Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Pioneer Elite vsx-92thx

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   queherb

queherb

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 02:19 AM

I purchased demo Pioneer Elite 92 form 670 @ BB 4 days ago. I currently own a Pioneer Elite 55thx. Why did I spend this money and I do not notice a great difference on music or movies. What am I doing wrong? My setup:Rotel 980 bx 120 watt amp preamping the front speakers.(Kimber Cable) Def Tech 7004 front and def tech center,Atlantic tech rears,Outlaw sub,PS3 used for music and movies connected with Monoprice 1.3a hdmi cables. The PS3 is set up using pcm for audio.Problem:The music on the old 55 elite sounds awesome! The movies sound good. The new 92 the music sounds great,but very slight drop off.The movies sound good and I notice a slight Increase in sound quality going from DD to pcm. The Sony PS3 apparently does the decoding and passes it to the receiver.The receiver shows PCM on the front panel.Is this all there is or am I doing something wrong? I am about to take the 92 back.Help! Conclusion: I am more a music man 70/30 than movies;however, I want the full experience.Is it the receiver? Is it the way I am connected to the PS3?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   SherardP

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 06:19 PM

Newer Pioneers are very dynamic and offer great clarity. Sounds like you have everything connected properly. You should try to adjust the settings of the 92 according to the way you like your music. Other than that, thats about all. You could pick up an spl meter and adjust levels manually, and also adjust any auto EQ features. I have an SC-07 and love it.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted November 15 2008 - 04:38 AM

If you expected a night and day difference, you won't get it. The main things you are gaining are newer features, modes and other widgets. Sound quality isn't likely to be radically different.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   queherb

queherb

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 15 2008 - 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
If you expected a night and day difference, you won't get it. The main things you are gaining are newer features, modes and other widgets. Sound quality isn't likely to be radically different.
thanks

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   firebrick

firebrick

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 03:47 AM

I thought sound was supposed to be hugely improved with hdmi on these new receivers. I dont want to upgrade my elite vsx56 if sound isnt improved

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted November 23 2008 - 05:16 AM

hdmi shouldn't result in any sound improvement by itself. BR plus high res audio tracks plus the ability of the receiver to fully reproduce them should result in a noticeable improvement on those sources. The OP seemed to expect a huge overall improvement from all sources. At least that was my impression. That won't happen.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.