Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Please Help! School project / Digital Distribution and the Entertainment Industry

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I posted here but I'm reaching out to you guys for a little bit of help. I'm doing a research paper on digital distribution in the entertainment industry (covering print media, movies, music, tv, and video games), and I'm trying to find any info I can regarding sales figures for digital distribution, as well as charts of sales for present and future.

Also, if any of you have access to charts that show a progression of VHS to DVD, or Cassette to CD, etc. etc., that'd be amazing. I'm just trying to show how one format gradually takes over another, etc., then introduce the idea of digital distribution, and show how the entertainment industry heads feel that it will or will not take over Blu-Ray, CD, etc. as we move forward.

(My paper will cover both rentals and purchases.)

Thanks so much!! It's due in a few days, so asap Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

-Mike
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 02:21 PM

O'yes... procrastination is your friend. Posted Image

You can find the DVD player sales figures by Year/Month at the theDigitalbits.com (direct link). But I'm not sure you'll find much in the way of digital distribution (i.e. how many downloads per month).

A lot of that data is still being held very tightly by the online distributors for various marketing and competitive strategy reasons. Instead you might be better off looking at total number of subscribers or something along those lines. Maybe even just sales of hardware units (i.e. Roku, PS3, Xbox360 and other media extenders).

Lastly try digging around engadgetHD.com for analysis projections (they love those things) to use as a basis for any arguement with respect to future adoptence.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users