What's new

Sony BDV-IS1000 S-Air Problems (1 Viewer)

Indest

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
So, I purchased this Blue Ray, HTIB system, with the golfball size speakers and the wireless rear speakers, in its first week on the market. (Am going to get price reductions with best price guarantee over the holidays). Anyway, it uses S-Air technology between the blue ray/receiver to the rear speakers, and I cannot get it to work. I have taken the system back to Best Buy, piece by piece, until now I have an entirely new system, and it still doesn't work. Cannot get the receiver to pair with the rear amplifier.
I really like the setup and the system, otherwise. I need wireless to keep my wife happy, but am frustrated. I am wondering whether I had interference at the 2.4 Ghz freq. the system uses, but have turned off everything wireless in the house I can think of. I have spent two hours on the phone with Sony to no avail ("send it to Texas for repair"). I have changed every configuration I can find. Anyone with experience with S-Air?

Thorte2k

Auditioning
Real Name
Thorsten Rubbert
Hi "Indest" and hi "shark",
the solution for your problems are "simple":
I have the Sony BDV-IT1000 and at the beginning the same problems:
No sound out of the rear speakers with the S-AIR-System.
=> The problem is the HDMI-Cable. ;)
I pluged in the existing HDMI-Cable which was connected with my TV.
No S-AIR Pairing was possible.
After replacing my existing HDMI-Cable with the Sony HDMI-Cable the S-AIR Pairing works fine.
Some cables cause problems with the S-Air Modul.
Your System is not defect, it`s only the HDMI-Cable.
Try it out and post your results.
Greetings
Thorte2k

davidmhenderson

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I just switched out my HDMI cable for a Sony brand HDMI cable and still have my problem. Although my problem is a little different. I just have the HDMI cable connecting my home theater system and my tv. The S-Air works just fine in Cable/Sat mode but all others cause the green light to blink on the S-Air receiver and the surround sound to go out. Also, if I don't turn the TV on, the FM and AM modes play through the S-Air speakers. As soon as I turn the TV on the green light blinks and the surround speakers stop working.

Everything seems to work just fine when I just use my video (red, white, yellow) cable instead of HDMI. The only thing that doesn't work is the radio display doesn't display on the TV. Any ideas on my issue?

Sony support wants me to ship the system back to Texas. I think I may just replace my HDMI cable with component and be done with it though.

Am I really missing that much if I use component rather than HDMI?

davidmhenderson

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Tried switching HDMI cables and no luck. My problem is a little different though. S-Air works using HDMI cable (btwn tv and home theater system) ONLY in Cable/Sat mode. When I flip to FM, AM or DVD the green light flashes and the surround speakers fade out.

When I use my video cables (red, white, yellow) everything works great except the FM or AM display doesn't come up on the tv when in AM/FM mode but the S-Air surround works in all modes.

Any ideas?

Am I really missing much if I use video vs. component or HDMI? Clueless on this and just started messing with the new system...

Thanks,

David

davidmhenderson

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hey there,

Found the answer. Sony, after repeated calls, sent me a S-Air transmitter. Basically a little gizmo that plugs into the S-Air port on the back of my BD Receiver. It's connected to about 2 feet of cable and then a transmitter box where I plug in the s-air card that then sends the signal to the S-Air receiver in the back of my living room. The HDMI cables were causing interference with the S-Air transmission b/c of close proximity. The new transmitter gizmo sits away from the HDMI ports and now the system works fabulously. Hope that helps anyone who has encountered this problem.

jcp357

Auditioning
Real Name
JC
Hi, I have a Sony BVD IS 1000 and my HDMI cable was causing interference with S-Air, so i just covered the connection of the cable connection with some foil paper. I covered around 6 inches of the cable and the connection to the receiver and it is working fine.
Give it a try!

rwoody

Auditioning
Real Name
rhiannon
Hello,
We have the same problem, the back S-air speakers stopped working right after we had the HD installed. After repeated calls to Sony we also were sent the extension S-air cable "thing" - no luck. Sony said that since we were out of warranty we would have to ship it off for some large amount fo money... I tried putting tin foil on the ends of the HDMI-cable but still have the same problem. Is buying the Sony HDMI-Cable the next step? Where did you get yours? I can only find them for playstation purposes.
Thanks!
Very Frustrated

jcp357

Auditioning
Real Name
JC
Make sure you cover the cable really good by wrapping around double foil paper to avoid interference. I bought my cable for $2 online, but might buy a good cable in a few weeks.

SAB123

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
All I can say is "SONY......WHAT THA @&$%". I bought a Sony XBR TV and a Sony BDV-IS1000. Same problem you all have listed before. Got friends to bring over five different types of HDMI cables.......Same Problem (no S-air surround speakers). I have it if I unplug the HDMI cable. Even tried Sony's own "High Speed HDMI Cable".......No Joy. So, that's a New Sony TV, New Sony HT/BDV Player and a New Sony HDMI cable!! It just pisses me off that you spend "High Dollar" for supposidly one of the best, and it does not work as advertised. All you get is people who can't speak English following a list (and they don't even say anything about unpluging the HDMI cable). This is the first that I have heard of the extension cable, so I will call Sony AGAIN and request one and we will see. I like the foil idea for choking stray RF but, only for troubleshooting.........Sony had better FIX the problem!! To answer the above question.......HDMI is the only way to get full 1080p (I.E full Blu-ray quality and features), Component is analog and will only give you 1080i (skips every other scan line with each frame, 1080p scans every line). Depending on the size of your display, you might not notice, but that's not the point.......WE PAID A PRETTY PENNY FOR FULL HDMI 1080p !!!!!!!!!!!!! SONY, GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR @$$&$.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Component is analog and will only give you 1080i (skips every other scan line with each frame, 1080p scans every line)
I don't usually pick small details out of peoples' messages, but I wanted to say something about this: the 1080i (interlaced) system doesn't actually skip i.e. leave out any visual information; instead, it "draws" half the frame on the screen using every other line in a frame, then immediately afterwards draws the rest of the frame with the remaining lines. The entire frame is finally seen, but in certain scenes that interlaced image can cause certain visual artifacts to appear.

SAB123

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Ok.........didn't try the foil but, did loop the HDMI cable four times with ty-wraps into an RF choke about 3" in diameter, about 4" from the player and it will now pair but, the audio is not that clear. Should be better if I could make more loops with a longer cable. This proves that it is RF interference riding on outside of the HDMI cable, probably due to the high data rates on the cable or just absorbing the RF energy of the S-air. Sony is sending me the extension cable. I called the "Sony Style" number 877-865-7669, followed the promts to service and got someone who spoke english, new of the problem and is sending me the part.

xerd

Auditioning
Real Name
KTang
I think I found a solution. So far it has worked for me. Instead of wrapping the HDMI with foil, I wrapped the EZWT100 card on the reciever. Cover half of it, just enought to cover it when plugged into the receiver. Also my HDMI cable are free from foil wrapping. The wireless back speakers are roughly 8 ft away and I get crystal clear sound from them.

This has been working so far. Give this a try and see if this works for you.

SAB123

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
OK.........Sony sent me the extension cable and it works great now.....Sony Part: Connection Assy EZW-EC10

I've had this system for a long time, and I've never been able to use the surround speakers. I thought it was always my wireless router interfering with it. But I used both jcp357 and SAB123's fixes and now it works perfect. A little tinfoil and you're good to go. Ahh, it sounds so much nicer now. Thanks!

ddwx2

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
David,

I just read your reply back from May. What is the model number of the piece that SONY sent to you? I have an BDV-IS1000 and I am having problems with the S-AIR wireless speakers cutting out. I contacted SONY and their support indicated they did not know anything about such a device. They finally gave me an 800 number I could call for the next level of support.

hypnobe

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I can Second the solution of xerd!

works perfectly after wrapping the receiver itself with foil!

OK, I have had my Sony BVD IS 1000 for over a year now, and it has preformed flawlessly. Today, I moved it into its new Entertainment Center. It was working great as usual. I switched to Head Phones and listened for a while, and suddenly, the sound went off to my head phones, and came back on in front. Then I found the little green light blinking. I am using the same HDMI cable I have had for a long time. The only differences are that the TV and Blu Ray player are now higher off the ground, and the Sub Woofer is closer to the unit. Should I try the foil trick for HDMI interference mentioned above? (Will have to wait till morning, as my gang is asleep here.) Help! I love this system, and I really need the headphones for late night viewing! Thanks
Fred

wannabeee

Auditioning
Real Name
mick
g'day -i got one of these s-air sony systems and it didnt work from the day i got it -took it back and they couldnt help me much -except to say pack it all back up and bring it back for exchange -i got home and played around with it and finally got it to work ...in the set up with my system you have to plug a lead in and it adjust the viaration of the distance of the speakers etc away from the unit to have the best sound ...this worked a few days and then stopped ...... i havent used it since til tonight and found that as soon as i put my tv into home cinema mode in the viera part of my manual -it all started to work -the green light stopped blinking and is on all the time i think that if you have a power failure it resets your tv back to factory settings and this is what had happend to my system a few days after i first got it to work ....hope this helps you getting your going . i see its a big pain in the butt
mick in south australia:

Syanid3

Auditioning
Real Name
Felipe
BOTTON LINE! if you are having S-Air Problems, call sony support and troubleshot with them, at the end of the troubleshooting they will offer to ship for free the EZW-EC10. they are aware of this problem. and they will fix it for you! thank you sony!! at least they have a solution and is a free one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks