What's new

Karate Kid Remake? Starring Will Smith Jr! (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
They neglect to mention that Will Smith is producing and directing the flick. Jaden must have really nailed the audition.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

It does say that Will Smith is producing. It also says that it's being "refashioned as a star vehicle for Jaden Smith."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This has been a long time coming, although there's still no news on who'd be playing the Miyagi character. I'd heard that Smith wanted Stephen Chow, but I think his plate might be full with Green Hornet and the Kung Fu Hustle sequel.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Too young. The kid is 10. At the time of filming he'll be, what.. 11? And it's OK for a remake, it's not like Ralph Macchio was the greatest actor of all time.

But come on, at 11 this thing could quickly spiral into being really ridiculous.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I liked Jaden in The Pursuit Of Happyness, but I agree - he's too young for this remake.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well it does make sense for Will Smith to do this. His music rips off older songs. So now that he is an actor. He should rip off older movies. :D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Heres a thought, wait till he turns at least 16 , then make the movie.They should have William Zabka, play the karate dojo owner this time around !!!!

Pete-D

Screenwriter
They should Ralph Macchio help in the mentor role with Ali and Kumiko showing up, lol.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This type of news used to get me all worked up, but now I figure, let 'em remake it. I'll have my memories and my DVDs, and no one can make me watch this. Besides, it can't be any worse than Next KK.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Horrible, horrendous, stupendously and awe-inspiringly bad idea!

Who is Will going to get to play Mr. Miagi, his cousin? :thumbsdown:

I love Will Smith but pass lol.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can't stand Will Smith and this sounds like a horrendous idea. I think it's really sad that Will is intent on forcing his spawn on the public, and yeah, this kids way to young for this type of movie.

More money for me to save at the theater though! Thanks hollywood!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Why is he so young? Because they aren't making a direct remake?

This is what I don't understand about people who don't like remakes. Do you want them to follow the original story 100%? If not, then the original was aimed at teenagers while this one here will be aimed at children. If this is going to be aimed at children then I doubt Smith is going to have his skull crashed to bloody bits like the original film. He'll probably just be a new kid at school who is getting picked up and then he learns karate to become "cool" or what not.

The original film is one of my favorites so I'm glad they're not trying to make a copycat remake and instead try something new. Heck, this film was already remade with THE NEXT KARATE KID.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered the very real possibility that this movie is not being made with fans of the original in mind, but for kids who weren't even born when it was made?

I'm only half-addressing Matt and only half-sarcastic here.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If you want to make a new movie about a kid picked on by bullies as a star vehicle for your spawn, then make a new movie. the second you put "Karate Kid" in the title, your tying it to a franchise. Based on what your argument Michael, this is the equivalent of making a film about a guy trying to get George Clooneys autograph and calling it "Star Trek".

I typically don't care for remakes, 9/10 times the original is going to be better. This one sounds like it's going to fall in to that camp. Hell, you can smell trouble all ready with Will Smith producing and maybe directing his kid. Even if it wasn't a remake, it is a vanity picture which typically spells disastrous ego stroke movie. See John Travolta with "Battlefield Earth".

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

No it's called doing something new. Do you really want a scene for scene remake like PSYCHO or THE OMEN? Or would you rather it try something new like the other 99% of remakes out there? Of course they're going to tie it to another movie because of how much money these things make. Did you see how much PROM NIGHT made on its opening weekend? It was downright horrid but people lined up for it. Remaking THE KARATE KID with Will Smith's name tied to it would draw big crowds. Fans have to accept the facts that we're living in the past on these movies and the majority of moviegoers (ala teenagers) don't give a rats ass about some movie made 20+ years ago. They want some new and that's why they constantly throw down $20 to see it. You throw PROM NIGHT out there and it opens to some $30 million. You throw the original out there and it wouldn't make $30,000.

Just because you and I love this film just means that there are a few more million out there who don't care a lick about it. I don't do predictions on these things but this has blockbuster written all over it. Blockbuster is the key in Hollywood.

And before we get too off topic, THE KARATE KID was nothing more than Akira Kurosawa's SANSHIRO SUGATA made over with a touch of ROCKY. It was certainly far from being original. Since people are going to boycott this film then they could just go back and watch what influenced it so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks