Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: RONIN (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,575 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 07:48 AM

LOYALTY IS BOUGHT, BETRAYAL IS A WAY OF LIFE…

RONIN

Thrilling Car Chases And Phenomenal Stunts Explode Onto
Blu-ray Disc February 24 From MGM Home Entertainment

“The real deal in action fireworks.”
-Rolling Stone

“John Frankenheimer is known as a master of intelligent thrillers.”
-Roger Ebert

Los Angeles, CA – An intelligent thriller revered among action connoisseurs for its legendary car chase sequence, Ronin debuts on Blu-ray Disc (BD) February 24 from MGM Home Entertainment. Directed by John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) and starring legendary two-time Oscar® winner Robert DeNiro (Best Actor, Raging Bull; 1981, Best Supporting Actor, The Godfather: Part II; 1975), Ronin was shot almost entirely on location in France and features breathtaking visuals and elaborate stunt arrangements that take advantage of Blu-ray’s pristine picture quality and audiovisual clarity. Also starring Jean Reno (The Professional, Flyboys), Natasha McElhone (The Truman Show, The Devil’s Own) and Sean Bean (Goldeneye, The Hitcher), Ronin centers around a group of former covert agents who sell their unique and deadly services to anyone for the right price.

In this world where loyalties are easily abandoned and allegiances can be bought, a new and deadlier terrorist threat has emerged -- free agent killers! Featuring “high-octane action” (Gene Shalit, “Today”), a “first-rate cast” (LA Daily News) and exhilarating car chases that “are nothing short of sensational” (The New York Times), Ronin is “the real deal in action fireworks” (Rolling Stone) directed by “a master of intelligent thrillers” (Roger Ebert). When an IRA pay mistress (McElhone) assembles an elite group of international assassins in Paris for a dangerous assignment to retrieve a mysterious suitcase, these lone soldiers will have to learn to trust each other in a world where loyalty is bought and betrayal is a way of life. Ronin BD will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada. Pre-book is January 14, 2009.

Ronin Blu-ray Disc Synopsis

The Cold War may be over, but a new world order keeps a group of covert mercenaries employed by the highest bidder. These operatives, known as “Ronin,” are assembled in France by a mysterious client for a seemingly routine mission: steal a top-secret briefcase. But the simple task soon proves explosive as other underworld organizations vie for the same prize...and to get the job done, the members of Ronin must do something they’ve never done before -- trust each other!

Ronin Blu-Ray Disc Special Features

Ronin BD is authored in HDMV (mpeg-2) on a Single Layer (25gb) disc and presented with 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Master Audio, as well as English Dolby Surround 5.1 and French, Spanish, Korean and Cantonese subtitles.

Ronin Blu-ray Disc
DVD Price: $34.99U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Prebook Date: January 14, 2009
Street Date: February 24, 2009
Catalog Number: M107765
Rating: R
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: 5.1 DTS Master Audio
Subtitles: Spanish and French
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted November 20 2008 - 08:15 AM

This is a very good movie IMO. It's nice to see it's coming to BD, but I don't think I'm going out on a thin limb to predict the PQ will not be very good. I sure hope I'm very wrong...

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 09:32 AM

I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Not thrilled about the BD-25, lack of special features aspect of it, or the MPEG-2 authoring, though.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 09:34 AM

Im pissed! $34.99 for a mopvie only disc? I have the old flipper and never got around to buying the CE. I was hoping the extras would be on the blu but no theyre not! Posted Image

The Frankenheimer commentary is superb! I listen to it all the time.

I may get this on a sale for the blu upgrade and keep my SD but Ill wait for reviews. Still pissed though.....
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
This is a very good movie IMO. It's nice to see it's coming to BD, but I don't think I'm going out on a thin limb to predict the PQ will not be very good. I sure hope I'm very wrong...

I have the Japanese import Blu Ray. Not sure of the specs. It looks good, but it definitely didn't blow my socks off. Might have to pick this up anyway if I can find a deal, the Japanese version is kind of hard to navigate, due to my lack of any Japanese language skills.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,712 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 10:33 AM

MSRP of 38 bucks Canadian, so in reality probably 33. I believe it is FOX distributing this, right? When are those guys going to return to reality?They are wacked in the head if they think a barebones disc is going to sell many copies at 33 bucks. I'd really like to upgrade my copy, but at that price I'll be waiting a long time. They'll probably put out an SE just about the time the barebones disc reaches a reasonable price.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 10:57 AM

Wake me when Fox/MGM releases a special edition....Maybe then I'll purchase it. As it stands now, I'll be passing just like I have with other overpriced and barebones discs from them......Robocop, Predator, Commando, now Ronin is added to the list of shame. Posted Image
Recently watched- Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 12:09 PM

Shoot, I'd love a Special Edition, but right now I'd take a BD-50 with AVC encoding (over a single layer, MPEG-2 video) barebones disc. If you're going to do a barebones disc at least give us the best audio/video! How 2006 of Fox. These codecs/specs might have been acceptable in the early days of Blu-Ray, but this is almost like a non-anamorphic DVD release, unacceptable!

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 12:17 PM

Those titles mentioned, and some others of the ilk...that's why I'm guessing at not very good PQ. Less than half-hearted efforts with transfers of roughly upscaled DVD quality. Along with Ronin, these have been budget DVD titles for years. And on BD, their prices plummeted very quickly after release.

