-

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Dark Knight (Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
213 replies to this topic

#201 of 214 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 05:52 AM

What's with the spoilers? Believe it or not some people haven't seen this thing yet.

#202 of 214 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
What's with the spoilers? Believe it or not some people haven't seen this thing yet.

It's pretty standard to talk about the film's details when discussing the quality, especially if it's related to specific scenes where problems might crop up.

#203 of 214 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 06:52 AM

Glitches, Easter eggs...

I picked up the Blockbuster rental yesterday. It's sitting at home right now on the kitchen counter. I will watch it in the next few days, perhaps even tonight.

So the only people who should be reading this thread are people who saw the film in the theater, got it.

#204 of 214 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:01 PM

Quote:
The Dark Knight Blu-Ray Sales Shatter All Records
Sales of Over 1.7 Million Blu-ray Discs™ Worldwide After One Week

Last update: 12:00 a.m. EST Dec. 17, 2008
BURBANK, Calif., Dec 17, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- --Over 1 Million Blu-ray Discs™ Sold in U. S. Alone

The Dark Knight took the world by storm on Blu-ray and DVD, breaking records for 2008. The blockbuster hit from acclaimed director Christopher Nolan became an instant must-own classic with Blu-ray sales of over 1.7 million units and total DVD and Blu-ray sales of 13.5 million worldwide*, including consumer sales and rental sales, in one week. Brisk consumer sales - totaling over 10 million with one week of sales reported - are expected to continue through the holiday season. The Dark Knight is the best selling Blu-ray title in history and will become the best selling 2008 title overall this week. The response to the digital copy offering included on the Blu-ray and Special Edition DVD has been remarkable with the number of consumers activating their digital copies approaching 300,000. The Dark Knight is already the number one movie for the year on the iTunes 2008 Chart.

The Dark Knight marks the first time that a major feature film has been shot in part using IMAX® cameras, marking a revolutionary integration of film formats. The Dark Knight Blu-ray disc takes advantage of the marriage of IMAX® and 35mm formats by using the hybrid master to replicate the unique theatrical experience. The IMAX scenes are also included on the 2-disc Special Edition as bonus materials.

* The Dark Knight figures included sales data from US, UK, Canada, Japan, Benelux and Australia
SOURCE: Warner Bros Home Entertainment Group
The Dark Knight Blu-Ray Sales Shatter All Records - MarketWatch

#205 of 214 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
As far as the EE discussions, is it possible that in some of the examples people are mistaking an artifact of the photography for edge enhancement? A lot of the 35mm interiors are shot with medium-long anamorphic lenses. The characters are often in shadows and backlit by sources such as windows which are outside the plane of focus and make halo-like rings around the darker foreground elements that are in focus. I see a lot more of this than video-domain edge enhancement although there are infrequent and minor instances that look like that, too.

Posted Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Young

The problem is that when most people see any white around a dark border, they don't ask where it may have come from in the photographic process, but rather jump straight to EE was applied.

The thing is, we KNOW that the ringing has nothing to do with the photographic process because none of the HD trailers showed any signs of EE. The very first screenshots from the BD to appear online had a comparison to the same scene from the trailer, which exhibited no EE whatsoever and looked far better.

Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#206 of 214 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatS
Weren't people going back & forth over how green the SD DVD breakthough title ("The Matrix") was?!?!
JJ
--------------------------
Has anyone watched the digital copy on a 4:3 screen?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#207 of 214 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:51 AM

Not sure what size screen it is but I saw the beg. on my SILs ipod. It was letterboxed.

#208 of 214 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 22 2008 - 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Not sure what size screen it is but I saw the beg. on my SILs ipod. It was letterboxed.

you saw the beg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
Weren't people going back & forth over how green the SD DVD breakthough title ("The Matrix") was?!?!
JJ

and that has what, to do with anything?
facebook.com/whotony

#209 of 214 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
JJ
Has anyone watched the digital copy on a 4:3 screen?

I think you're remembering the ultimate collection release where they greenmogrified the first film to match the sequels.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#210 of 214 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 06:58 AM

Why didn't I hear anybody complain about the edge enhancement applied to the IMAX version, when it was still in the theatres? If it wasn't that noticable on an IMAX screen, it must not be an issue on Blu-Ray, I think?
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#211 of 214 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 08:48 AM

So, does anyone know the total number of BDs sold so far? I read that a total of 13.5 million discs of TDK have been sold in total so far. I'm curious about the total number of BD sales to this point.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#212 of 214 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 23 2008 - 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
So, does anyone know the total number of BDs sold so far? I read that a total of 13.5 million discs of TDK have been sold in total so far. I'm curious about the total number of BD sales to this point.
Don't quote me but I thought The Digital Bits said that 1.7 million Blu-rays sold in the first week but I haven't seen any numbers beyond that first week.

#213 of 214 OFFLINE   emgesp

emgesp

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 07:58 AM

I would say I have very good eyes, but I'm really having trouble finding any halos. Obviously, the IMAX scenes have a slightly sharper and much cleaner look, especially in darker scenes.

Though, I can't find this excessive EE people are complaining about. I can see the excessive DNR in the movie Patton, but any EE in TDK is invisible to me. Maybe, I need to stand closer, but if that is the case then it shouldn't really matter since I'm not watching my 58" plasma from a few inches away.

This EE must be pretty minor, because I don't see it and it hasn't ruined the pq for me. Everything looks great. I just think some people just want to find something wrong with the pq, just for sakes of flaming it. It just gives them something to complain about. These are the same kind of people who complain about everything in life. "I said I wanted cheese on this hamburger, let me talk to your manager."

#214 of 214 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,316 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 03:25 AM

This is a very impressive disc, from a technical standpoint, the film is very good too. I just finally opened my blu ray of this film. I bought a new 65" plasma display recently and had been waiting for the plasma to fully break-in before opening this blu ray. I know the courtroom scene was a source of problems for one of the LCD displays I was considering. But the scene wasn't an issue for plasmas. Plus black levels is another challenging aspect of this disc to test a new TV. When I was reviewing new TVs, this movie was one of several that had scenes looping to demo the TV sets. The opening bank robbery impressed me because it looked so unrealistically real! it just seemed hyper real. It didn't help that the TVs were all set to torch mode. My new plasma is not professionally calibrated yet. It was set-up using settings posted on another site that a professional calibrator posted as a resource for owners. So my set is pretty close to calibrated, but undoubted could be improved. When I played the blu ray, I really appreciated the IMAX sequences. I totally forgot this disc has both IMAX and the normal aspect ratio built in. The bank robbery scene was as real looking as I remember it from my TV demos at the stores. No doubt the larger size of the screen really immerses you!

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow