What's new

Subwoofer low volumes in 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Sony82

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcel
Hello,

I recently purchased a Sony BDP-350 Blu-ray player, that I have hooked up via HDMI to a Sony STR-910 receiver. When I play either blu-ray or DVD's in 5.1 I notice my subwoofer almost has no volume to it. When I switch to dolby 2ch it has lots of bass. I didn't think there would be such a drop in bass when going to 2ch to 5.1.

I watch a lot of music concerts where I would like for some bass to come through, but it seems like it barely even there.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It could be a number of things, but we will need more information....

Have you calibrated your system? An SPL meter and Avia or DVE will do wonders.

How do you have your sub plugged in? Is it connected directly to the sub out on your Sony?

How about your speaker setup.... Do you have speakers set as "large" or "small"?

And, what speakers are you using?

Sony82

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcel
Hello,

I have used the Mic that comes with my receiver to do the auto calibration which seemed to work ok.

My sub is a klipsch RPW-10, its powered

I have all my speakers set to large

2 Klipsch sinergy F-2 floor speakers, Klipsch RC-52 centre

2 Bose bookshelf speakers for rears

My sub volume is usually set to +2 on the amp, which is fine for music and 2CH applications. In 5.1 I've cranked it to +10 with a little difference, but not as much as I expect

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
All speakers should be set to "small." Unless a speaker is full range, which few are (less than 20H to 20kHz), then almost always use small. Even if a person has full range speakers, most would recommend setting them as "small" for several reasons.

With all speakers set to large, nothing but the .1/LFE channel is going to the subwoofer. The way you have your system set now most of the bass is being sent to speakers that are not designed for it.

Sony82

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcel
That worked! Thanks! I had my centre channel and surrounds set to Large, I set them to small and my bass came back very strong. Thanks again

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Plus, and I know this will sound hypocritical from me since I like Audyssey so much, don't trust the auto setup. Get a SPL meter and use it to balance your speakers.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve

Agreed, I did the same thing. However, when I was using my cheap Radio Shack SLP Meter I was wondering why I thought it was more accurate than the automatic setup:crazy:

OP, I would not change the subwoofer level based on the SPL reading. The level will jump all over the place by just moving the meter a few inches.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Yes, those are the problems with bass. It will be the same if you use the mic in the Sony setup. That is why I like Audyssey so much. Up to 8 positions measured for a much better result.

Sony82,

Glad you got your problem solved. Stick around and join the fun.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks