. Does anyone have any word on the quality of the transfer?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would be interested in reading some reviews on this, but it looks just fine in SD on my 46" set, and, frankly, while the movie is a classic and I love it all over the place, it is to my mind not a masterpiece of black and white cinematography , just servicable. In this case, the screenplay and Gort are the magical elements. Therefore, for me, Blu-ray would not be a necessity the way it would for, say, THE THIRD MAN or SUNSET BLVD, where the astonishing camerawork is so vital to the atmosphere.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree, but anyhow, I'll be watching it this afternoon because it's one of my favorite films and I'll think it would look great in HD.

Crawdaddy

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I am very interested to hear your impressions on this disc, particularly with respect to the presence or, hopefully, absence of DNR.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was hoping to buy this here in the UK this week but for some reason the European release has been cancelled - it's disappeared completely from the Fox UK website. The Region A Fox Blu-ray will certainly be region locked so I've been forced to order the Region 1 SD version because I'm keen on having all those extras. Annoying to say the least.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last night. It looked fine to my eyes & the audio was wonderful.

On my Blu-Ray disc the "Special Feature" about the Theremin was missing! When I selected it from the Menu an 18 second lead-in begins, but after this part is done the screen goes black & there is only dashes (---) in the time indicator on my Sony S550. Has this happened to anyone else??? :eek: :frowning:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Why is the doc "Making of..." 70 mins on the old SD & 23:51 on the new?
(is the doc split up or something)
Thanks.

EDitEDbyED:
LUV the Batman-look by the way!!!
Even my Kong poster looks better!
Thanks.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Two different features. The 80 Minute feature from the Studio Classic release was not ported over. So hold on to the SD release if you like the 80 Documentary.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To anyone wondering whether an old b&w movie will benefit from HD, this one certainly does. It's beautiful, the best I've seen since it was in the theaters. It's crisp with excellent detail.

As to the Theremin feature, I too have an S550 and my results were the same. I'd like to know if other players are having the problem.

I wasn't planning on watching the whole thing tonight, but, in for 5 minutes, in for the movie. Except for one item, the basic special effects work very well. That one exception is Gort. His basic appearance can't be beat, but it's that wrinkly rubber suit, it takes me out of the movie every time.

BTW, when Gort is carrying Patricia Neal to the saucer, do I see wires holding her in Gort's arms? I've never noticed those before.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I also have to disagree with this. As a filmmaker who has studied a great deal of B&W cinematography, I think The Day The Earth Stood Still stands out as one of the finest examples of "noir" photography there is. The scene where Mr. Carpenter first arrives at the boarding house in silhouette is nothing less than stunning.

Doug

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched the making of doc and they mention there were wires holding Patricia Neal. The actor playing Gort was very tall but not robust. Apparently he couldn't carry her while in costume. I was looking for the wires while Gort carried Klatuu but didn't see them then.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A lot of wires too.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, that was exactly the scene I was thinking about when I posted my disagreement with Dick. It looks fantastic in HD.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Watched this last night and it was well worth the upgrade from the old DVD.

Any fan of classic Sci-fi with a Blu-ray player who doesn't pick this up should promptly punch themselves in the face.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I noticed them on the DVD (that I just sold in preparation for the BR). Very much looking forward to watching this.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed. So stunning that William Friedkin, ahem, "borrowed" it for a similarly key scene when he filmed "The Exorcist".

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the link Paul. I was concerned that this title would be a target for grain removal, and I'm glad to see that it apparently escaped that fate on BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks