Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Big Lots Sale

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1289 replies to this topic

#21 of 1290 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,502 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 10 2008 - 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
Big Lots has had a $3 bin for at least a couple of months, probably longer. Occasionally they advertise new titles but mostly they just randomly throw things in the bin. In my stores, I've yet to see things like the Bond movies. Either they didn't stock them or they sold before I got there.

It's a real hit-or-miss but I stop by every couple of weeks just to see what's there.
At my store, the Bonds were not in the regular DVD area, but had a special table in the "this week's featured items" sale area just inside the front doors.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#22 of 1290 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,670 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 10 2008 - 10:29 AM

Quote:
At my store, the Bonds were not in the regular DVD area, but had a special table in the "this week's featured items" sale area just inside the front doors.
After reading about the Bond dvd's here, I went to a store a day or two later and they "thought" they were sold out. Didn't know about the special featured items table. But now I do!
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#23 of 1290 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted December 14 2008 - 09:05 AM

The Lion's Gate titles are now $2. SWIMMING WITH SHARKS and many others.

I found Season 3 of MOONLIGHTING for $2.

#24 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted December 15 2008 - 12:43 PM

Picked up 5 more:

All of Me. Lion's Gate title. $2. Just watched it and the source print they used is awful. I guess it's worth 2 bucks to be able to see it again. Not quite up there with The Man with 2 Brains but fun.

The Believers. $2. I always think of this film since I have a Ice Tea maker that is old and leaks. Posted Image IO haven't seen this in about 20 years. Man, time flies!

Amityville Horror, the original. $3.

Paths of Glory and The Apartment. $3 each. These were the only ones I planned.

More movies I saw: Ned Kelly (1970 version), Dogsville, L'Enfant, Sabata Trilogy.

Games I saw: Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars, Soldier Elite, Rogue Trooper, Dungeon Lords.

I'll probably get Ned Kelly, Sabata Trology and Spellforce 2 some time in the future.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#25 of 1290 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 07:16 AM

Just found a biglots right near my house. Never been in one before - holy smokes, that was a low rent K-Mart! It's like a dollar superstore or something.

I was actually kind of disappointed in the DVD selection - mostly mainstream crap I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole. I was hoping for more of the real supercheap public domain and bootleg discs, some grindhouse horror and exploitation.

Still I grabbed An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 for 3 bucks. Hell, I turn around and sell it at a used store, I'm barely out the price of a rental.

#26 of 1290 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,670 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 29 2009 - 01:28 PM

Like many other stores they put out new product on Tuesdays and the good titles seem to go fast. Low rent K-Mart. That sounds about right.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#27 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 11:31 PM

I bought a huge stack yesterday at my Big Lots. King Kong (the original), the New World (never seen), THX 1138 2-DVD version (gonna try and return an opened single DVD version wish luck ha ha), Rebel without a Cause 2-DVD (never seen!!!), Devil's Backbone, Bowfinger, Stuart Little 3 (never seen),...I think that was it. Very happy. I also bought about 20 flicks from DeeDee's recent 2 for 1 sale. I'm all set for flicks for a while.

Btw, saw but didn't but the Darkman flicks, Maltese Falcon, many other good ones. I also like their computer game selection, but they didn't have a whole lot that I liked this time.

Walmart had 2 Peanuts films for $4 each, A Boy name Charlie Brown from 1969 and Snoopy Come Home from 1972. Haven't seen these since I was a kid. I think this kind of thing is timeless though. Poor ole Chuck! I think I relate to his hang ups more now than I did then.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#28 of 1290 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 30 2009 - 05:41 AM

Big Lots scare me. But those are some interesting titles in your latest post, James...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#29 of 1290 Mariners

Mariners

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 06:42 AM

I will have to take a look at some of these. Thanks

#30 of 1290 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 11:38 AM

Tuesdays, eh? I might have to swing by there and check things out. Perhaps my luck will turn around. I'd love to get me some Kong action!

#31 of 1290 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,670 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 30 2009 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
...Maltese Falcon,...
I should look for the Maltese Falcon. It might class up my dvd shelf. I could put it in between Drowning Mona and What's The Worst That Could Happen?
Quote:
Big Lots scare me.
Nothing to be afraid of. Just dress appropriatly and keep your wallet in your front pocket Posted Image . BTW, I usually park in front of the donut shop at the other end of the strip mall and walk, in a round-about way, to BL.
Quote:
I'd love to get me some Kong action!
Think I'll leave that one alone Posted Image .

#32 of 1290 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 30 2009 - 01:37 PM

Posted Image

Quote:
I should look for the Maltese Falcon. It might class up my dvd shelf. I could put it in between Drowning Mona and What's The Worst That Could Happen?

Isn't "Dude, Where's My Car?" in there somewhere? Posted Image I think Bogie might have been in that one, too!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#33 of 1290 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 31 2009 - 02:53 PM

I picked up two more HBO films at Big Lots today, "Winchell" and "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers." $3 apiece.
Rich Gallagher

#34 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted February 02 2009 - 12:02 AM

Good luck. I hope everybody gets a big huge stack of goodies!! I was very excited when I saw King Kong. I have the Peter Jackson version but the classic oldie I only have EP on a VHS. Can't wait to view it again but on DVD this time. Posted Image

Btw, watched 2 of my purchases over the weekend:

Bowfinger, which I've seen about 3 times before, causes headaches because it's so funny! Not long ago a poster on another forum said Bowfinger was the last good live action movie Murphy and Martin made, way back in 1999. It was a coincidence that Big Lots had it just days after I read that. Anyway, it sounds about right. Murphy is particularly top notch playing the geeky brother of a big action movie star. The road crossing scene is one of the funniest things I've ever seen Murphy do. ...Oh heavenly God oh heavenly God...!!! Posted Image

Stuart Little 3 was boring but mercifully short. Even at my age (40s) I can watch the first 2 films and find them heartwarming, nostalgic, etc. Fox is superb as the voice of Stuart in both of those. Plus all the effects are visually appealing and all the humor works. But this final sequel, making the series a trilogy, couldn't elevate itself above mediocrity in almost every respect ("almost every" the canoe scene with the fish is pretty good). Fox does his best with the material, but it's all just too weak. I actually liked the choice to go all animated, but it looks unfinished! When textures are used they make the scene look like a video game. There's not enough detail in the main characters, especially Stuart himself, to make it pleasant to look at. My guess is the budget here couldn't afford anything of quality and they were lucky to do what they did. Short version: the kiddies will like this you won't.My dog Scooter, who watches many movies including about 90% of Homeward Bound 2 heh heh, liked the cat and tiger but yawned when they left the screen.

#35 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted February 02 2009 - 12:09 AM

Quote:
I should look for the Maltese Falcon. It might class up my dvd shelf. I could put it in between Drowning Mona and What's The Worst That Could Happen?.... .
Posted Image

Great film. I didn't buy it hoping there was a Special Edition out there somewhere. I nearly didn't get Kong because I know that has a tin box edition. But I figured I'd never buy that one and I crave the film a lot.

#36 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 10:02 AM

Some great Big Lot purchases (all $3):

Whoopi Goldberg: Back to Broadway. The 25th Anniversary. That's $22 below retail friends!! It's worth 3 times that at least just for the 1985 show she did. Very happy with this one! This is why I friggin love Big Lots!! Posted Image

DC Cab. Haven't seen this in years. Can't wait!

The Sugarland Express. Early Spielberg, although not my fav...I do love Goldie Hawn enough that I named my "child" Goldie after her. :*)

Fort Apache, The Bronx. I've never seen this.

Taking these back:
Rumble Fish. It's the '98 edition. There's a better one from '05.
The Thunderbirds. That live action movie directed by Jonathan Frakes. I'd really like to see this!! But this DVD is in Full screen adn there's a widescreen all over the net for just a little more. I'll get it later.

#37 of 1290 Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 02:02 PM

Saw a bunch of 2-DVD bundles for $6 each:

Cinderella Man/Seabiscuit
Children Of Men/12 Monkeys
Eternal Sunshine.../Lost In Translation
Kicking and Screaming/Cat In The Hat
8 Mile/How High
Dazed and Confused/Fast Times at Ridgemont High (old versions)
The Door In The Floor/Swimming Pool
The Break-Up/Along Came Polly
Jarhead/The Kingdom
American Pie/American Pie: Band Camp

#38 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Neutron
Saw a bunch of 2-DVD bundles for $6 each:

Cinderella Man/Seabiscuit
Eternal Sunshine.../Lost In Translation
I bought the Eternal Sunshine/LiT one. Nice deal! They're in widescreen too!

I didn't see Cinderella Man/Seabiscuit. I'll be in there today and look for that.

#39 of 1290 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
Some great Big Lot purchases (all $3):

Whoopi Goldberg: Back to Broadway. The 25th Anniversary. That's $22 below retail friends!! It's worth 3 times that at least just for the 1985 show she did. Very happy with this one! This is why I friggin love Big Lots!! Posted Image

DC Cab. Haven't seen this in years. Can't wait!

The Sugarland Express. Early Spielberg, although not my fav...I do love Goldie Hawn enough that I named my "child" Goldie after her. :*)

Fort Apache, The Bronx. I've never seen this.

Taking these back:
Rumble Fish. It's the '98 edition. There's a better one from '05.
The Thunderbirds. That live action movie directed by Jonathan Frakes. I'd really like to see this!! But this DVD is in Full screen adn there's a widescreen all over the net for just a little more. I'll get it later.
I bought some cool stuff on the 13th. DC Cab was terrific! Hadn't seen that in years. Made me want to see more old 80s stuff. I made a list of stuff I plan to buy.

Fort Apache, The Bronx was a little dated, with a who's who in stereotypes, but really good anyway. Like Hill Street Blues the movie.

Damn, that Whoopi Goldberg set was a freaking great deal! Glad I saw that.

I wish I'd picked up Space Jam when I saw it. Posted Image I just watched Loony Tunes Back in Action last night (which I also got from BL) and it was better than expected.

The other day I bought 9 (NINE!) Pc games from them. The next day I returned 4 and the guy looked at me funny. Haven't you ever seen a loser dude? We like our movies and games. But these suck and I want my money back! Posted Image They were unopened so he had to comply. To be honest, I ended up trading those 4 on 4 different ones. Loser! hahahahaa!!! Big Lots=Loser HQ. They need to put in benches and those scooters with the shopping basket and we'll hang around all day like the walmart people.

#40 of 1290 Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 02:36 PM

More $3 bargains found this week.

Stranger Than Fiction
Matchstick Men
Walk Hard (Theatrical Version)
Year Of The Dragon
Oh, God!
Oh, God! You Devil