Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   sdguy55

sdguy55

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 12 2008 - 03:53 PM

Hello all, i am new to the forum and also new the Home Audio. Although i am new to Home Audio i have been studying/doing Car Audio for awhile now so i know the basics. The setup i have now is a basic out-of-the-box Harmon/Kardon system its silver/gray and i have to say does a pretty good job for me. It is run off an older Denon receiver. I use my setup mostly for music and the occasional movie. My dilemma is that the subwoofer that came with it (10" 100 watts bandpass enclosure) does pretty good but i want more bass. So I have been looking at the higher up model Harmon/Kardon (piano black, 10", 200 watts bandpass enclosure) or a Klipsch sub (also 10" and around 200 watts i believe) So my budget is around 200 bucks and would like to know what you guys would recommend. Has to be self-powered

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 13 2008 - 12:34 AM

With a $200 budget, you will be limited but here are my suggestions:
Parts Express buyout $199 w/ free shipping, Dr. Hsu designed - link
Dayton, designed by Dr. Hsu - link
Cadence, it stretches your budget but you do get to move up to a 12" - link

All of these are very good, bargain subs. The only way to get a better bang for the buck is to build it yourself.

-Robert

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   sdguy55

sdguy55

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J
With a $200 budget, you will be limited but here are my suggestions:
Parts Express buyout $199 w/ free shipping, Dr. Hsu designed - link
Dayton, designed by Dr. Hsu - link
Cadence, it stretches your budget but you do get to move up to a 12" - link

All of these are very good, bargain subs. The only way to get a better bang for the buck is to build it yourself.

-Robert
Well i am in college and there is a couple of buddys of mine in building trades so if i wanted to i could have them build an enclosure for me no problem.
If i was doing it DIY what would suggest? How would i power it?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 13 2008 - 03:20 PM

For DIY:
Driver: Dayton DVC 12" - It's a solid driver that has been around for a few years. In fact, I'm listening to one right now.
Amp: Dayton 240W amp - Again, proven performer.

Build a 1.2cf (net) sealed enclosure and stuff it with 20oz of fiberfill (a bag of pillow stuffing from Wal-Mart. Ported needs to be about 4cf (net) tuned to 20hz. I've heard both and the ported one is a low end monster. That's the current configuration I'm listening to.

-Robert

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   dustin2br

dustin2br

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 09 2010 - 02:00 PM

I have a JL audio stealthbox with a 10" JL subwoofer that comes stock with the box, wired by a 400 watt amp, it is much louder than the pair of twelves I had in my car trunk. It really is all about the configuartion and wattage of both the amp and sub.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,178 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 09 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hey Dustin!   Welcome to the HTF!  Posted Image

I have deleted your signature as it violated Rule #6 of the HTF's Terms of Service. 

I hope you'll have a good time here and enjoy the HT hobby with the rest of us enthusiasts.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon