-

Photo
- - - - -

New Xbox Experience

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 01:31 PM

Well, the New XBox Experience (NXE) was made available today.

I've got mixed feelings. I liked the old "blade" system in that I felt it had a nice hardcore gamer look to it. While avatars are OK, it definately give the Xbox more of a kiddie feel to it, which I don't care for. If I want a kiddie interface, I'll use my Wii.

But it's here to stay, so I'll get used to it. The one thing I was hoping they would do would be to allow several avatars under one User Profile. We only pay for one Gold account, but both my son and I use it. It would be nice for us to each be able to have an identity within the same User Profile. But as it is, we have to share an avatar.

The other thing that sucks, is I use a Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles theme I downloaded and basically it looks like crap in the new interface.

#2 of 19 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 19 2008 - 02:51 PM

Really sucks is this:

Add Netflix. Except you can't browse NetFlix instant titles or do anything with it. You have to go to a computer, add to your netflix Instant Que for it to be visible. Weak. My xbox is in my bedroom. I thought this would be a cool "I'm going to bed, let me browse some titles and find a tv show or something". Hell, if I've got to get up and dash to a computer to make it available, blah, not worth my time or effort.

Oh, and one more.. so far, it appears as though no one can make HD-DVD support work. So good luck to you HD-DVD XBOX360 owners with libraries.. you just got schooled. Your investment is now totally worthless.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 19 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 03:04 PM

I did the update. Fast and painless. At first the new interface was a bit confusing because a lot of things have been put in new locations. But once I started to use the new interface and became more familiar with it the more I like it. I think it's just a question of getting used to the scrolling windows rather than the "blades" system.

One thing that was welcomed was the ability to opt to install disc based games on the hard disk for playing. (You still need the disc installed to play the game - which I understand for copyright reasons). I assume that this will decrease load times while playing games. I didn't notice a big improvement in speed for Fable 2, but maybe that's not a good game to use to see the total effect of this. Has anyone out there seen a big improvement in load times for other disc-based titles run from the HD?
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#4 of 19 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
One thing that was welcomed was the ability to opt to install disc based games on the hard disk for playing. (You still need the disc installed to play the game - which I understand for copyright reasons). I assume that this will decrease load times while playing games.

I guess the main "advantage" with this is, that you don´t get that horrid disc noise, since it doesn´t have to read the disc...

Then again, with e.g. Halo3 it doesn´t really make things any better/faster:
Bungie addresses Halo 3 NXE install performance - Xbox 360 Fanboy

I installed the new interface this morning and created my "character". It´s nice and "cute", but not sure now important these type of issues really are.. Well, I guess it looks different now. Posted Image

Btw. I downloaded new "Tomb Raider"-theme. Now where can I actually find it (after the download)? I´m sure I just missed something, but didn´t find it this morning (I had to go to work, so I was in a hurry).

Edit: One article ("New Xbox Experience: DVD vs. Hard Disk Face-Off") here (loading times):
http://www.eurogamer...ticle_id=290745

Edit2: Video ("Install & Noise Test")
http://uk.xbox360.ig....st_102908.html
Seems to have big difference for the noise level, so thanks MS for this option.

#5 of 19 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 20 2008 - 05:11 AM

Noise level and lowers the risk of Red-Ring of Death.. the drive itself put out a fair chunk of heat in action; if the drive stays off more, you reduce heat inside your XBOX. Not a bad deal.

Still, though, there are several things about this update that are very lacking.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 19 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
Btw. I downloaded new "Tomb Raider"-theme. Now where can I actually find it (after the download)? I´m sure I just missed something, but didn´t find it this morning (I had to go to work, so I was in a hurry).

If I recall (I'm not at my console right now) your downloaded themes appear in the My Xbox section. Click on your "card" and one of the options that will appear is Change Theme.

I found that once you get used to where everything is now located that it becomes more and more intuitive and I like it. True, there will be some growing pains but I feel that after the dust settles that the interface will become second nature to most users. Some things right now are a little frustrating until you figure out where things are. Personally, I was looking for the Add Microsoft Points option and found out that you don't really get ready access to that option until you try to download something. Then the familiar (X) button option for this appears.

To me the Avatars are nothing more than a "cute" factor (which really doesn't interest me at this point but probably brings in a wider audience). MS has promised some enhancements that will give the Avatars additional features and other customization. I'm predicting that this will take the form of downloadable content - most likely paid downloadable content except for sponsors things and special promos.

Time will tell.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#7 of 19 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
To me the Avatars are nothing more than a "cute" factor (which really doesn't interest me at this point but probably brings in a wider audience). MS has promised some enhancements that will give the Avatars additional features and other customization.
I don't play much, but my son lives on it. He is in his teens and the avatars are a little "kiddy" for him, especially when he plays mostly combat games. Now if they could make the avatars look like some of the game characters I think it would go over better. .

