What's new

60hz/120hz HDMI cable question... (1 Viewer)

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
I was at a store last night picking up my new 52" sony W4100, which has the 120hz processor, and needed some new HDMI cables. The employee told me not to worry that the box for the cable only said 60hz, because it is an advanced high speed cable, and is fully capable of handling the 120hz tv. He did say, however, there could be a difference, but would be extremely minimal, at most. Was I fed a line of BS? The tv looks crystal clear on the right channels, and definitely gives the 120hz smooth transition. It seems ok, but I needed some clarification. It was a monster 800. Should I bring them back for different ones, or are these cables in fact capable of the speed? Any advice is always appreciated!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes! Return the Mon$ter and go to Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans cables and save $$$. Use the savings to buy some new movies.

Oh, and yes, technically the employee is correct. Unless the cable is 100's of feet long, it will work fine. I am actually surprised he said that. They usually feed you a bigger line of B.S. to sell you even more expensive cables.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The signals to the TV do NOT travel twice as fast. The LCD panel updates twice as often to help reduce motion blur.

The "120 hz" hdmi cable is just a marketing scam to fool you into buying a more expensive cable. But the Best Buy employees are trained to tell you a new cable is needed as a 'tie in'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks