What's new

The Police: Certifiable (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hey gang,

I picked up this Best Buy exclusive at their special Sunday night sale last week and finally got it into the PS3 yesterday. I only had time to watch about a half hour, but what I saw was excellent. The image and sound (note that I only have DD) are great, and the editing, while on the active side, is not hyperactive like so many concert videos are these days. The sound mix is, for lack of a better term, pretty live -- not as much as, say, Rush In Rio, but it still sounds like you're at a concert. I love that, but not everyone does. Crowd noise is minimal, though (certainly much less of it than in RiR). The performance rocks too. They tend to play around with the arrangements a bit, which makes for some interesting takes on familiar songs.

What do other people think? How are the extras?

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I want to get this one but I was disappointed to find out that it's a BB exclusive. I pretty much get everything at Amazon.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's excellent. For $29.99 you get the BD concert with an almost hour long Doc. AND 2 Cds of the concert. PQ and AQ are top notch.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Awesome, I'll pick it up.

Is this concert from their reunion tour, or vintage stuff?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Being a HUGE Police fan, this was a no-brainer for me. As someone else said, you get the Blu-ray plus the 2-CD set for $29.99. Then, after popping it in and listening to the 1st song, I was hooked. It was immediately obvious that this will be the new go-to demo disc for live concerts (especially for me; it now bests Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City). The video is crisp and clean and the audio is tight yet dynamic. Not to mention the fact that these older cats are jamming! The songs sound fresh due to new arrangements and the fellas nail every one. I'm particularly fond of the sound of Sting's bass; you can track and trace every single bass line and they're all punchy and nice and low as is Stewart Copeland's phenomenal drumming. Add in Andy Summers' atmospheric and reggae-infused staccato guitar lines and it's a home run. The documentary is also quite good and is a no-holds-barred look at the reunion and how the band operates behind the scenes. Even if you just like the hits and aren't as steeped in some of their deeper album cuts, pick it up.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Some of the arragements work for me and some don't. Wrapped Around Your Finger & King Of Pain have Stewart Copeland angles.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
KOP is just okay but WAYF is awesome, my favorite tune on the disc right now. I love what they've done with that. Walking on the Moon is a highlight also.

Very good concert. :emoji_thumbsup:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... What does BB exclusive actually mean? Will this never show up (for less) anywhere else?

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I assume it'll sit on the shelf along with their past concert exclusives, like the Rolling Stones and Elton John sets. Which is to say, on the Best Buy shelf only. Those sets dropped in price after a while though (I think I only paid $20 or $25 for the Elton John, which was much more at first).

Of course, you might find it used somewhere.

Bryan, it's from their reunion tour. You can really make out those wrinkles in HD.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
One of the best concerts on home video IMHO. Very well done, audiovisually.

The behind the scenes docu, approx. 50min, is almost worth the price of admission alone. Pretty honest and hilarious stuff.

Great to see Sting pushed out of his comfort zone. I think he is in top form here as a vocalist and bass player. Very impressive.

Actually, all three guys performed wonderfully. Can't wait to see the upcoming Rush Snakes and Arrows Blu-ray to get another dose of power trio in HD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Reunion. I have many old Police concerts on DVD and VHS and this is easily the best they have sounded, played. Mops the floor with the Synchronicity tour DVD. Very impressed.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Cool. It'll be like being at the concert I had to skip because tickets were $250-$300:frowning:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll dig it.
I enjoyed collecting video compilation dvd's. Some of my favorites: Peter Gabriel, Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, Yeah yeah Yeahs, and those PALM discs(Michel Gondry, and Spike Jonze).
My only concert dvd is The Cars Unlocked. Lots of footage from various concerts. It's too bad Benjamin Orr passed away so young. His solo career would have been something.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Thanks. I'll probably wait for a decent sale or maybe pick it up used then. Too many other BDs to buy lately (on top of whatever holiday shopping) -- and too many DVDs/BDs to catch up in my queue as it is.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:P

_Man_

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Went and picked this up at BB today. It wasn't $30 like others have stated; I paid $35. Must have been a 1 or 2 day sale or something.
Hopefully I'll be able to spin it over the weekend. Thanks for the positive reviews.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yes, $30 was just the release week (last week) price. $35 normally.

They actually charged me $35 and I had to go back in and get a price adjustment (fortunately I noticed when I was getting in the car).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Decided to check eBay and just found a brand new set for $28 shipped from a solid dealer (Sound City). :emoji_thumbsup: Checking to see what else they carry (for combined shipping)... :D

_Man_

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

The Peter gabriel DVD is great.
I wish they would get some Kate Bush on DVD finally. I have a couple of Ebay boots off of Laserdiscs. And Ben Orr was pretty awesome.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'd love to see a good Kate Bush DVD release too though I'm really just a casual fan. :P

_Man_

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

Wow, did my sub ever get a workout! This concert sounded terrific. I'm not sure I liked every new arrangement of the classics but all in all, this is a great buy. Next chance I get, I'll watch the documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks