Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Blu-Ray - Sony or Panasonic using HDMI

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 11:49 AM

I own a new Samsung LN52A850 with a new Onkyo 706 receiver and Toshiba HD DVD Player(Sorry, I picked wrong). I connect via 1.3 HDMI and component as a backup. I have a matched set of Infinity 5.1 speakers anchored with the Infinity Alpha 50's. I may add the 2 side speakers soon for 7.1. I want to buy a good blu-ray player but would rather stay below $300 if possible. Should I get the Sony 350 or 550 or the Panasonic 35 or 55?
What should I buy now for best blu-ray!

Also is the PS3 as good at blu-ray as the stand alone players?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 07:02 AM

I don't know how the new Sony standalones compare to the Panny's -- I'd probably go for a Panny, if I was choosing.

The PS3 should still be as good as most any standalone, except it doesn't pass the lossless formats undecoded (ie. undecoded via bitstream instead of decoded to multichannel PCM), which is really a non-issue AFAIK, *and* does not output multichannel analog audio. Oh, it also doesn't have any official IR remote support -- only Bluetooth is officially supported (and the PS3 does not normally come w/ remote included though you can use the game controller in a pinch).

If you do need to use a universal remote w/ it, you'll probably need to buy some 3rd party solution which may or may not work well enough for you, eg. there's an as-yet-hard-to-get ~$50(?) IR-to-Bluetooth solution that supposedly works perfectly for Harmony remotes (partly because Harmony actually provides the full remote codes for it). I don't have a Harmony remote myself, but my sister does, so I might see about borrowing her remote to teach my Universal Remote remote all the commands for this, if I ever get that solution. Posted Image For now, I just use the Sony Bluetooth remote.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
Also is the PS3 as good at blu-ray as the stand alone players?

Money Magazine has a comparison this month, and they say the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player.

They also say it is the player that Criterion uses to test their DVDs.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 12:32 AM

Is this still true? I've been browsing the threads looking for an answer to the same question. How is PS3 as far as CD playback is concerned?
Samsung HL61A750  -PS Audio Soloist into Quintet  -Denon 2808CI  -Denon DCD-3520 (Burr-Brown OPA-627opamps & Elna Silmic II capacitors)  -Panasonic DMP-BD35K  -Dish Vip722  -Harmony One  -Klipsch KLF-20's (HT mains)  -Klipsch KLF C-7 (Crites crossover)  -Klipsch S-2's  -Klipsch RW-10