Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Dark Knight (Recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#1 of 214 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Advanced Member

• 10,150 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 28 2008 - 09:27 AM

http://static.hometh...s_WBD026387.jpg">

MAIN FEATURESPECIAL FEATURESVideo1080p high definition 16x9 variable 2.40:1 and 1.78:1 (IMAX sequences)May be in standard definitionAudioDolby TrueHD: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: English 5.1, English 2.0 (descriptive narration), French 5.1, Spanish 5.1Audio standards my varySubtitlesEnglish, French, Spanish (movie and select bonus materials)

The Feature: 4.5/5
For once Gotham's criminals are scared. Much of that has to do with Batman (Christian Bale), whose one-man war on crime has not only changed the rules of the game but served to inspire people like District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart). It's in Dent that the future of Gotham really lies, a man who can lock up criminals without resorting to the shock and awe of masks and military hardware. Though they've served their purpose, they've also had their price, bringing out a criminal like the Joker (Heath Ledger), who's not only willing to stand toe-to-toe with Batman, but resourceful enough to destroy everything he stands for. Though gasoline and dynamite are used for the work, the Joker's real weapons are chaos and insanity as he pits Gotham's citizens against each other and forces Batman into one impossible scenario after another. Ultimately, stopping the path of destruction will take more than brute force or even superior strategy - Batman will have to become Gotham's guardian, not just its hero.

With its commercial and artistic success, "The Dark Knight" has joined the distinguished ranks of other successful sequels like "The Empire Strikes Back," "T2" and "The Godfather Part II." While I personally prefer "Batman Begins" (I love origin stories) I can't deny "The Dark Knight" is in many ways more exciting and more profound. While the action set pieces have been amped up considerably (and the Bat-Pod is the crazy-coolest thing ever), the themes around heroism, loss and human nature impressed me most on this third viewing. While Dent's fall from grace still seems to lack the necessary foundational elements to make for a convincing turn, what that fall represents to Bruce Wayne, Batman and the city of Gotham resonates more than ever, especially in this current time when hope is so fundamental. And while the film may be viewed as relentlessly grim, it speaks a truth that hope is not realized without loss or tragedy and though one hope may disappear, another must naturally take its place. It's in those crucial moments that people prove themselves and it's in their depiction that "The Dark Knight" is brightest. Though it's merely a glimmer, its potential is great enough to overwhelm the bleakness around it.

Video Quality: 5/5
Attempting to replicate the IMAX presentation that had limited presence, though record-breaking consumption, the film's aspect ratio shifts between 1.78:1 for the IMAX footage and 2.40:1 for the 35mm material. This has caused some rather heated debate on the forum - one side emphasizing director's intent, the other wishing there were simply a choice to view it with a consistent 2.40:1 aspect ratio, as it was seen in most theaters. While having a choice would have pleased everyone, the director opted not to provide it, suggesting that, at least on the superior Blu-Ray format, shifting aspect ratios is how he prefers the film to be seen. And ultimately, as much as I believe in giving people choices, I have to respect the prerogative of the filmmaker.

That said, I found the aspect ratio shift - in both my earlier IMAX screening and this Blu-Ray viewing - largely transparent. On both occasions I had to, at times, consciously check for the 2.40:1 matting, which speaks as much to the execution of the changes as to the engrossing quality of the storytelling. While my IMAX theater experience was not as exciting as others', due to my IMAX venue having a smaller screen than those found elsewhere, I still appreciated the increased detail and depth found in the IMAX footage. And this Blu-Ray presentation replicates that experience, though this might mean that those who saw the film on a larger screen will be disappointed.

I doubt anyone will be disappointed with how the video looks though.

What impresses first is the excellent detail and sharpness - from skin texture to strands of hair - certainly with the finer grain IMAX footage but also with the conventional 35mm material. The grain structure on the latter is more apparent, but I found its visibility reassuring, a sign of the lack of noise reduction. Black levels are equally impressive, their depth and inkiness being particularly important given the naturalistic, available light cinematography that defines the film's look. Colors - though somewhat limited in use - also have very good depth and saturation.

The minor issues - so minor I don't think they necessitate a reduction in score - are the occasional presence of slight halos along high contrast edges and some subtle black crush here and there. These issues could also be inherent to the source material.

All-in-all it's an excellent video transfer that I expect will be the latest go-to demo disc in home theaters.

Audio Quality: 5/5
The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio mix is highly immersive, offering beautifully seamless directional effects, clean and clear dialogue and deep and powerful LFE. The latter element will probably impress the most, being used aggressively but effectively in both atmospheric and environmental sound effects. Whizzing bullets, caped crusader flyovers and enveloping echo effects will also leave their mark. Though silkiness of violins in the score is usually a good indicator of a track's level of detail, the dissonant Joker theme, played on a cello, is also a good gauge, the subtle bite of the bow on the strings coming through wonderfully. Though perhaps more subtle in its sound design compared to something like "Transformers," it is nonetheless a reference quality track.

The 640 kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 track sounds constrained and less detailed in comparison, though I imagine most would have trouble differentiating between options without some aggressive A-B switching.

Special Features: 3.5/5
Viewers will probably find Disc One's behind-the-scenes "Focus Points" the most interesting, with the highlights on Disc Two being the trailers and image galleries. The rest has little replay value, though ardent fans will likely appreciate the inclusion of the History Channel programs. Personally, I would have preferred more interviews or an audio commentary with the cast and crew.

[DISC ONE]

Focus Points: Eighteen behind-the-scenes featurettes totaling over an hour can be viewed at select points during the film or accessed separately. The pieces are uniformly fascinating, if sometimes a bit too brief (though no time is wasted with the the use of talking head footage). All are in high definition with stereo audio.
  • The Prologue (8m48s): The filming of the opening sequence along with the advantages and challenges of shooting in IMAX.
  • The New Bat-Suit (4m47s): Redesigning the costume.
  • Joker Theme (6m18s): Composer Hans Zimmer talks about the Joker's musical theme and shares a few of his thousands of aural experiments.
  • Hong Kong Jump (3m05s): Includes test footage when the jump was conceived as an on-location stunt.
  • Judge's Car Blows Up (1m09s): The challenges of blowing up a car in a high rent neighborhood.
  • Challenges of the Chase, In IMAX (4m04s): Shooting the tunnel chase sequence with the bulk and expense of IMAX cameras.
  • SWAT Van into River (1m44s): The timing and mechanics of the stunt.
  • Miniature Unit (1m35s): The Batmobile rams the garbage truck, in one-third scale.
  • Destruction of Batmobile (2m08s): The multi-stage, multi-location crashing of the Tumbler.
  • Bat-Pod (6m06s): The conception, creation and implementation of the lean, mean two-wheeler.
  • Helicopter Crash (1m12s): Combining CG and practical effects for the crash.
  • Truck Flip (4m02s): The mechanics of the jaw dropping vehicle flip.
  • MCU Explosion (1m12s): Shooting the interiors of the explosion.
  • Lamborghini Crash (1m54s): Crashing the Lamborghini Murcielago (Spanish for "bat"!).
  • Hospital Explosion (6m43s): What it takes to blow up a building with style (and with a principal actor included in the scene).
  • Mob Car Flip (39s): More flipping pistons.
  • String of Sausages Stunt (2m08s): The mechanics and timing of tying five men together and tossing them off a building.
  • Upping the Ante (6m40s): The creative team talk about what they did to make a bigger film.
BD-Live: I had difficulty getting properly registered with Warner Brothers BD-Live. However, with limited access the user can stream 11 Batman motion comics and a variety of Blu-Ray and theatrical trailers. In my setup I had spotty streaming performance with audio dropouts and frequent re-buffering.