#8 of 19 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
One thing that was welcomed was the ability to opt to install disc based games on the hard disk for playing. (You still need the disc installed to play the game - which I understand for copyright reasons)

Yeah, but it would still be nice if they could figure out a way to allow you to run the game off the HD without having the disc in. I would LOVE to have my most played games on the hard drive and not have to swap discs everytime I want to switch games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins
Now if they could make the avatars look like some of the game characters I think it would go over better.

That would be very cool.

#9 of 19 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 03:10 PM

Bryan,

I think that some of the future avatars that are rumored to become available will be based on some of the more popular game characters. I'd be willing to bet that these will become "paid" features on the XBox Marketplace. Sort of like the paid "themes" you can buy right now.

Some games already do this. I love choosing a Master Chief costume in Fable 2 and having all the townsfolk say things like, "All hail the Master Chief!"

Posted Image

RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#10 of 19 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 03:57 PM

I'd be cool with that. I wouldn't have a problem buying a few of my favorite characters if they were available.

#11 of 19 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,278 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 21 2008 - 06:58 AM

I'm definitely digging the Netflix integration, i started a thread to discuss that in the software forum.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#12 of 19 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,651 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 21 2008 - 03:23 PM

Installed the NXE tonight. On my 36" CRT, it's a step backwards overall. The organization is still confusing, only in new ways. That I'll get used to, I'm sure. But the use of small images, set on the left, gives me eye strain. I'm fighting not to focus on the third-deep, 1/10 screen image in the center, and to look at the left of the screen where the primary info is. It's a baffling design to me.

I do like the quickie dashboard accessible anywhere, anytime. But why is it so small? So much wasted screen space. Maybe I need a 45"+ widescreen to appreciate the new system.

The install to hard drive looks promising.

The avatars...I've got one now. But this is a feature I don't care about. I was just as happy with the old 2D tags.

I downloaded my first HD movie trailer via the Xbox (Star Trek) and the picture was as good as it gets on my 6-yr old quasi-HDTV CRT. Absolutely superb. It's not as easy as browsing trailers in iTunes or Apple's website, but it's on my TV in 5.1, so I look forward to playing with this more.

#13 of 19 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
Personally, I was looking for the Add Microsoft Points option and found out that you don't really get ready access to that option until you try to download something. Then the familiar (X) button option for this appears.

Damn, I was just looking the place to add "redeem code", but just didn´t find it (MS - What?). So I have to download something first or.. ? Thanks again.

#14 of 19 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted November 24 2008 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
Damn, I was just looking the place to add "redeem code", but just didn´t find it (MS - What?). So I have to download something first or.. ? Thanks again.

Jari,

I found the "redeem code" option by stumbling over it as follows. Once you are signed in to XBoxLive press the BIG X button (the one in the center of the controller) and you get a series of quick access "blades" including one for "Marketplace." You will find "Redeem Code" listed there.

Now that I know about these quick access menus (via the BIG button) the new XBE is much easier to use. It's sort of like discovering that clicking the right mouse button in Windows opens all sorts of convenience features.

Posted Image

RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#15 of 19 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,651 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 24 2008 - 05:12 AM

I've found that NXE has an obnoxious new feature: the default screen is the advertising / what's new screen, rather than the My Xbox screen. (sigh). In general, I use my xbox to play my games, not to look at their ads. Why would the first first thing I see then be advertising?

The install-to-hard drive feature is great. My system is quiet now, with my current trio of games on the hard drive.

#16 of 19 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted November 25 2008 - 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
I found the "redeem code" option by stumbling over it as follows. Once you are signed in to XBoxLive press the BIG X button (the one in the center of the controller) and you get a series of quick access "blades" including one for "Marketplace." You will find "Redeem Code" listed there.

Got it. Thanks again! Posted Image

#17 of 19 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
I didn't notice a big improvement in speed for Fable 2
Damn. I was thinking of doing the hard drive installation with that very title, in the hopes that those dreadful load times would be diminished.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#18 of 19 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 06:49 PM

Overall, I like it. Cleaner than the old blades. Don't care about the Avatars, but getting used to them.

The main advantage to installing onto the hard drive is heat-reduction, therefore less chance of red rings o' death. Plus you don't hafta listen to the drive spinning all the time.

I've already installed Fallout3 and RockBand 2 to the HD, and I love not hearing the spin!

#19 of 19 kitt

kitt

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 12:59 AM

Posted Image
i recently find a good online role play game.you can play any char you like.and you can buy gold in Vgoldseller.com.they deliver it really fast.last time my dad bought gold for me.it takes only one hour Vgoldseller rock!

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow