What's new

SCROOGE (Albert Finney) is coming this October to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I see that it's on HDnet next week. They just recently showed "Saturday Night Fever", also a Paramount title that Ron has confirmed is coming to BD next year.
Ron? Any news? Would be great to have but until then I'm sure the HDnet version will tide me over.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It was on HDNet Movies last year, too. Just because it's on that channel doesn't mean it's coming.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ah. Didn't know it was on last year. They just showed "SNF" also from paramount which IS coming which is why I thought it was possible. (Obviously not for this season but maybe next)
Perhaps Ron who is also a fan of the film can find out.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If it's coming, I hope they at least did a little clean-up on whatever print they use. The print on the current dvd looks kinda shabby. And if they have audio commentary by Finney & Bricusse?? I'm in!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is my favorite holiday film.
I was thrilled to get an OAR DVD release.
Now I would be even more thrilled to the Blu-Ray,
as it seemed like it took forever for it to show up on DVD.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Mark Walker said:
This is my favorite holiday film.
I was thrilled to get an OAR DVD release.
Now I would be even more thrilled to the Blu-Ray,
as it seemed like it took forever for it to show up on DVD.
There's another seasonal favorite that is taking an even longer time to get an official (and remastered) DVD release: Jeff Goldblum's 1980 made-for-TV movie The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It is still a fight and I can't seem to track down who exactly owns it. I'm afraid it may have fallen into obscurity. Both of these versions of "A Christmas Carol" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" used to air annually; thankful HDNet Movies has corrected this oversight with Scrooge. Wish someone would do the same for the other one.
Ron, by any chance are you also a fan of this TV movie? ;)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980) (TV)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll echo the comment that just because it was shown on HDNET
doesn't mean a release is imminent.
I have heard nothing, but that doesn't mean anything either.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
"Scrooge" has been airing on HDNET during the holidays for some time. I have been an HDNET subscriber for close to 5 years, and recall that the film has been part of their December lineup since at least 2006.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this version. I'd love to see it, especially in HD.

I collect all Scrooge/Christmas Carol movies on SDVD. This year I'm buying the 1979 Christmas Carol film starring Henry Winkler as scrooge.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Bryan^H said:
I've never seen this version. I'd love to see it, especially in HD.
I collect all Scrooge/Christmas Carol movies on SDVD. This year I'm buying the 1979 Christmas Carol film starring Henry Winkler as scrooge.
I'm not surprised you haven't seen it before. This gets constantly overlooked.
It's a fantastic adapation, one where Albert Finney gave one heck of a performance. The musical aspect is one of the most memorable and it will be stuck with you for the rest of your life (in a good way). And coming from someone who is not a fan of musicials at all, that is a high compliment.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
ChrisCook said:
It's a fantastic adapation, one where Albert Finney gave one heck of a performance. The musical aspect is one of the most memorable and it will be stuck with you for the rest of your life (in a good way). And coming from someone who is not a fan of musicials at all, that is a high compliment.
Agreed. When I saw it in the theater back in the early 70s, I considered it an instant classic.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
ChrisCook said:
I just ordered it from Amazon. Probably won't arrive until after Christmas, but oh well. I'm looking forward to it.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
If it's coming, I hope they at least did a little clean-up on whatever print they use. The print on the current dvd looks kinda shabby. And if they have audio commentary by Finney & Bricusse?? I'm in!
That is my hope, too, to hear from Albert Finney and Leslie Bricusse, along with the televised bumpers/end credits, if they begin working on this fairly soon. White Christmas is on the schedule for November 2nd, and I'm hoping this is received well enough for the studio to go forward with Scrooge.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, this film, is on the top of Paramount's list to release on Blu-ray - don't hold your breath - really, don't. It'll be years before this film is ever released, if it is ever released

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Scrooge (1970) is being released by Paramount on October 11 on blu-ray. Amazon already has cover artwork up on their web site.
For some reason, The Digital Bits reported that Richard Donner's Scrooged is being released on the same day, but I don't see any signs of it. I wonder if The Digital Bits mixed up two movies...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh
Scrooge (1970) is being released by Paramount on October 11 on blu-ray. Amazon already has cover artwork up on their web site.
For some reason, The Digital Bits reported that Richard Donner's Scrooged is being released on the same day, but I don't see any signs of it. I wonder if The Digital Bits mixed up two movies...
What a GREAT early Christmas present for all of us who admire that wonderful film so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks