-

Photo
- - - - -

Upconversion: Panny BD35 vs. Oppo 980

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ari

Ari

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 01:47 AM

I'm in the process of updating the HT and got myself an Oppo 980 to play my SD discs and was waiting for the price of a Panny 58" plasma to drop. I checked Amazon and saw it going for a good price and $300 off if I got a Panny BD35 to go with it. I jumped on the deal and now have two players: the Oppo 980 and the Panny BD35.

I have tons of SD discs and am wondering about the upconversion of the Panny BD35. Should I keep the Oppo for upconversion purposes or would it be okay to sell it???

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Darren Pillans

Darren Pillans

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 02:30 AM

Why don't you hook up both players to your new plasma and do a simultaneous A/B comparison with 2 identical discs?

Then you can tell us which does a better job.

I genuinely would like to know myself.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   StevieRay

StevieRay

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 03:21 AM

I'm a new Blu-ray enthusiast and I'm wondering if the DVD players with upconversion will output the upconvert to anything besides 1080p.

I'm a renter, so I didn't want to buy a huge screen only to risk it in a move. So I bought a cheaper TV that only goes up to 1080i. I believe the PS3 says it will only play copyrighted discs at 1080p.

I recently bought a blu-ray drive for my computer and I have a few blu-ray titles, but some are defective (Lionsgate Stargate main menu right side doesn't work, no burned-in subtitles for Egyptian and alien speech).

I'm contemplating just buying a DVD player with upconvert but I don't know if the upconvert can support anything but 1080p.

BTW, I just found an Insignia DVD player with upconvert and they say you get 1080i on component out and 1080p on HDMI. Still, I wonder if you can select 1080i on HDMI...

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,253 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 21 2008 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRay
I'm a new Blu-ray enthusiast and I'm wondering if the DVD players with upconversion will output the upconvert to anything besides 1080p.

I'm a renter, so I didn't want to buy a huge screen only to risk it in a move. So I bought a cheaper TV that only goes up to 1080i. I believe the PS3 says it will only play copyrighted discs at 1080p.

I'm contemplating just buying a DVD player with upconvert but I don't know if the upconvert can support anything but 1080p.

BTW, I just found an Insignia DVD player with upconvert and they say you get 1080i on component out and 1080p on HDMI. Still, I wonder if you can select 1080i on HDMI...

Absolutely not true. The Blu-ray players I have (PS3 and Samsung 1500) allow the user to choose the resolution he wishes the player to send to the TV via HDMI. When I had a 720p HDTV, I had the PS3 send 1080i to the TV, and the TV's superior scaler projected it at 720p. (I thought the image was more solid at 1080i rather than 720p from the PS3 to the TV.)

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 02:29 AM

I'm in the market to purchase a BD35, and I plan on keeping my oppo983. The analog audio output on the oppo is awsome for CD playback. I can tell you that the audio quality from a CD is going to be better via the oppo than any BD player. I also use it for SD-DVD's, but so far I'm not impressed, but I also had it going through my denon which may be a bit too much hdmi upconverting...so my next move is to run it directly into the tv via HDMI and just go digital out for sound...but I digress. Use the oppo for music and SD-DVD's, and use the BD for what it is made for...BluRay!
Samsung HL61A750  -PS Audio Soloist into Quintet  -Denon 2808CI  -Denon DCD-3520 (Burr-Brown OPA-627opamps & Elna Silmic II capacitors)  -Panasonic DMP-BD35K  -Dish Vip722  -Harmony One  -Klipsch KLF-20's (HT mains)  -Klipsch KLF C-7 (Crites crossover)  -Klipsch S-2's  -Klipsch RW-10 

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmusingistheDawn
I'm in the market to purchase a BD35, and I plan on keeping my oppo983. The analog audio output on the oppo is awsome for CD playback. I can tell you that the audio quality from a CD is going to be better via the oppo than any BD player...!
You might want to check out the specs of the new Denon top-of-the-line BD player (in the thread by RAF) before making such a sweeping statement.
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 11:22 AM

I stand corrected. I assumed that there was a general price range when speaking in terms of the devices spoken of in the thread. Of course money will buy a BD player that is better than the best CD player I ever owned...but I can't afford it.

Am I at least on point in the statement that dollar for dollar...a high end CD player will never be beaten out by a BD player as far as stereo playback?
Samsung HL61A750  -PS Audio Soloist into Quintet  -Denon 2808CI  -Denon DCD-3520 (Burr-Brown OPA-627opamps & Elna Silmic II capacitors)  -Panasonic DMP-BD35K  -Dish Vip722  -Harmony One  -Klipsch KLF-20's (HT mains)  -Klipsch KLF C-7 (Crites crossover)  -Klipsch S-2's  -Klipsch RW-10 

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari
I'm in the process of updating the HT and got myself an Oppo 980 to play my SD discs and was waiting for the price of a Panny 58" plasma to drop. I checked Amazon and saw it going for a good price and $300 off if I got a Panny BD35 to go with it. I jumped on the deal and now have two players: the Oppo 980 and the Panny BD35.

I have tons of SD discs and am wondering about the upconversion of the Panny BD35. Should I keep the Oppo for upconversion purposes or would it be okay to sell it???

You'd have to compare for yourself, but I'm willing to bet the BD35 will be slightly better on film-based DVDs especially enabling the 24fps capability for DVD on this unit. It seems to give just an extra little crispness to the image.

I have the BD35 and had the 980 a while back.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 03:45 AM

Lew, that high end Denon BR sounds awesome, however I would imagine the majority of HTF members could not afford one given these economic times. Maybe lower priced units will follow.
Regards
Al
Al Kuenster

Forum Nav Content I Follow