Ronin is a 2 hour movie, MP2 encoded, with lossless DTS-HD MA audio. On a BD-25, that almost guarantees it won't look that good. Based on what I've seen so far. Is the Japanese BD a BD-25?

Hate to dump on a good movie that IMO hasn't got sufficient respect on home video. However, it may not be very popular (I don't know) and this is the best they are willing to do. OTOH, if it's not popular, why bother with it now when there's thousands of other titles they could do...

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 20 2008 - 01:35 PM

This title was announced a year ago and then delayed. No surprise that MGM (Fox only distributes) did not see fit to go back and re-author the disc. They did the same thing with A Bridge Too Far and a few other titles I can't recall at the moment.

Fox proper has been carrying over all the extras on their BD releases for most of 2008 now, so it's obvious their policy has changed.

MGM, on the other hand, hasn't shown such an inclination, except for Bond.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 01:17 AM

Yep, like Carrie this seems to be a disc that was prepared for release sometime back with the old Fox/MGM specs (MPEG-2, no extras, $40) and was delayed. Here we are at the end of 2008 and they've just got around to releasing it, but couldn't be bothered to bring the disc up to current expectations.

Hopefully enough people will pass on this feeble package to send the message to Fox/MGM that discs released today need to be brought up to snuff.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Yep, like Carrie this seems to be a disc that was prepared for release sometime back with the old Fox/MGM specs (MPEG-2, no extras, $40) and was delayed. Here we are at the end of 2008 and they've just got around to releasing it, but couldn't be bothered to bring the disc up to current expectations.

You know, I think I am a reasonable guy, and, as such, I understand that this disc has been prepared for a while and there probably isn't much financial incentive to redo it with a better encode and/or special features on a BD50; however what truly galls me is that Fox/MGM has the nerve to keep the MRSP at $40.

For whatever reason, Fox/MGM chose to sit on this title but the market's expectations for Blu-ray Discs titles have changed since that decision was made. That's the risk these studios run, but they seem too greedy and full of themselves to acknowledge it. Posted Image

As it stands, if I can find a deal (< $20) on this I will pick it up, but I will be in no hurry to do so. What's ironic, is that I think there could be a market for budget Blu-ray titles, but what these studios need to understand is that 'budget' efforts (BD25, barebones titles) call for 'budget' prices.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 21 2008 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
As it stands, if I can find a deal (< $20) on this I will pick it up, but I will be in no hurry to do so. What's ironic, is that I think there could be a market for budget Blu-ray titles, but what these studios need to understand is that 'budget' efforts (BD25, barebones titles) call for 'budget' prices.

Paul, FOX price like Warner!? How could they, they might sell something to us!

You mean Ronin should be a $13 (online price) like Under Seige, or Erasure!?

Yea, would be nice, but it wont happen until its been out for 6 months.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Loregnum

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 03:49 AM

I like the movie but no way I am going to buy this at the street price (prolly what, 23 or 24 at amazon) with those specs. I don't even care for special features but if I am dropping 23-24 for a catalog title I expect there to be some.

Fox can shove it with this crap.

Warner gets busted on a lot but IMO Fox is BY FAR the worst blu-ray studio because they have the nerve to say FU to their customers with these catalog prices and don't even load up their discs. I also expect Ronin to be DNRed to death too like Patton.

If this title doesn't get DNRed to death and looks good then I will get it when the price drops to say 15-18 online.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 04:33 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed with the specs.

For BD-25, MPEG2 barebones transfers, I'm going to set a hard limit of $15. I won't pay more than that for it. So it looks like the only way I'm going to own this title is through an Amazon BOGO deal or a Fry's special. Or 1-2 years down the line when it's heavily discounted. Posted Image

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 04:38 AM

^ I don't think it'll take 1-2 years. Either Fox or their retailers have been heavily discounting their catalog titles, especially the BD-25s. Just don't buy when brand new. Agree though, for a BD-25 I set an ~$15 limit. I have got a couple BD-25s that are quite decent, but for me it's generally a warning sign...

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,575 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 04:43 AM

I will be the first to defend a studio like Fox when I think
they are in the right, and they have been doing good stuff
with BD lately.

However, as excited as I was about purchasing Ronin, I am
afraid I will have to decline at its price point. At this point of the game
consumers should not have to pay $35 for a catalog title when even
new releases are going for $25.

I really think it's time for Fox to rethink their price strategy --
especially on titles like this with limited extras.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Dion C

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hey, "Ronin," the "Carrie" Blu-ray called. She wants to hook up and have your baby.

That baby will, of course, gestate for approximately two unnecessary years, then be born without limbs, suggesting little to no hope for a viable future.

Its cousins, on the other hand, will all be fully functional and live long, happy lives on media shelves throughout the country.

Thanks again, Fox/MGM. I look at it as money well saved.
If they made a t.v. movie about an Elvis Presley impersonator, would they have to get a Kurt Russell impersonator to play the part?

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   John Nelson

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 03:18 PM

I've been waiting for this movie, and Frankenheimer's Grand Prix, to come out on Blu-Ray for a while now. I would gladly snap this title up, but there's no way I'm shelling out that much for a bare bones, no extras version.

Another potential customer lost.
"The satellite landed in our home. Maybe this means we'll have good luck this year," Huo Jiyu, quoted after a Chinese satellite completely destroyed his apartment in the village of Penlai, Sichuan Province, China.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 06:33 AM

gee where are the extras ???? FOX I though you changed the way you
do things

Forum Nav Content I Follow