Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New LN52A650 owner here. Initial impressions a a couple questions.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 07:32 AM

New LN52A650 owner here! I had a HL-S5687W that was repaired a few times until CC replaced it under their extended warranty.

Anyway, I did a bit of calibration and the picture is INCREDIBLE. My method is basically using "Just Scan" to get 1:1 pixel ratio and turning off all the extra processing garbage. Then use test patterns to get good contrast, brightness and color. I run a PS3 for games and Blu ray and a Xbox 360 for games. I set the TV's HDMI black level to normal and RGB to Full on the PS3 and Expanded (or whatever it's called) on the 360. Seems to be pretty damn awesome. I also turned the xvYCC on and it seemed to show better definition on the color scale test patterns I ran. I am not really clear on just what the impact of that setting is. An explanation would be appreciated.

Another question: Does the sound suck an all these sets, or is it mine? It's just so damn tinny and thin compared to the speakers in the HL-S5687W. I only use the built in speakers for cable TV viewing, so I don't demand anything amazing, but this thing sounds like crapola.

BTW - I ran the auto channel setup and low and behold, I get like 100 free HD/Digital channels. I don't pay for any digital cable, nor do I have a box. I guess Comcast broadcasts a LOT of unscrambled digital channels. I even get like 40 of those music channels. God bless QAM.

Anyway, I am THRILLED with the set so far. I have no "purple haze", and the few cloudy spots I saw have all but disappeared after calibration.

One last thing: Any of you guys use this company for an extended warranty? http://tapeworkstexa...y_tv_only_.html

It looks like a pretty good deal and I have read good impressions on other forums. Thanks!
Guess what...

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   ksmani

ksmani

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 19 2008 - 11:40 AM

hi adam, i am going to be a new owner soon ( may be to today evening)... my Question to you is: do i need a home theater system? or the speakers of TV good enough for a room of 16'x 22' area. appreciate your reply soon.. and pls. write more about your experience.. thanks.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted December 20 2008 - 02:40 AM

Short answer: No. You need a system. Of course this is an opinion. You may love the sound. I hate it. More impressions: The TV is just spectacular. I have it calibrated fairly well. I use the Just Scan picture setting so it's 1:1 pixel ratio. Bluray are stunning, as are games from my 360 and PS3. It's pixel perfect. ALL of the extra processing is off. I just wanted to start with the purest picture possible, so Dynamic Contrast, AMP, DNIE, and anything else Ic ould turn off is off. In a dark room the black levels are fair, but with decent backlighting it's great in all but VERY dark scenes. Regular analog cable signals look really good and the digital / HD signals (that i get for free thanks to the QAM tuner) look AMAZING as long as there's not too much fast motion. And that's Comcast's compression, not the TV.
Guess what...

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   ksmani

ksmani

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 06:31 PM

thanks for the reply.. glitch.. (delivery glitch..), so the TV is coming in on tuesday, 23rd. followed by Onkyo TX-SR606 on wed, 24th. Followed by onkyo 750 (7.1) speaker on 2nd Jan 09 :-( in the mean time, i would connect my Wii and see how things are.. and I am excited about the QAM tuner .. hope it can does something for me too !! I have only highspeed internet, no tv channels so far.. will update as and when things happen in the next few days..

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   ksmani

ksmani

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 02 2009 - 11:41 AM

yeah, the QAM tuner works.. it is about 5 months now. Everything works great, the pictures great, the wii games look cool, got a PS3 as my DVD/Blue ray player, eventhough i havent played one single game in PS3. Blue ray pictures are excellent. Along with TXSR606, it rocks !! By the way, till now I have connected only 5.1 speakers, the 2 back speakers are sitting in the cupboard, becuase I ran out of speaker wire then. Later on, well it didnt happen. However, this tv is a cool stuff !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users