What's new

Just seen the new Macbook and now I want a new PRO (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I talked yet another co-worker into going MAC. I'm setting a record.
In the past two years I have switched at least a half dozen co-workers
from a PC to a MAC and they all swear they are never going back.

The latest convert bought one of the newly released Macbooks.
He brought it into work today and I fell in love with it. The design
of the macbook with its one-piece aluminum body is absolutely gorgeous.

The thing that really grabbed my attention was the trackpad which
was gigantic. There are no mouse buttons to be seen. There are
so many cool gestures that you can do on this pad from double-clicking
open programs, to right clicking by tapping with two fingers, to doing
gestures just like the iPhone.

My Macbook Pro is now nearly 2 years old, and while working perfectly,
now suddenly becomes sort of stale next to these new Macbook and
Macbook Pro models. I am sincerely thinking of unloading my current
Macbook Pro for a couple hundred and buying the new version.

I am really impressed with what Apple has done here with the new
design of their laptops and the unique functionality of its trackpad.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There is actually a major problem with the trackpad for some new users, I'd wait for January if you are gonna do it Ron, you will kick yourself if you buy a new pro 2 months before they FINALLY add BluRay =p

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I was considering buying a new Mac laptop but have decided to wait until the next round.

I'm very disappointed with the lack of firewire on the new Macbook (as are countless others judging from the posts on other forums and Apple's own forum). The new MBP does still have a single FW 800 (they've dropped the FW 400 port though).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, if you don't need it right now, wait until the next Macbook Pro rev.

This rev got minor updates (new mobo, 1066 ram) but is still a version of the current Intel processor/chipset.

The next version of the MBP will use the Nehalem architecture which is supposed to provide significant improvement. Your MBP should still perform quite well for another 12 months, which should be more than enough time for the next rev of MBPs to come out using Nehalem.

Of course, if you've got a ton of disposable income, feel free to put it into the economy... ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I love yuh! Thanks for the advice.

I will certainly wait.

Sam, are you hearing rumblings that BD is being added to the
Macbook line?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
yes! For the last three years!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Everything I've been reading says it won't likely be added anytime soon. Like Ron I've been salivating over the new MBPs. I would be a new convert, however.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am pretty much on top of all the new hardware news coming
out of Mac, but in case I end up missing it, please let me know
when the MBPs get a further revision
. I will buy one at that point.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
New Macbook/Pro announcements will be loudly trumpeted at one of their "big events" such as WWDC or MacWorld, or will get its own conference, like what just happened last month. So no worries, you'd have to be completely out of the loop to miss it.

With regards to BD support, remember Apple is all about profit margin, so realistically BD support in laptops will come when there's not much of a price premium for Apple to stick one in vs. a Superdrive. Currently that price difference is still high (even for the manufacturer, let alone reseller price), but within 12-18 months it will go down to near DVD-R/W price for manufacturers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A coworker bought his first Mac, the new MacBook, and I agree it's gorgeous. And to my surprise -- having strongly disliked the new Apple keyboards -- the MacBook's keyboard seemed quite good.

But my MBP is 18 mo old and won't be replaced until it's closer to 48 or 60 months old...so I will watch from the bleachers for the next few years.

As for when to buy: the best time to buy a new computer is always tomorrow. There will always be upcoming revisions, always upcoming price drops, always faster, better hardware around the corner.

So to quoteFerris Bueller, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
IMO price has nothing to do with it. When Steve Jobs tells us that Blu-ray is a "bag of hurt" I think we should take him at his word -- he doesn't want to sully OS X with the low level DRM needed for BD playback.

A week ago I would have said it was mainly about competition: Apple's HD downloads vs. BD. But over the weekend my receiver, a Denon AVR-2800 died and I started researching a replacement. I looked at the Denon AVR-3808CI and a whole bunch of people on Amazon said "don't buy it if you have a Sony TV, because Denon's HDMI 1.3 and Sony's are incompatible and are constantly losing synch". Supposedly Denon is pointing fingers at Sony and vice-versa and the customers who bought expensive HDTVs and a $1700 receiver are screwed.

The underlying DRM causing this goes against "it just works" -- everything Apple stands for. I'm all for Apple refusing to play ball with BD until the broken by design DRM goes away.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Very true Ted. Which is why I am amazed that they havent put a raw BD -R drive in there with NO capability for movie playback and yet giving the storage capacity that the pro user community so desperately craves.

And Carlo, I think you are possibly incorrect, would not surprise me to see the next few MB/MBP rounds be simple spec bumps that don't get a lot of stage/press time.

Ron check this:
Photoshop Insider » Review: Apple's New MacBook Pro (Somebody Get My Gun!)

and the rebuttal:
Digg - Review: Apple's New MacBook Pro (Somebody Get My Gun!)

and the rebuttal rebuttal:
Photoshop Insider » MacBook Pro Review Q&A (Haters Unite!)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Heya Sam!

I looked through most of it. Glad you guys talked me into
waiting on the purchase of the Macbook Pro.

As far as the glossy screen is concerned, I don't care what the
naysayers have to say. I have my preferences.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

Minor speedbumps do occur off-cycle, and usually entail just an increased processor speed, and your right, can arrive with little or no fanfare.

What I was talking about is a whole new Intel architecture, Nehalem, and all previous architecture upgrades for Macbooks and Macbook Pros come during either WWDC, MacWorld, or its own event. At least that's what I've noted watching over the last 3 years.
--------------

As far as "tomorrow" always being the better day to buy electronics, yes that's true, and you shouldn't put off for tomorrow what you need today.

But in Ron's case, this is more an upgrade out of desire than need, and if you're going to be spending $2K+ you might as well get a much better machine out of it (assuming you're not made of money). I think all the benchmarks I've seen with the new MBPs, even given the 1066 RAM and FSB speed increase, do not provide a significant improvement over Ron's version of the MBP. Nehalem is supposed to be completely new Intel architecture (CPU and chipset/RAM refresh) which most sites are saying benchmark 20%-40% better than the current versions (which are 10-15% better than Ron's MBP). So Ron, by waiting one generation, could see a dramatic increase in performance in comparison to buying a machine that he doesn't really need right now. Just my $.02

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Count me among those affected with a fluky trackpad on the new MacBooks. The thing tracks just fine, it's the clicking that drives me up the wall. Sometimes I have to click 3-4 times on a radio button to select it. It was bought for the office, so I handed it to a co-worker and asked him to try it for a few days and see if he has the same problem. There's two more still in boxes, so I'll have to see how those fare.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh - they've rescinded the ad. I was going to be very surprised since that beats academic pricing (something Apple rarely ever does in a retail store).

So Sam, after having been in So-Cal, are you a Fry's Follower now like the rest of us? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks