What's new

Onkyo TSR506 and energy speakers (1 Viewer)

drvai

Grip
Real Name
Felipe
Hi to everyone. I'm complete ignorant in terms of surround sounds.

I'm going to buy my first one and for black friday, circuit city is offering the Onkyo 506 with a set of Energy 5.1 take classic for 599.

I was wondering how good is this system. I don´t need much power and is about the budget I was expecting to spend.

Also... Can I arrange a 7.1 system to work as a 5.1??? I really don't need the 7.1 arragement and I don't want that many speakers.

Thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You can set-up most receivers to the number of speakers you're using. This is definitely true of the Onkyos.

The system is fine. Consider it a good entry level system (as opposed to quite a number of available bad entry level systems.) But $599 is only $80 less than you can get it on Amazon right now. Not sure I'd fight the crowds for that. Also, how large is your viewing area? The receiver is not overly powerful; but should be fine for mid-sized room (say 20x14).

One more thing, I believe the receiver doesn't process audio from the HDMI connection. This means that you'll have to run an optical or coax connection too (not a big deal), and you won't be able to get the high level audio from Bluray (not a big deal for me, but you have to decide this one).

drvai

Grip
Real Name
Felipe
Thank you for the answer. So I'll do a little bit more of research on a system that processes HDMI. What is the "feature" am I looking for?

What about the energy speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks