Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Big Lots Sale

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1314 replies to this topic

#1181 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 08 2013 - 10:22 PM

^Thanks!

That almost looks like it could be some BL overstock.  The last time I saw that many copies of Goldmember was a few years ago at BL when I picked one up for $1.  I overpaid by about $.99... :D

#1182 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 09 2013 - 02:57 AM

Bath Bed and Beyond...  Beyond?  I'm not sure I wanna go that far! 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#1183 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 15 2013 - 05:06 PM

Went to BL this evening.  The dry spell continues.  I believe this is the longest time for which there have been no "new" titles at BL.  This in spite of last Sunday's sale flyer showing new titles.

#1184 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 03:06 AM

I picked up another martial arts title.  Heroes of the East. 

Not much at my store either.  I'm populating my horror shelve with amazon and getting better stuff.  Well, I hope better.. .lol 

I keep hoping walmart's $5 bin will become $3.  Not sure why they haven't gone that way yet.  I did see a display of $3 titles in the back near the TVs.  Nothing worth a special trip. MC stuff, like the 2 movies sets.  I just remember the dog movie Bingo (which I'd actually like) and the film Spaced Invaders (which I ordered in a larger set from amazon), each on different sets.  I know both those are on much larger sets with other similar films and not much more. 

Edited by Radioman970, August 16 2013 - 03:12 AM.

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#1185 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 16 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yeah, I really don't understand why WM didn't drop the $5 bin to $3 long ago.  However, I do come up with title every 3-4 months or so. 

Gotta watch out for those MC "sets" as they are the kings of repackaging titles in multiple sets.

I was using Amazon quite a bit until they upped the shipping by a buck.  That extra dollar makes me think twice about certain titles now which really feels strange as it's only a dollar.  Still there are titles I'd purchase for $.01-$1.99 with $2.99 shipping that I'll not bother with at $3.99 shipping.  I currently have a title in my cart that's ~$7 and was about to make the purchase when they changed the shipping rate.  I've been holding off since then because it's now ~$11 instead of ~$10.  I kept thinking many of the vendors (especially the larger ones) would drop their prices a bit to offset the extra shipping charge but that's not happened.

#1186 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 12:16 PM

Oh man, same here with that extra buck at amazon.  Single movie releases suffer the most.  I wish the marketplace would sell stuff at negative numbers. lol (totally serious about that !)   -$1.00 and I've be all over some of that stuff I'm trying to collect for my horror movie madness coming up in a few weeks (I start in September).  It does make spending that magic $25 more attractive though.  Sellers that aren't included in that deal suffer the most.

I got the Spaced Invaders set from amazon for $4.95 but it includes Holy Man, some Eddie Murphy flick.  Both sets (smaller one too) include something called Kazzam with Shaq.  Spaced is a very fun kid's alien movie set during Halloween.  I've never seen the other 2. 

Seems like I picked up Curious George from that bin.  I'm sure now it will appear in a multi movie set as well.  I can't remember what I got before that.  maybe a set with 2 Mark Twain things.  Tommy Kelly's tom Sawyer (echo bridge, great image but plays jerky so not recommended) and Huck finn (with a old looking Ron Howard, haven't watched yet).  But before that it's a blur. 

Edited by Radioman970, August 16 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#1187 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 16 2013 - 06:46 PM

Holy Man - a rather "blah" Eddie Murphy flick.  Watch it once so you can say you've seen it.  That's enough.  I've never seen Spaced Invaders or KazaamSpaced Invaders got a slightly higher IMDB rating than Holy Man but it has a more interesting and fun sounding premis in spite of Roger Ebert giving *it* 1 star and Holy Man 2 (although based on his review I really think I'd like the film and he pretty much says he would have as a kid but as a adult critic can't stand it).  I may look out for that one "just because".  Kazaam sounds pretty bad and I don't care for Shaq's "acting" skills so I'd probably give it a total miss (Ebert gave it a 1 star review and it sounds deserved).

#1188 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 03:17 AM

Ouch.  Although I'm not sure Ebert is the best judge of silly comedies.  Spaced is definitely silly. I don't think I liked it originally, but it definitely grew on me.  I'd put it a few steps below Killer Klowns from Outer Space.   Just got to be in the right mood. 

#1189 of 1315 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 06:17 PM

Woohoo!  We're getting a new Big Lots this fall!

#1190 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 20 2013 - 11:37 AM

Congrats!  Another store or new digs for an existing one?

#1191 of 1315 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 04:01 PM

We had one a few years back and it closed.  The two nearest stores are 30 minutes away.  This one is right on my way to work!

#1192 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 05:05 AM

My town got it's first Chick Fil' A built right in front of our only BL.  Now it's extra crowded all the time.  Oh well... at least I can get a piece of Chicken on an overly sweet bun and some waffle fries with more salt on them than the Atlantic and a $3 shake on my way out of BL. 

Edited by Radioman970, August 21 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#1193 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 07:50 AM

My store had the Babe double feature for $5.  The pig films.  Good pig!  :)   Babe is in full screen.  Babe Pig in the City is Widescreen.  That's the only reason I didn't buy.  Love both films.  a shame.

I did get a copy of Thirst, the odd looking vamp flick.  I didn't see the original Hitcher, which I hope to get.  I'll look better next time. 

