What's new

Blu ray/ receiver audio help (1 Viewer)

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
Hi everyone!,

I am in the process of deciding a blu ray player and I am set on getting the sony BDP S550. I really need help on what type of audio i should do. My receiver is a yamaha rx-v659 and it does not have hdmi. When i hook up the blueray player i will use hdmi only for video as it will run directly into the tv. However what should I do for audio. To get the best sound out of the movies should i use optical, digital coxial, or the 7.1 multi-channel outputs?
Also i really dont know what the multi channel outputs do or how they work so I would appreciate any help.

thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
To get the HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD MA) tracks from blu ray movies, you must use the 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. You'll have to read in the player's manual, how to set it up for that. Should be pretty straight forward.

Then, when you watch a movie, instead of pushing the "DVD" button on the remote/receiver, push the "Multi-Channel" button. When using the 7.1 analog outputs, the player is doing the processing, so the bass management will come from the player and not the receiver. You'll also need to set distances and levels in the player's set up. The Sony BDP-S550 is the one I like too, and will be the one I get, when I can get one. Good luck!

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
thanks for the help!

two more question tho,

Will i be losing some sound quality because this is anaolog and I am not using the hdmi for all the high res audio codecs such dtshd-ma? in otherwords will by using multi channel outputs and having the blu ray player decode, will it sound the same as using hdmi and having a receiver decode?

2nd question,
are blu ray movies in 7.1?

thanks!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As long as your player decodes the audio properly, you should hear no difference between the two, once your player is calibrated for your system.

As far as 7.1 movies are concerned, there are very few BD films in 7.1. But this could change.

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
thanks but im wondering now...

currently with my dvd player i use an opitcal cable and my receiver has the option of PLIIx which takes the 5.1 sound and makes it 7.1 by taking the surround speakers signal and feeding it to the surround back speakers as well.

However, for blu ray if i use the multi channel inputs can i still matrix the sound from 5.1 to 7.1?

stickb5

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Reyes
i really dont think that you can change anything in the receiver once you select the multichannel, i believe that the multichannel out of the bluray is just going to use the Amplifier part of your AV receiver.

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
ok thanks, since i cant do PLIIx through my player what if i did it manaully.
what i mean is i could get two rca y connectors and connect both to the surround left and right outputs of the blu ray player. Then since the surround outputs are split into two, now take both and input them on both the surround and surround back inputs of the receiver.

in other words i split the surround output of the BD player and use this signal for both the surround and surround back speakers.

However, im pretty sure this will operate but what i dont know is about the splitt. If i splitt the surround output from the blu ray player into two (and thats for both left and right) will this degrade the signal quality and therefore will degrade the sound for all 4 of the surround speakers? i hope you all understand what im saying.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks