-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

How will the disastrous economy affect the release of new catalog titles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,065 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 03:54 PM

What are your thoughts? Will there be fewer, as studios cut back production due to slowing sales; or will there be an increase as studios turn out more catalog product in order to offer lower prices to lure those on strict budgets?

#2 of 51 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 05:37 PM

Well, there has been a slow down hasn't there by Warner Home Video? They control a bit over a quarter of the market alone. If they are slowing their release schedule, then that is a good sign they are responding to changed economic circumstances.

How do Cory's release figures compare this year to last year? It seems like Warner have put out fewer titles, even though some of the releases have been great (The Jazz Singer, How the West Was Won UCE).

I do think it will make a big difference, if people don't have disposable income they can't buy, if they won't buy, the studios won't release as much.

It seems to be impacting on blu-ray too. I read somewhere that blu-ray has less of the entire home video (i.e. including regular DVDs) market share now than at the same time last year, when the blu-ray / HD-DVD battle was on.

#3 of 51 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan-S
Although I'm sure the UK market accounts for only a tiny proportion of US DVD sales, the huge falls in the pound in the last few months (combined with much higher living costs) mean that many of us over here are having to reduce our imports of American releases a lot.

The problem isn't merely that everything we buy from the US costs 30%
Fortunatley I don't have the silly UK customs taxes to deal with, but the Aussie Dollar is down about 35% compared with 2 months ago.

So I've cut back to just buying what I REALLY, REALLY want, instead of including a speculative blind buys as I was doing with the Oz dollar was close to parity with the US$.

#4 of 51 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 01:20 AM

Of course the disparity in currency cuts both ways. I ordered a UK DVD recently after having not ordered foreign releases in about a year.

#5 of 51 willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 01:45 AM

#6 of 51 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well Circuit City is closing stores and filed for bankruptcy.

I haven't seen many catalog titles announced ever since Blu-Ray won the HD war

The only things companies like Paramount, MGM and Warner seem to be releasing are box sets of existing titles or new transfers of titles already issued numerous times in the past (I Love, Love, Love Audrey Hepburn - but Paramount has released "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Funny Face" three times now and I'm holding out for the Blu-Rays)

the economy will effect sales - but also the lack of new product due to Blu-Ray and HD TV. Once Feb 2009 hits I believe we will see a change

#7 of 51 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 04:48 AM

I buy almost exclusively catalog titles. If there are less to buy, then my $$$$
goes elsewhere. That simple!!
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#8 of 51 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HR
I buy almost exclusively catalog titles. If there are less to buy, then my $$$$
goes elsewhere. That simple!!

Ditto. I have nearly zero interest in any current movies. But I'm happy to buy deep, deep catalogue.

#9 of 51 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 14 2008 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
It seems to be impacting on blu-ray too. I read somewhere that blu-ray has less of the entire home video (i.e. including regular DVDs) market share now than at the same time last year, when the blu-ray / HD-DVD battle was on.

Simon, i dont know what your reading, but i have just read the opposite of that. Over at the Digital Bits, and on Blu-ray.com they mention a report that says Blu-ray is up. I read here that Iron Man has sold about a half million discs in a week. It also seems that Batman may sell a million its first week!

#10 of 51 BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
Simon, i dont know what your reading, but i have just read the opposite of that. Over at the Digital Bits, and on Blu-ray.com they mention a report that says Blu-ray is up. I read here that Iron Man has sold about a half million discs in a week. It also seems that Batman may sell a million its first week!

While it's wonderful that a Blu-Ray site is touting the sales of Blue-Ray, it isn't true. Blue Ray is, in fact, going down the exact same road as laserdiscs at this point. And since you want to know what people are reading, there was a huge front page story in the Hollywood Reporter about the failure of Blu-Ray.

