-

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicating Account Settings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 03:40 PM

The Mac I use at work was originally configured by someone else, who used their name for the initial account. Without thinking, I just continued using that account. I am the only person who uses this computer, and it annoys me that it shows up as someone else's on the network. Now I learn you can't really change the account name once it's been created, at least you can't with 10.4.11. Yes, you can technically change the name, but not the short name which seems to be what the network looks at.

So, I want to create a new account with my name, but I don't want to go through the hassle of reconfiguring everything. I don't save files or anything else to my account folder or desktop, so is there an easy way to just duplicate all the configurations to the new account, like copying all the contents of the home (user) folder?

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.