#1194 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 28 2013 - 05:47 PM

Finally some "new" stuff.  It was sparse but I found a few from this reported list:

$3
Little Caesar - Robinson
FBI Story - James Stewart
Gypsy - Rosalind Russell/Natalie Wood/Karl Malden

The Palm Beach Story - Claudette Colbert/Joel McCrea

$5
One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest - Jack Nicholson (1 disk snapper - WM has had the 2 disc LE for $5 in the dump bin)
Horse Feathers - Marx Brothers
Monkey Business - Marx Brothers
The Women - Joan Crawford/Rosalind Russell/Paulette Goddard/Joan Fontain and more
Winchester 73 - James Stewart
The Spoilers - John Wayne/Marlene Dietrich
Yankee Doodle Dandy - James Cagney (2-Disc)
Great Ziegfeld - William Powell/Myrna Loy
Key Largo - Bogart/Bacall
Mother of Tears - Unrated

I picked up Winchester 73, The Spoilers, and Gypsy. I'd have purchased Yankee Doodle Dandy, FBI Story and Little Caesar if I'd seen them.  I already own the rest.

#1195 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 03:36 AM

I still need to upgrade my Cuckoos nest.  Planning a blu ray...  I really miss that film but all I have is the original lacking DVD. 

#1196 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted October 01 2013 - 11:47 AM

There's *still* nothing "new" at the store here.  BUT I'm reading about these titles showing up at some locations.

$3 DVD

7th Voyage of Sinbad
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Altered
Beautiful Girls
Beneath
Beneath
BloodRayne 2: Deliverance
Cave, The
Committed
Crossing Guard, The
Desperado
Faculty, The
Fog, The (remake)
Four Rooms
Friday The 13th (Remake)
Gigantic
Glass Shield
Gordy
Grifters
Hancock (2-disc unrated)
House of the Spirits, The
Human Stain, The
Ice Cream Man/Jack Frost 2/Killer Tongue
In America
Interview
Jason Goes to Hell
Jason X
Jersey Girl
Joe Dirt
Keeping Up with the Steins
Kingdom Hospital (Entire Series)
Lost in Yonkers
Man, The
Merlin and the Book of Beasts
Morning Glory
My Boss's Daughter
Neverending Story III, The
Ordinary Decent Criminal
People I Know
Pokemon 4-Ever
Queen Sized
Quick and the Dead, The
Red Belt
Redbelt
Resident Evil: Degeneration
She's So Lovely
Shipping News, The
Skeleton Key, The
Sleuth (remake)
Spymate
Stay
Stepford Wives, The (remake)
SWAT: Firefight
Teaching Mrs. Tingle
Timeline
Tremors 2: Aftershocks
Two Brothers
Ultraman: Season One Vol. One
Vacancy
White Noise
Wishful Thinking
Yards, The
You Don't Mess With the Zohan (extended cut)

$5 Blu-Ray

Act of Vengeance
Children of the Corn: Genesis
Contract, The (BD/DVD)
Dead Awake
Immortal
Intruders
Paperboy, The
Red Lights
Rest Stop: Don't Look Back
Stealth
Stolen
Trespass
Ward, The

Happy hunting! :)

#1197 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 12:10 PM

Mine had nothing much.  :(  

Walmart had a display behind the computer games (that's like The Sticks of wallyworld!!) and there were  afew horror things in there. Including a set of Darkshadows episodes, Thale, some zombie stuff...  quite a few MGM midnight movie doubles with different labels than before since they don't have the nice info on the back.  I got the one with 2 Dr. Goldfoot movies.  Also, a set of cheesy looking Urban Exploits from the 70s and Season 1 of The Cosby Show, all for $5 each.  Also got a set with Christine, The Seventh Sign, The Blob (which I already have) and Fright Night original (which I already have) for $10.  All this from Walmart, not big lots.  Worth a look if you happen to be in there or are missing some MGM MM. 

On Cosby, I was wondering if Shout! if ever going to do a full series on that.  I guess $5 is not too much to risk. 

#1198 of 1315 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,676 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 01 2013 - 01:00 PM

The staff at my store said there is a 20% off Friends & Family event coming up this weekend. In the past it's been Saturday evening with your Rewards card, then Sunday for everyone. With the changes to the Rewards program, I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Nothing really new at my store. Maybe a few titles but nothing really exciting (and none of those listed above).

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#1199 of 1315 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted October 01 2013 - 01:50 PM

Walmart ...  quite a few MGM midnight movie doubles with different labels than before since they don't have the nice info on the back.  I got the one with 2 Dr. Goldfoot movies.

Are you sure those were MGM releases?  The Dr. Goldfoot I got last year is on the TGG Direct label.  They've been re-releasing *lots* of the old Midnight Movie titles.  There are a couple of new 4 film sets that each have a never-before-on-DVD title.

Movies 4 You - Sci-Fi Classics with: The Man from Planet X / Beyond the Time Barrier / The Time Travelers / The Angry Red Planet

Movies 4 You - More Sci-Fi Classics with: The Amazing Transparent Man / Reptilicus / The Neanderthal Man / The Brain That Wouldn't Die

#1200 of 1315 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yep, it's TGG.  I see now...  well, not sure of the quality vs the original releases. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users