#11 of 51 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman
While it's wonderful that a Blu-Ray site is touting the sales of Blue-Ray, it isn't true. Blue Ray is, in fact, going down the exact same road as laserdiscs at this point. And since you want to know what people are reading, there was a huge front page story in the Hollywood Reporter about the failure of Blu-Ray.

OK, well i guess you can believe your propaganda, and i will belive mine.

#12 of 51 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
OK, well i guess you can believe your propaganda, and i will belive mine.
Admittedly I read this about a month ago so who knows, things may be different now.

I am not suggesting that blu-ray is a dying format, just that it seems the economic down turn is going to slow its uptake. But in the long term I'm sure it will be the standard format all films are released in.

There are quite a few articles saying the market share declined:
http://news.digitalt....et-share-drops
http://www.thestanda....g-market-share

They all seem to reference the same Nielsen survey.

#13 of 51 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
I am not suggesting that blu-ray is a dying format, just that it seems the economic down turn is going to slow its uptake.

Now that i have no doubt. I am sure it hasnt hit where they hoped it will, yet. Its still above the curve that DVD was 3 years out. Its been said many times before, at 8 million PS3's and about 2 million stand alone players in the US, Blu has already beat LD. Also LD made it about 20 years, not bad, just a tad fewer years than the death of VHS. And that was in everyones home. But anyway, niche or not, the economy wont kill Blu-ray. It just slows the penetration into lower income homes (homes that probably dont have HDTV anyway). If someone is about to lose a job, or have a house in foreclosure, you have other needs beside TV and "toys".

#14 of 51 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,135 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 14 2008 - 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_M
I haven't seen many catalog titles announced ever since Blu-Ray won the HD war
???

There have been tons of catalog titles released on both DVD and BD since the beginning of the year.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 51 MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 02:15 PM

I just heard today that videogame sales are up. Maybe it's escapism? If it is, that should bode well for video sales, too.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#16 of 51 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 02:57 PM

Movies on disk, cheap entertainment
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#17 of 51 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 15 2008 - 04:12 AM

A slowed economy will not likely affect DVD sales in a negative way. If anything, it's going to be the theme parks and other big ticket attractions that will suffer. As more people stay home, disc sales may increase and this "recession" may actually save the rental market. Blockbuster has been posting gains in all this turmoil. Make of that what you may.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 51 pantomime horse

pantomime horse

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 15 2008 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MielR
I just heard today that videogame sales are up. Maybe it's escapism? If it is, that should bode well for video sales, too.

I would think that the economy would hurt ticket sales more than home video (DVD / Blu-Ray) purchases. I suppose we'll find out.

#19 of 51 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted November 15 2008 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
???

There have been tons of catalog titles released on both DVD and BD since the beginning of the year.

Are you including things like Casablanca: The Repackaging and Sabrina: Now with 15 Minutes of Special Features? Because if you exclude those, things are way down. Last year Warners was putting out two or three new box sets a month. Now we're lucky to get one.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#20 of 51 Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted November 16 2008 - 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan-S
Although I'm sure the UK market accounts for only a tiny proportion of US DVD sales, the huge falls in the pound in the last few months (combined with much higher living costs) mean that many of us over here are having to reduce our imports of American releases a lot.

The problem isn't merely that everything we buy from the US costs 30% more than it did a year ago but that our ridiculous customs regulations mean any order over £18 value is subject to an extra 17.5% tax PLUS an £8 Royal Mail collection fee. So whereas we could get through an order of about $35 until recently, now it's only about $25, which rules out most box sets even with discounts and makes even single discs more expensive because they all have to be ordered separately with correspondingly higher shipping costs. Normally I spend about $200 in each Deep Discount sale. This time I ordered nothing!

I suspect it will be some time before we see the real impact on new releases as presumably the studios will have had items in the pipeline before anyone knew how bad things were going to be. Whether they choose to actually release them or not in the current conditions is of course another matter.

At least we will be able to import up to £105.00 worth from December 1st. BBC NEWS | Business | Internet shoppers get duty break

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow