Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

antenna for HD LCD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 15 2008 - 01:33 PM

Long time member, seldom poster. Been in and out of the HT world for quite a while.

I have a question regarding an LCD Purchase I am about to make for my folks.
They are looking for a 19" LCD (this one sepcifically ... Buy the Sharp 19" LCD HDTV and other LCD & Plasma TVs at circuitcity.com )

There will be no cable box or satellite hooked up to the set as it will be used in the kitchen. Question being is will this set need some type of external antenna to pull in a signal? An antenna to pull an over the air HD signal? Or is everything built into these sets and are plug and play???

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 16 2008 - 04:13 AM

Without a cable or satellite connection you must use an antenna to receive OTA digital signals. The size and type of antenna needed is based entirely on your location. It could range in size from a paperclip to rabbit ears to a 50" monster mounted on top of your house. Go to antennaweb.org to get details. Copy and paste your results here and we can help you with the proper selection.

-Robert

#3 of 6 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 16 2008 - 06:28 AM

Thank you very much Robert!

Looks like I was recommended a "small multi-directional" according to antennaweb.org
My folks live in one of the boroughs of NYC so reception is pretty good everywhere and signals are usually very strong.

Any recommendation for a good antenna is appreciated.

#4 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 17 2008 - 01:38 AM

Try Radio Shack since they have a good return policy. Just don't buy Terk. They are overpriced for their performance.

-Robert

#5 of 6 Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted November 17 2008 - 01:16 PM

Look on-line for the Phillips Silver Sensor - classic. Should run about $25.

I have one which I loan to co-workers when they announce they just bought a HDTV and they usually run out and buy their own after seeing how well mine works for them.

#6 of 6 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 05:43 AM

Thanks Bob ... is this the "classic" model you speak of?
Amazon.com: Philips PHDTV1 Silver Sensor UHF/HDTV Digital Indoor TV Antenna: Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users