Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: TCM Greatest Classics Film Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,588 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:08 AM

Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies Partner for TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection

Burbank, Calif., November 10, 2008 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, the studio with the world’s largest film library, is beginning an exciting new partnership with the authority in classic film, Turner Classic Movies. The two companies – sister divisions of Time Warner – plan to introduce the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection, starting in early 2009. The partners will release a collection of 60 top films in 15 themed groups. The films will be available on DVD and promoted on TCM, starting February 3 with the first of four waves.

The launch of the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection stands as the largest-ever partnership between Warner Home Video and TCM. The initiative combines the strengths of the companies in serving both serious film buffs and a new generation of movie lovers. The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection is meant to whet the appetite of a wide range of film fans, giving them an easy way to build a personal library of classic films.

For the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection, Warner Home Video has selected some of the greatest American films from the past 85 years and grouped them by themes. The films are packaged in four-title sets with each set affordably priced at $27.92 SRP.

The first installments in the collection arrive February 3, 2009, with three genres timed to coincide with Valentine’s Day and the Oscar® season. They are Romantic Dramas (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Streetcar Named Desire, Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden); Romantic Comedies (A Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Adam’s Rib, Woman of the Year); and Best Picture Winners (Casablanca, An American in Paris, Gigi, Mrs. Miniver).

The 12 films in these three debut sets have been honored with 32 Oscar wins. Featured stars include James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Ingrid Bergman and Leslie Caron. The films are bundled in premium keepcase packaging.

Later in 2009, the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection will grow to include many other genres, including musicals, westerns, war films, mysteries, science fiction, horror, holiday and family films. A complete listing is included below.

Warner Home Video, which owns the world’s largest film library, is the market leader in classic DVD sales, with a 24% average market share. Warner has more Best Picture Oscar® wins (22) than any other studio and its films have garnered more than 300 Academy Awards®.

The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection builds on the success of previous joint initiatives between TCM and Warner Home Video, including the TCM Archives series and the TCM Spotlight series. The launch of TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection promises to be successful, thanks to the considerable resources offered by both partners.

WAVE ONE -- Release Date: February 3, 2009
Pricing: $27.92 SRP
TCM Greatest Classics: Romantic Dramas
Catalog #: 1000045330
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
Rebel Without a Cause
East of Eden

TCM Greatest Classics: Best Picture Winners
Catalog #: 1000045343
Casablanca
An American in Paris
Gigi
Mrs. Miniver

TCM Greatest Classics: Romantic Comedies
Catalog #: 1000045298
A Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Adam’s Rib
Woman of the Year

WAVE TWO -- Release Date: May 5, 2009*
TCM Greatest Classics: Musicals
Singin’ in the Rain
Easter Parade
The Band Wagon
Meet Me in St. Louis

TCM Greatest Classics: Musicals 2
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Annie Get Your Gun
Show Boat
Kiss Me Kate

TCM Greatest Classics: Westerns
Jeremiah Johnson
Train Robbers
The Wild Bunch
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

TCM Greatest Classics: Westerns 2
The Searchers
Stagecoach
Rio Bravo
Cowboys
TCM Greatest Classics: War 1
Kelly’s Heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
Battleground

TCM Greatest Classics: War 2
The Green Berets
Destination Tokyo
Battan
Back to Battan

WAVE THREE -- Release Date: September 1, 2009*
TCM Greatest Classics: Mystery
The Big Sleep
Dial M For Murder
The Maltese Falcon
The Postman Always Rings Twice
TCM Greatest Classics: Horror
Freaks
House of Wax
The Haunting
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

TCM Greatest Classics: Sci-Fi (4FE)
2001: Space Odyssey
Forbidden Planet
Soylent Green
Time Machine

WAVE FOUR -- Release Date: November 3, 2009*

TCM Greatest Classics: Holiday
A Christmas Story
Christmas Carol
Christmas in Connecticut
Shop Around the Corner

TCM Greatest Classics: Comedy
Arsenic and Old Lace
A Night at the Opera
The Long, Long Trailer
Father of the Bride

TCM Greatest Classics: Family
National Velvet
Lassie Come Home
Flipper
Incredible Mr. Limpet

*Scheduled date and titles subject to change

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 31 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:30 AM

As Nero might say, "Let the repackagings begin!"
Charles Hoyt

#3 of 31 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,897 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
As Nero might say, "Let the repackagings begin!"
Yup, next time I buy any of these titles it will be on BRD or whatever HD format is available then.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 31 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:38 AM

I was really excited until I opened up the thread and discovered they are all previously released titles.

Sigh.

#5 of 31 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:40 AM

I hope these repackagings won't get in the way of never-before-released-on-DVD titles from Warner!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#6 of 31 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:41 AM

Warners plans for the year seems clear now.

release classics in two ways

1. unreleased titles with almost no extras at all (goodbye, Mr. chips, Far from the Madding crowd, Warner Romance Collection, Natalie Wood, Paul Newman - silver chalice etc)

2. relese previously released titles with incresingly ugly packaging.

great.

#7 of 31 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 804 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 03:08 AM

A non-announcement this.

And with Greed still unreleased...

#8 of 31 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 10 2008 - 03:51 AM

Warner is still putting out a lot of unreleased stuff, so I do not have a problem with bargain bundles. This just seems like an extension of their "Essential Classics" concept from last year. The only problem I had with that series is that they sometimes mixed in titles that were noticeably deficient in terms of presentation quality and badly in need of remastering such as "The Music Man".

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#9 of 31 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 04:41 AM

Too Bad they're not Blu-Ray, then I might be interested

#10 of 31 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 04:47 AM

LAME! Who doesn't own these movies already?
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#11 of 31 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 10 2008 - 04:57 AM

Yes, I would have thought anyone who likes these movies enough to buy these box sets, would have liked them enough to have bought them when they first came out. But what what do I know, I'm not a marketing man.

#12 of 31 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 05:59 AM

i have most of these movies...i was so excited when i saw this thread. i was hoping for jean harlow, forbidden hollywood, etc.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#13 of 31 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 722 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted November 10 2008 - 06:16 AM

Looks like it's time to get rid of some dusty inventory in the warehouse. It's a nice idea for those who have not yet purchased any of them.

#14 of 31 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 10 2008 - 06:38 AM

Man, I thought this was going to be their long awaited silent collection. Posted Image

#15 of 31 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
i have most of these movies...i was so excited when i saw this thread. i was hoping for jean harlow, forbidden hollywood, etc.

Yeah I was kind of hoping for the same thing! They could have done so much with this release like Jean Harlow, more Forbidden Hollywood, Esther Williams vol.2 , musicals like the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy movies, silents and I'm still waiting for a Ginger Rogers set but no......
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#16 of 31 Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted November 10 2008 - 07:31 AM

They should have done this release quietly...all the big splash does is tick off people who were expecting new titles.
My DVDs

#17 of 31 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 07:39 AM

What a big yawn. Only good thing about it is that the sets are pretty cheap. They'd make for good gift-giving--but to whom? Everyone already has these flicks on SD!

#18 of 31 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
...Everyone already has these flicks on SD!
I do not speak for Warner Brothers, but I imagine their response to this would be a dreamy eyed "Ahh. If only..." Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#19 of 31 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:32 AM

At least they haven't decided to mix old titles with new, that would really drive most of us crazy. To me this looks like "The Accounts Department Collection", WHV have invested millions preserving and transferring so many of these films, that now the bean counters want a return on that investment, even if that means returning to these same titles again.

#20 of 31 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 12:35 PM

Are we sure at this late stage that there'll even be an MGM promotion, or is this assumption simply based on this past years Warner Brothers promo?

The press release listed above is "splashy" which has me kind of worried. I mean, if there was going to be an MGM promotion for all of 2009, shouldn't we be hearing something about this now? Could it be possible that the MGM promotion has become a casualty of the worsening economy?

I've got a sneaking suspicion that we won't be seeing the long awaited Silents Collection, Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, MacDonald/Eddy or anything of this caliber in 2009. As a few others have stated, I think WHV's big push will be to sell these sets most of us already have.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow