Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 04:19 PM

The clue in this month's Criterion newsletter is for The Friends of Eddie Coyle. I assume the dvd will be announced in the next few months! Can't wait to see the film after hearing so many great things about it. I love the relationship Criterion and Paramount have going.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 11:35 PM

Yes, this is great news. I have been waiting to see this film for ages.

Maybe there is hope in Criterion releasing Looking for Mr Goodbar one day too.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 12:43 AM

Joy! Joy! Joy!
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted:r
Joy! Joy! Joy!

YES!!

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 06:03 AM

This is great news! Criterion does very well by these Paramount releases and I am always excited when a never released in any video form movie comes to DVD. Criterion has done 3 with Paramount- ACE IN THE HOLE; WHITE DOG and now COYLE (ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS won't count-it was on LD-but pretty rare)
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE contains the first of the 70's Robert Mitchum performances that should have garnered oscar nominations -the other being FAREWELL MY LOVELY(now if Criterion could hook up with studio Canal.....)
What next for the ParTerion label? LEADBELLY? AMERICAN HOT WAX? THE OUTSIDER?

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 06:55 AM

I wonder if Criterion could be taking over THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER:SE. That would explain the abrupt postponement. There are plenty of great Mitchum performances out there that have yet to be brought to dvd: GOING HOME, BLOOD ON THE MOON, THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY, THE LUSTY MEN, THE WRATH OF GOD.
Charles Hoyt

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia
This is great news! Criterion does very well by these Paramount releases and I am always excited when a never released in any video form movie comes to DVD. Criterion has done 3 with Paramount- ACE IN THE HOLE; WHITE DOG and now COYLE (ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS won't count-it was on LD-but pretty rare)
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE contains the first of the 70's Robert Mitchum performances that should have garnered oscar nominations -the other being FAREWELL MY LOVELY(now if Criterion could hook up with studio Canal.....)
What next for the ParTerion label? LEADBELLY? AMERICAN HOT WAX? THE OUTSIDER?

If....
Ace In the Hole
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Days of Heaven
The Naked Prey
The Furies
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
White Dog

Still to come: Wedding March, Silent Sternburg, Face to Face, The Confession. There are probably even more on the horizon. Great relationship indeed

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Eric Ten

Eric Ten

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 08:11 AM

Great news, I have waited 12 years. this is my dvd Holy Grail. one of my favorite films. hope the extras are killer.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUngstad
If....
Ace In the Hole
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Days of Heaven
The Naked Prey
The Furies
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
White Dog

Still to come: Wedding March, Silent Sternburg, Face to Face, The Confession. There are probably even more on the horizon. Great relationship indeed

Do you know whether 'Face To Face' is going to be the full TV version or the truncated theatrical version?

I was hoping Criterion might have licensed 'One Eyed Jacks' from Paramount, but it appears that it's not included in the licensing deal. Will we ever see a high quality release of this great film on DVD or BD I wonder?
Bruce Morrison

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted November 24 2008 - 08:35 AM

In HTF threads on Criterion releases, someone usually posts the text/artwork associated with these Criterion clues (hint, hint).

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,260 posts

Posted November 25 2008 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
I was hoping Criterion might have licensed 'One Eyed Jacks' from Paramount, but it appears that it's not included in the licensing deal. Will we ever see a high quality release of this great film on DVD or BD I wonder?

How would anyone know exactly what the licensing "deal" was? What gives you the impression ONE EYED JACKS isn't included in it? I know a bunch of you on HTF have inside information, but is yours "inside" or guesswork?

Just curious.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted November 25 2008 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
How would anyone know exactly what the licensing "deal" was? What gives you the impression ONE EYED JACKS isn't included in it? I know a bunch of you on HTF have inside information, but is yours "inside" or guesswork?

Just curious.

The only clue is that I read some time ago on the internet that 'One Eyed Jacks' is actually owned by the Brando estate and not by Paramount. I have no way of knowing whether that is true, but it could explain how it's fallen into the public domain, since it seems unlikely that a major Hollywood studio would have allowed such a comparatively recent classic to go that way.

Also, I haven't seen any speculation (whether "informed" or otherwise) that 'One Eyed Jacks' is being worked on by Criterion.

If they are indeed planning to release it eventually, I'll be as delighted as anyone.
Bruce Morrison

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted January 08 2009 - 07:19 AM

any way for the image to be posted on here clueing to Eddie Coyle
"RUN AWAY!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!"
(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

My DVD Collection
My DVD Collection Too The 29 Days of Oscar are at dvdauthority.com...thanks again to all

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted January 08 2009 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
The only clue is that I read some time ago on the internet that 'One Eyed Jacks' is actually owned by the Brando estate and not by Paramount. I have no way of knowing whether that is true, but it could explain how it's fallen into the public domain, since it seems unlikely that a major Hollywood studio would have allowed such a comparatively recent classic to go that way.

you might be right there. This indeed has a VERY valid copyright that was renewed in 1988, so it is NOT public dormain, yet NO ONE enforces it. If still with Paramount, there will be cease and desist happening ASAP, so you might be right that it is with Brando's estate, who does nothing.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted January 08 2009 - 10:17 AM

I'd love Criterion to release Jonathan Demme's Citizen Band (Handle with Care). It is a Paramount title that has all but disappeared.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted January 09 2009 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley-E
I'd love Criterion to release Jonathan Demme's Citizen Band (Handle with Care). It is a Paramount title that has all but disappeared.

I heartily second the call for CITIZEN'S BAND (aka HANDLE WITH CARE). It was on VHS, I can't recall under which title, and I think some music was changed for home video. If Marc Heuck is reading this, I'm sure he'll provide all the details.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted January 09 2009 - 09:00 AM

It was on VHS as CITZEN BAND, and yes, some of the song was changed. They ran it on HBO as HANDLE WITH CARE, and those songs were intact.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow