What's new

floorstanding vs inwall speakers (1 Viewer)

firebrick

Agent
Real Name
mark
I currently have def tech 7002's clr2002 center, and bp2x and bp8s for surrounds. I am finally setting up my room for dedicated home theater so I had a home theater guy come out to see what kind of plan they came up with. He told me that they would rather use atlantic technology inwall speakers than my def techs when I asked about using my speakers to save money. He said he could get as good sound out of the inwalls. Is this true? I always thought my def techs were pretty nice.

mylan

Screenwriter
Typically speaking, any speaker will perform better than in-walls unless you go with something like Triad which is major money. it sounds like your HT guy is a dealer for Atlantic Technology and has an alterior motive in recommending them (selling you speakers). The only place I would use in-walls would be for surrounds if you don't have the space.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Look around the forum and see how many "Home Theater Guys" recommend whatever they are selling over what you have. In-wall is always a sacrifice over a good pair of regular speakers. Unfortunately, these HT "experts" are a bit of a blight on the industry.

firebrick

Agent
Real Name
mark
I figured he didnt know what was going on when he said if we used my 7002s we would have to point them at each other instead of toward you, unless I am confused on this...unless he read about pointing the subs towards each other and got confused.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
In walls will never sound as good as towers. (unless you spend a LOT of money) Even if you spent $15K for a pair of inwalls, imagine how towers or bookshelves would sound at that price point. Sounds like he just wants to sell you more then you need.

I would never downgrade my system. Im not married or anything..but WAF will not play a roll in my living room or home theater room lol.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've heard that one before too! So young.....so much to learn
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. I'm not married either but my friends wifes come over and tell me what to do. And when to do it! And I'm afraid of what might happen if I don't
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

BTW, from what I've read. Atlantic Technology seems to make real good in-walls, but I'd also stick with the towers.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Here is a link to some inwalls, these are outstanding. I don't own them but I have listened to them and they will blow your mind regardless of price.
Inwallist

srubenst

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I am building a dedicated theater. 16' wide by 23' long. My initial design was to use 2 SVS PB13-Ultra subs in the front corners, and use the L/R/C speakers from SVS as well (M series). Since the SVS solution for surround speakers is to use their bookshelf speakers, I was thinking about using the Emotiva surround speakers that I saw at the Audioholics trade show in Orlando (sounded nice). I've heard a lot about SVS subs, but no personal experience with SVS's other products. I know they had crossover issues with their M series, but I believe it's been corrected.

So, I met with a "home theater guy" and he came back with a totally different plan for me. He is suggesting to use IN-WALL JBL subs instead of SVS. He said to use three subs..one under the screen, and one in the columns that will be inbetween the 1st and 2nd row of seats. For the L/R/C, he suggested Triad, but later changed to Cantons. And for surround speakers, Triads in the columns. Then, since he suggested a 9.3 system, he suggested JBL In-Ceiling speakers.

Please..thoughts..I am very interested in what you guys think of these designs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks