Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

iPod Without Computer? A Couple of Questions Re: DRM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 11:37 PM

My friend Joe recently purchased an iPod Nano but before loading it with music, his computer died.

To make matters worse, he recently had a heart attack and is recovering at home.

I'm trying to figure out if I can possibly load his iPod with music from another friend, who has iTunes and an iPod.

What are the issues with such a setup:

1. If I am able to do this, will I be compromising my other friend's ability to add another ipod for himself- are there limits to how many can be using one library...

2. If I am able to do the download, will my friend with the heart attack then lose the ability to attach/identify the nano to his own computer once he gets a new one?

3. I have a Zune, and all my music files are in that format, so I'm assuming that I can be of no help in loading his Nano- is this correct?

Thanks for any answers...
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted December 04 2008 - 09:01 AM

1) No, there is not a limit.
2) It won't be a problem but the music that's on the device will be wiped (itunes doesn't allow ipod->computer transfers, only computer->ipod). Yetipod is a great program that gets around this restriction. I would recommend that you load his device using this program (there is no need to build an itunes library or any of that mess... just drag and drop).
3) There is no such thing as a 'Zune format'. I imagine your songs are in MP3 which can be easily read by the ipod.