Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Master Audio and TrueHD on Same Disc

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted November 22 2008 - 07:05 AM

I rented the Rolling Stones "Shine a Light" Blu-Ray the other day. I found it strange that it contained both Master Audio and TrueHD sound tracks. I don't understand why. Do they sound different? I thought it would not matter which HD format you include since they are both lossless. So wouldn't putting two flavors on the same disc be redundant? And wast space?

BTW - I was not impressed at all with the sound. I'm used to watching concerts that hit you hard (almost like being there). This one did not. I tried all 3 sound tracks.

#2 of 6 Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted November 22 2008 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Willow
I rented the Rolling Stones "Shine a Light" Blu-Ray the other day. I found it strange that it contained both Master Audio and TrueHD sound tracks. I don't understand why. Do they sound different? I thought it would not matter which HD format you include since they are both lossless. So wouldn't putting two flavors on the same disc be redundant? And wast space?

BTW - I was not impressed at all with the sound. I'm used to watching concerts that hit you hard (almost like being there). This one did not. I tried all 3 sound tracks.

I agree with you about this mix as it was a bit odd. Definately not one of the better BR concerts for audio and not one you would throw in to "demo" your system.

#3 of 6 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,293 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted November 22 2008 - 08:15 AM

I don't see it being much different than including DD and DTS lossy formats on the same DVD. They are almost always different mixes. Some people may not have any DTS capability I guess.

#4 of 6 bases1616

bases1616

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Willow

You do not see it that much with DTS-HD MA and DTHD on the same disc. Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the Blue Undergound movies all have both audio tracks. Final Countdown and Stendhal Syndrome are the titles out so far from Blue Underground. Some of the older Blu-ray players still do not support DTS-HD MA so the DTHD track becomes important for those consumers.

#5 of 6 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 12:52 PM

That would be my guess : TrueHD for analog or HDMI PCM multichannel output from players that don't have DTS-HD MA decoders, DTS-HD MA for SPDIF (coax/optical) output for receivers without HDMI or multichannel analog input.
A PCM track & a standard 1536 kbps DTS track would achieve the same result with less confusion, I think.

#6 of 6 Sergio

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts
  • LocationGastonia, NC. USA

Posted November 26 2008 - 10:10 AM

Well guys, try John Woo's "Red Cliff" on Blu-ray and you will notice the difference.

Mandarin DTS HD 7.1 Master Audio

Mandarin Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1

Mandarin LPCM 7.1

Enjoy!

Regards,
Sergio Perez-More

"Long Live Dolby Digital TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio"

Blu-ray/HD DVD & DVD/DVD-A/SACD Collection

Sergio's Home Theater & Bar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow