-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI: Do I need a new receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 11:50 AM

I have Sony's first generation Blu-Ray player but haven't been able to take advantage of HDMI since neither my TV nor my receiver have HDMI inputs.

I'm now thinking about buying a new TV which would have HDMI. I would connect the Blu-Ray player via HDMI to the TV for video but could I retain my 6-analog cables connected to my receiver for audio?

I don't want to replace my receiver just for HDMI.

#2 of 6 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 18 2008 - 11:55 AM

You can either use the 5.1 analog audio cables or a coax or optical digital audio cable to the receiver along with the HDMI connection to the TV for video.

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 6 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,516 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 03:16 PM

You are probably better off using a digital audio connection between the BR player and receiver. It will give you much more flexibility in sub calibration.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 6 Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 07:53 AM

I am now confused. I noticed on the Blu-Ray player that there is only one HDMI out port. I'm assuming that this goes to the TV but how would a receiver with HDMI ports get the audio signal without additional cables? (I thought the point of HDMI was an all-in-one solution.)

I noticed on the Denon AVR-4308CI that there are four HDMI in and two HDMI out ports. So I'm guessing that:

Blu-Ray HDMI out -> Denon HDMI HDP in
Denon HDMI Monitor 1 out -> TV

Thus both the audio and video signals are transported via HDMI and the Denon would process the audio, send it to the speakers but send the video signal to the TV?

Just trying to understand cabling options required before doing any upgrading.

Thanks for the help!

#5 of 6 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,516 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 03:13 PM

That's exactly how it works.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 6 Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for confirming John!