[DISC TWO]

"Batman Tech" (45m59s): The History Channel program looks at the various weapons and gadgets used by the Batman character since his creation in 1939, many of which have their grounding in military and espionage hardware. Though slickly produced in the standard History Channel manner and promotional in quality with its copious use of film clips, it has some interesting bits of trivia if few surprises. In high definition with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

"Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of the Dark Knight" (46m02s): The History Channel program explores the pysches of Batman and his various nemeses. Another slickly produced piece offers few new insights, though lovers of all things Batman will eat it up. In high definition with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

"Gotham Tonight" (46m41s): Six episodes of Gotham Cable News, most hosted by Mike Engel (Anthony Michael Hall), provide background story to the film. Things sometimes border on parody, but most of the pieces provide interesting set up for the issues and characters found in the feature. In high definition with stereo audio.
  • "Election Night" (7m58s): The election of Harvey Dent.
  • "Billionaire Without A Cause" (9m41s): Profile on Bruce Wayne.
  • "Escalation" (7m52s): Discussion of Gotham's criminal landscape.
  • "Top Cop" (6m14s): Profile on Lt. Jim Gordon and the Major Crimes Unit.
  • "Cops and Mobsters" (7m06s): Mobster Sal Maroni and Commissioner Loeb go head-to-head.
  • "Gotham's White Knight" (7m40s): In-studio interview with District Attorney Harvey Dent.
Galleries: Sizable image collection includes the Joker cards, concept art, poster art and production stills.

Trailers and More (8m48s): Includes three theatrical trailers and six TV spots. Each are in high definition with stereo audio on the trailers and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on the TV spots.

[DISC THREE]

Digital Copy: Download a digital copy for playback on computer or portable video device. Compatible with both Mac and Windows.

Recap

The Feature: 4.5/5
Video Quality: 5/5
Audio Quality: 5/5
Special Features: 3.5/5

Overall Score (not an average): 4/5

The grim but thrilling - and equally thought provoking - sequel to "Batman Begins" gets reference audio and video treatment and an acceptable, though slightly disappointing, set of special features. The release is nevertheless recommended based on the strength of the feature and its technical presentation.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#2 of 214 Todd smith

Todd smith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 10:26 AM

Great review. I got a chance to watch this as well and agree with everything you said. Ref video and audio. I loved the variable AR and think it provided a nice impact to the film and seems obvious that this was the way Nolan wants this film to be seen. Nice jobPosted Image

#3 of 214 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 01:34 PM

An excellent review. I am really stoked about watching this film again. It is my absolute favourite of the year...no other film I've watched this year even comes close to it IMHO. I can't wait to pick this up. Posted Image

Posted Image
Recently watched- Quadrophenia, Armored, Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol, Arrow: Season 1, The Road, Hanna, The Rock, Fist Of Legend, 48 Hrs., Psycho III, Predator 3D, Gravity 3D, G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D, The Monster Club, Death Valley, The Edge, Night Of The Comet, The Lone Ranger(2013)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 2

"Class isn't something you buy. Look at you, you've got a 500 dollar suit on and you're still a low life."

#4 of 214 Mark Butler

Mark Butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi Cameron. Nice review. If it is not too much trouble could you please check if Japanese subtitles are available (by changing your blu-ray players language menu option)? Thank you in advance.
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be."

#5 of 214 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,149 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 28 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thanks, Cameron! Posted Image

I'm just one of many who's been waiting for this one since the summer! Glad to hear you like the BD presentation so much. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 214 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Advanced Member

• 10,150 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 28 2008 - 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone.

Mark, I changed the PS3 system language to Japanese and there was no Japanese on either disc's menus.

#7 of 214 Ron-P

Ron-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the review, I just added it to my Netflix queue, hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 214 Mark Butler

Mark Butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thank you, Cameron.
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be."

#9 of 214 Southpaw

Southpaw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 12:38 AM

Cameron - you lucky dog...got to review Dark Knight. Can't wait to get this one!

#10 of 214 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Advanced Member

• 10,150 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 29 2008 - 03:32 AM

Jason, sounds like your AE3000 lens memory might be getting a workout with this movie. Posted Image

#11 of 214 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 05:29 AM

Thanks for the great review, Cameron! I can't believe this is only a week and a half away. It seems like I've been waiting on this forever...

One thing that is concerning to me (and no, I'm not going to beat the AR Dead Horse) is the "extras may be in SD" part of the packaging. Now I won't know until I have the disc how much is in SD, but I think we're far enough now into the BD/HD times that all new films/transfers should have all of their extras in HD. It was fine when they were porting over DVD extras onto BD, but Dark Knight was made during a time when HD wasn't unheard of, and I would hope that they made their extras in HD. Hancock is a great example, I believe, with all extras in HD.

That said, it's a minor quibble, and won't stop me from being in front of Best Buy on December 9 at 9:59AM. Oh wait, holiday hours! Make that 8:59AM! Posted Image

#12 of 214 EricSunde

EricSunde

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 08:52 AM

If you are that excited, check your local Best Buy, Carlo. The one by me is opening at midnight.
"Oh, no no no. What I just got is that you're like a total jacked up freaky-deaky crazy pants!!"
-Dr. Venture, The Venture Brothers

#13 of 214 Chris S

Chris S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 09:17 AM

Oh! I hadn't heard about any midnight openings. Might have to check that out. Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#14 of 214 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
One thing that is concerning to me (and no, I'm not going to beat the AR Dead Horse) is the "extras may be in SD" part of the packaging. Now I won't know until I have the disc how much is in SD, but I think we're far enough now into the BD/HD times that all new films/transfers should have all of their extras in HD. It was fine when they were porting over DVD extras onto BD, but Dark Knight was made during a time when HD wasn't unheard of, and I would hope that they made their extras in HD.

Based on the review's descriptions, every extra is in HD, but some are in stereo instead of surround (stereo trailers, surround TV spots, explain that one!)

#15 of 214 Loregnum

Loregnum

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 11:23 AM

5/5 PQ? Reference? The latest demo disc to show off blu-ray video quality?

Ha, that is all funny. This is FAR from reference and the EE is IMO not "minor".

#16 of 214 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loregnum
Ha, that is all funny. This is FAR from reference and the EE is IMO not "minor".

That is probably because of the IMAX DMR, not the disc's transfer.

#17 of 214 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,149 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 29 2008 - 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loregnum
5/5 PQ? Reference? The latest demo disc to show off blu-ray video quality?

Could you please take the time to be more specific about the problems you have with the disc? Without any details, it's hard to take much away from your comments.

What, in your opinion, makes it "FAR from reference?"

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#18 of 214 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 12:59 PM

Well, I didn't think I'd say this about such a highly rated release (and much anticipated by myself and the wife too), but I think this one will go on my Blockbuster rental queue first before I'll likely buy it in the week or two afterward.

A *small* part of that is due to the changing AR issue (and me wanting to be sure it won't bother me despite or perhaps because I did actually see it w/ the full IMAX experience). The other part is that I do seem to be getting my new release rentals very quickly lately -- and possibly more quickly than Amazon will ship this title to me Posted Image -- *plus* the street vendors near my workplace have been very fast at making them available for just $20 a pop, so... Posted Image Besides, I'm probably still gonna be waaaay behind on watching all the BDs (and even DVDs) I've been buying lately, especially after this long BF weekend. Posted Image Posted Image

But yeah, thanks a bunch for another fine review, Cameron. Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#19 of 214 Simon Young

Simon Young

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 01:10 PM

Viewing this on a 42" Pioneer KURO plasma, I found the picture quality quite disappointing. The edge enhancement on the 35mm stuff is pretty distracting and exaggerates grain, giving the picture an edgy, artificial look. This seems totally at odds with the normally slightly soft, smooth look of anamorphically lensed footage. It's most noticeable in wide shots, where fine detail seems to have been lost in the ringing. Faces in close up take on a rough appearance.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. The IMAX footage is as detailed as you'd like without ever looking over-sharp - if it weren't for some curious flickering I'd give it top marks. I don't know why, but throughout the IMAX scenes there is a constant, rapid fluctuation in brightness that is easily visible in the bright areas of the picture. I don't remember seeing this at the IMAX theatre and it's not present in the six-minute prologue on the Batman Begins Blu-ray.

Overall, I'm not blown away by this release.

#20 of 214 SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 04:20 PM

is it just me but for a blockbuster of this size, shouldnt there be more extras? dont get me wrong, im interested in seeing the history channel stuff but the focus points seems slim, maybe they could have added it to teh second disk and increased the time. im especially interested in the model work, tumber, and the incredible batpod. overall a great review for a great movie. cant wait for the batpod bluray.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow