What's new

HDMI output vs. No HDMI input (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I just bought a Denon 2808CI, and I'm in the middle of deciding which samsung to buy for a television right now. My question is...if I have an older DVD player and a SD Dish network sat box, and neither have HDMI outputs, can I still use the HDMI(monitor out) from my 2808CI to the television HDMI input? I'm not sure what kind of converting will be going on, but this is the set-up right now:

Dish SAT- S-video & Toslink to receiver
DVD- S-video & digital coax to receiver

Now...what are my options to come from the receiver to the television for sound and audio? Can I run an HDMI cable, or do I need to stay with S-video?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Do either of those devices have component video outputs? They would be a better choice than S-video. Your Denon can upconvert any analog video source and output it via HDMI. But there are very definite limits to how good upconverted stuff can look. It all utlimately depends on the source signal. Some of my SD DVDs (like the later seasons of CSI) look almost as good as HD cable to my eye, while less-well-mastered discs or discs taken from poorer source material and SD cable don't look so hot.

Regards,

Joe

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Denon's site shows it will upconvert everything from composite to HDMI, so you will only need one HDMI cable going from receiver, out to the tv. You don't need audio going to tv, unless you plan on watching tv with surround system off. If so, you'll need red & white rca cables going from sat box to the tv for audio, and yellow composite cable going from sat box to tv, since the s-video from sat is going to receiver.

You might want to run component cables from dvd player to receiver, for better picture than you get from s-video. If you do, set the dvd player to progressive scan.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Why/How would I have to change to progressive scan? I just moved and do not have the dvd player with me, but I think it's about a 6-7 year old Pioneer Elite. It cost about $900-1000 in its day. I'm guessing it has (hopefully) component connections. If so, then I'll run those to the receiver with the digital coax for sound, and still have just the one hdmi out from the receiver to the tv.

On that note...I ordered a new VIP722 HDDVR from DishNetwork, and ordered an HD package since I already had the HD sat still on the roof from the previous owner. It has a HDMI connection. NICE.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Many dvd players only allow a signal out of S-video or Component, not both at the same time. There may be a switch on the back of the player or you may have to go into the players setup menu to make the change.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
It does have component and also an optical digital out...so. Here's what I'm going to do now.

SAT: VIP722 HDMI into the 2808CI
DVD: COMPONENT & TOSLINK into the 2808CI

Then of course: HDMI from RECEIVER to new television in question.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
In the meanwhile...will it work the other way around?

If I have an older tv, and new components, can I use HDMI into the receiver via a new HD SAT box, and a Blu-Ray player, and run an S video from the receiver out, into the older tv for now?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No, I don't think so. I don't know of any receivers that downconvert from HDMI to s-video. In the meantime, run s-video from everything to the receiver, and s-video from receiver to tv.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, I wasn't sure. Audio wouldn't be disturbed right? Hdmi in from the bluray player to listen to cds is fine right? As far as audio playback from a cd in a BD player, hdmi would still be the best choice, correct?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Not sure if the HDMI will work for audio only, with s-video for video.
Try it, and let us know if it works.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Gotta find a good bluray player first. I'll be using it as my CD player mainly, but figured an all in one would be a good choice with my budget in mind. I was wondering if hdmi is the best choice for AUDIO only, such as in a cd player? I won't have anything else hooked up in the meantime. Just as follows:

new bluray player ---->hdmi----->a/v receiver =out into speakers. Not sure if this makes sense or if hdmi is good for stereo playback only. Obviously hdmi for watching bluray and dvd is the best choice...but as far as listening to a cd through the bluray...is hdmi STILL the best?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks