What's new

Films that need DVD Releases with their Original Aspect Ratio, anamorphic if need be! (1 Viewer)

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Well, can't get more definitive than THAT! Now, what about Sabrina? DVD is full frame - released in October 1954. I've only seen it full frame, but suddenly if one looks at the headroom - well, a bit much, methinks. What thinks you?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
SABRINA began production in late September 1953, and Paramount went all wide-screen in mid-March of that year.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The tech folks at Paramount are under the impression that wide-screen at the studio began with VistaVision. In the second Martin and Lewis box set, all the VV titles are 1.85 but LIVING IT UP is 1.37. It should be 1.66.

In fact, there's an interview with director Norman Taurog in Motion Picture Daily discussing the difference in composing a comedy for wide-screen.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
SABRINA's aspect ratio is actually 1.75:1. The DVD is a true open matte and using a crop function in a program such as The KMPlayer works quite nicely.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

In my review, I quoted one of our resident experts Jack Theakston who told me SABRINA was supposed to be framed at 1.75:1. I checked this before I posted the review because it looked like way too much headroom.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I'm glad to know my eyes aren't deceiving me. I wonder if we could make a list of all the transfers from 1954 releases that are incorrectly transfered? I think it would be interesting.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
First, you'd have to compile a list of films from 1954 that are OUT on DVD to begin with! ;)

This is, unfortunately, a problem that isn't just limited to films that were made in 1954, of course.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

This I know. The already mentioned The Night Of The Hunter, The Bad Seed, the region one of Dial 'M' For Murder - I'm going to go through my DVDs and see what else I can find.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

From my collection alone

Them!
Bride of the Monster (Wade Williams)
Creature With The Atom Brain
Moby Dick*
Deadly Mantis (not even true open matte, heavily zoomed in)
She Demons
Monster From Green Hell
Invisible Invaders
Plan 9 From Outer Space (Wade Williams)
Reptilicus*
Blood Feast*

Too tight on a 16:9 zoom, copes ok on a 14:9 zoom

Were Disney's first two 1.66:1 animated features, 101 Dalmations and Sword in the Stone, filmed open matte? The DVDs of them are 4:3, probably because everyone whined when Jungle Book and Robin Hood were released widescreen

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
This should really be done in a new thread, but here goes:

Ma and Pa Kettle at Home
Ma and Pa Kettle at Waikiki
The Kettles in the Ozarks
The Kettles on Old MacDonald's Farm
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Revenge of the Creature
The Creature Walks Among Us
Baby Doll
Kiss Me Kate
The Long, Long Trailer
Cowboy
The Moon-Spinners
In Search of The Castaways
Blackbeard's Ghost

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The new films actually composed for wide-screen began hitting theaters around July/August of 1953. Prior to that, the films shown theatrically in wide-screen would have been filmed prior to the transitional period of April/May. I would start a list based on releases post 7/1/53.

I made a mistake in assuming SABRINA was 1:66. (Making assumptions is a dangerous thing!) Paramount did convert to a house ratio of 1:66 in late March of 1953, and that remained their preferred ratio until the introduction of VistaVision in October, 1954.

However, SABRINA was a rare exception and should be 1:75.

By the way, I found this some time ago but forgot to post it.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Maybe we should spin this off into a new thread? Of those you listed, Cowboy is correctly widescreen on a region 2 DVD I have.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I agree, the information is going to get lost here.

Perhaps the moderators would like a separate, pinned Aspect Ratio thread for this forum? If so, I will be happy to contribute.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Thanks, Robert! This thread is a wonderful idea, and hopefully will do some good in correcting a lot of misinformation out there - at least, for those with open minds who believe proof when it's offered.

Just to have it in this thread - Columbia's Anatomy Of A Murder DVD is incorrectly transfered open matte - the UK DVD is anamorphic and correctly transfered. (Unless Columbia has done a new transfer that I somehow missed).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have an high definition recording of Anatomy of a Murder on my DVR that HD Net Movies had months ago. It was in its OAR.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks