Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why is DLP so unpopular?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 of 67 AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 12:32 PM

I'm in the middle of calibrating my new 61" samsung and I'm having trouble. Nothing looks good on it? I can't get it to look anything like an HDTV. Would someone who has a similar dlp, send me a PM and help me out? I'm just don't understand...all the pictures ive seen of this tv look so clean, but mine looks like if you were standing too close to an older tv. ugg
Samsung HL61A750  -PS Audio Soloist into Quintet  -Denon 2808CI  -Denon DCD-3520 (Burr-Brown OPA-627opamps & Elna Silmic II capacitors)  -Panasonic DMP-BD35K  -Dish Vip722  -Harmony One  -Klipsch KLF-20's (HT mains)  -Klipsch KLF C-7 (Crites crossover)  -Klipsch S-2's  -Klipsch RW-10 

#62 of 67 Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 12:59 PM

Chris,

Feel free to email me, brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review

#63 of 67 Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 02:30 PM

Man,

I wish I lived somewhere so scenic to claim #4.. I have some great flower shots and lots of great photos of my car, that's about all there is to take pictures of around here, unless I want to drive for hours Posted Image
Brett DiMichele

Too Much to list!

#64 of 67 ted cruz

ted cruz

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 04:47 AM

Just spoke to Andersen's TV rep. I wanted the Mitsu WD-65835 65 inch, Costco $2400. It has 120 Hz rather than 60 Hz refresh rate to reduce motion blur (especially good for sports), which is a new technology. A comparable LCD would probably cost around $4,000 conservatively. The mitsu bulb runs out around every 2 years at $100 a pop. The mitsu picture is much better or at least as good. 2 years x 5 bulbs = $500 for 10 years, $1000 for 20 years. So I still save a lot of money over the long run. It appears the unpopularity is due to changing the bulbs, and the non-flat panel design. I thought changing bulbs was a pain and swore never to buy a DLP again. But looking at the savings and getting 65 inches at that price point, my view has changed and I will get the Mitsu DLP.

#65 of 67 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 18 2008 - 07:56 AM

Did he say how often you'd be changing out the color wheel? They don't last forever either. The bulb type DLPs use more power and put out more heat, than the LED models too. That part may or may not be that noticeable to you.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#66 of 67 Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 12:17 PM

I can usually see a downside to most technologies, but I can't see a downside to the Phlatlight LED setup. It has color accuracy, longevity and wicked fast response times. If these manufacturers would put better optics in the light engine, these cabinets could get even more thin. They will never be "flat" but I bet they could shave another 3" off the depth of the cabinet with better optics.
Brett DiMichele

Too Much to list!

#67 of 67 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 18 2008 - 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted cruz
It appears the unpopularity is due to changing the bulbs, and the non-flat panel design. I thought changing bulbs was a pain and swore never to buy a DLP again.
For me the biggest problem is the significant light roll-off when viewing from off to the side. This is a practical matter for me, since I'll watch from the kitchen when cooking, and that's about 60-deg off-axis, where you see the drop off. After seeing that, I've realized that DLP is not for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users