Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is Journeyman on DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,316 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 05:58 AM

Where is this series on DVD? If Cantebury's Law gets announced with 6 episode, this should definately be out....[/spoiler]
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,757 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 02 2008 - 06:34 AM

I agree. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yeah I would buy it too, also wondering why Women's Murder Club and New Amsterdam not been announced yet either, thought they would get a release too

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,035 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 10:05 AM

Count me in...Although, I am still waiting for John Doe. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 05:53 PM

it sucks that the strike killed Journeyman, I still think they might have toughed it out if not fot the strike
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   heathjack

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 12:00 PM

I read somewhere that its coming outsometime next fall . i'm not sure when . i read it somewhere on the net.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 12 2008 - 05:14 PM

Dave Scarpa, are you the David Scarpa who wrote the new The Day the Earth Stood Still?

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,035 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 06:21 PM

I can answer that. No Dave is not the same one who wrote it...Although, he wishes he did. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 12 2008 - 06:23 PM

He wants the money, not the blame. Posted Image

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 06:58 AM

I'd be a buyer too. Strike didn't give this show a chance.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,316 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 05:37 PM

I can answer that. No Dave is not the same one who wrote it...Although, he wishes he did. Posted Image

I would've made it clock in longer than the 89 minutes or whatever it came in at.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,399 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 06 2009 - 05:12 PM

JOURNEYMAN might be tough on DVD, as it's chock full of identifiable pop music. Like COLD CASE, the music helps to identify the year in which the episode happens to be focused on. I DVR'd the series last year, and we've been watching it. As it plays I'm noticing all of the pop music in the background. It could be a stumbling block, but like others in this thread, I'd buy an officially released version in a heartbeat, even though my off-air copies don't look too terrible. Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 06 2009 - 07:08 PM

I remember quite a few. "Sex and Candy" when he was in the late '90s. I think it was "Get Down Tonight" on the airplane.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Dustin James

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 08:38 PM

There is a lot of pop music used. Who knows if that is the reason keeping this from being released on DVD or if there simply isn't enough perceived demand (add me to the list of people who would buy it on DVD).

NBC.com still has a section up for the show, including a listing of the music used for each episode (at least through episode 10): NBC.com - Journeyman

Also, on the NBC forums, someone has done a good job of listing the songs in the order they are used in each episode along with a description of the scene: NBC > ♫ Music from JOURNEYMAN ♫

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,035 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 08:53 AM

JOURNEYMAN might be tough on DVD, as it's chock full of identifiable pop music. Like COLD CASE, the music helps to identify the year in which the episode happens to be focused on. I DVR'd the series last year, and we've been watching it. As it plays I'm noticing all of the pop music in the background. It could be a stumbling block, but like others in this thread, I'd buy an officially released version in a heartbeat, even though my off-air copies don't look too terrible. Harry
I don't think this is the problem. Unlike tv shows in the past. Most shows make provisions for a dvd release. So music rights would have probably been negotiated when the they first approached the rights holders.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,399 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 09:43 AM

I don't think this is the problem. Unlike tv shows in the past. Most shows make provisions for a dvd release. So music rights would have probably been negotiated when the they first approached the rights holders.
Or so we've come to understand. What then is the reason that COLD CASE is nowhere to be found on DVD, when that current-era show features at least one song prominently in every episode? Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 07 2009 - 11:00 AM

A lot of current releases have had to have been altered. Vegas lost the Elvis song, I believe. Friday Night Lights lost a few. I think it must still be too expensive to negotiate usage rights, even when you're not doing it retroactively.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:22 PM

My understanding is that for "Cold Case," the producers had to choose between licensing the songs for broadcast only or not getting them licensed at all, that it was prohibitively expensive to license them for both broadcast and DVD. The situation may be the same for "Journeyman," that they couldn't afford to clear all the rights upfront.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,399 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:34 PM

DVD. The situation may be the same for "Journeyman," that they couldn't afford to clear all the rights upfront.
This makes a lot of sense, and given that JOURNEYMAN uses even more pop music per episode than COLD CASE, it could very well be a limiting factor for DVD. Of course, the music used is a nicety in JOURNEYMAN - giving clues to those of us in the audience as to just what year our hero has been transported. It would be missed, but I could see the studio substituting generic music if they thought a DVD of the series would sell. Harry
My DVD Collection

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 07 2009 - 06:28 PM

I actually don't like wall-to-wall music all that much. It seems like a lazy way (probably read: less expensive than period details, in reality) to establish a moment in time. But, once the decision was made to include it, I have a tough time supporting a release even if I know the studio's hands are tied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users