What's new

antenna for HD LCD? (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Long time member, seldom poster. Been in and out of the HT world for quite a while.

I have a question regarding an LCD Purchase I am about to make for my folks.
They are looking for a 19" LCD (this one sepcifically ... Buy the Sharp 19" LCD HDTV and other LCD & Plasma TVs at circuitcity.com )

There will be no cable box or satellite hooked up to the set as it will be used in the kitchen. Question being is will this set need some type of external antenna to pull in a signal? An antenna to pull an over the air HD signal? Or is everything built into these sets and are plug and play???

Thanks in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Without a cable or satellite connection you must use an antenna to receive OTA digital signals. The size and type of antenna needed is based entirely on your location. It could range in size from a paperclip to rabbit ears to a 50" monster mounted on top of your house. Go to antennaweb.org to get details. Copy and paste your results here and we can help you with the proper selection.

-Robert

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much Robert!

Looks like I was recommended a "small multi-directional" according to antennaweb.org
My folks live in one of the boroughs of NYC so reception is pretty good everywhere and signals are usually very strong.

Any recommendation for a good antenna is appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Try Radio Shack since they have a good return policy. Just don't buy Terk. They are overpriced for their performance.

-Robert

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Look on-line for the Phillips Silver Sensor - classic. Should run about $25.

I have one which I loan to co-workers when they announce they just bought a HDTV and they usually run out and buy their own after seeing how well mine works for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks