Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CNN's Hologram Tech

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,816 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 05 2008 - 04:38 AM

So what did people think of CNN's hologram technology? I thought it was kind of goofy and Wolf Blitzer saying it lends greater intimacy without people being distracting in the background is hardly a selling point. If that's really the issue, then why not just stick the correspondent in a tent by herself like she had to for the hologram? If this catches on, it's essentially an amped up "I'm reporting live but nothing is going on right now."

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 05:23 AM

Was that a real 3D hologram or just a video feed played against a blue screen?

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 05:41 AM

How it works:
Cnn Hologram: How the CNN Holographic Interview System Works

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 05:57 AM

Just another step in "creating" the stage, the background and now images of reporters. Much of their stuff is already done in front of a green screen. It was kind of cool. Obviously not up to Star Trek level, more like Jessica Yellin said, similar to the Princess Leia Star Wars hologram scene.
Stan

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,819 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 06:35 AM

Big deal, it was just green screen/chromakey. I can do that on my home computer.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 05 2008 - 06:55 AM

I am disgusted that none of the people appearing on it had the wit to say, "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" and hold this cheap publicity stunt up to the ridicule it so richly deserves. Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,914 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 05 2008 - 03:01 PM

I'm always troubled by gimmicks and journalism. They invariably distract from whatever they're being used to cover. And if the point of the hologram is to lend "greater intimacy without people being distracting in the background", than why did they have to outline all of the "holograms" with glittery sparkles? Way more distracting than unruly kids flipping off the camera or holding up "Hi Mom!" signs in my book. That being said, I was suitably impressed with Chuck Todd's virtual, Greek column-rimmed set. The way the results floated in mid-air next to him in 3D made me think: the future is here. This is the kind of stuff '80s movies hypothesized for TV in the future.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,470 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 06 2008 - 11:04 AM

did CNN actually say this was a hologram or is it just what it is being called by everyone else.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,914 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 06 2008 - 11:14 AM

That's CNN's branding. To be clear, it's just more sophsticated green screen compositing.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 03:59 AM

Well, less sophisticated when you look at the actual clip. It didn't look as good as an average green screen composite does, especially if you consider the fact that HD cameras were used for the hologram bit. It does look cool, I'll admit, but how useful will it be?
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 04:13 AM

Isn't this more like the holo-communicator seen on DS9, circa year 4 and 5?

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,914 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 07 2008 - 09:59 AM

By more sophisticated, I was referring to the fact that it's being done live, on-the-fly. As compared to the weather forecaster who is the only "real" thing in the shot, this CNN method requires matching angles and scale and integrating into a three-dimensional space. The actual quality of the compositing, which has to be handled automatically by computers, is naturally lower quality than properly-rendered traditional compositing.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 10:02 AM

I haven't seen it myself, but from what I've read, it's not so much the compositing at the very end, but the fact that it's "3-D" at the source. (Therefore, they can do camera moves in the studio. First, the moving superimposed first down line in football, now this.) They might have even gone for the Princess Leia look specifically to smooth over any glitches; like the uncanny valley, "definite gimmick" is better than "what's wrong with this picture"?

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:26 PM

I read an article that claimed that the hologram could have looked better, but they deliberately added the blue tinge to make it clear that she wasn't just standing in the room. It seemed pretty pointless to me. There was nothing that it provided that you wouldn't get by a plain ordinary on-location link, and was just a chance for CNN to show off. And I didn't think it was much to show off, because the whole thing was just composited for us at home. Had the hologram been visible in the studio to Wolf Blitzer, that would at least have been cool technology to watch, but as it is it was just a more advanced green screen.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 01:51 PM

Totally pointless to me. More branding of the news. Unlike the 'smart map' which kinda had a use (if occasionally seeming like a giant iPhone app), this was lame. I'll take a split screen any day. And it didn't make me think of Princess Leia so much as Darth Sidious...not a great association!
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 05:14 PM

It was stupid, and I don't like how the real anchor has to make-pretend that he is looking at a person when he is really just looking at an empty part of the studio set (since he cannot see the "hologram" since it is not a hologram. Also, calling it a "hologram" when it is just a fancy chroma key is misleading. On another channel, it may have been ABC, there was a reporter walking around a circular rotunda that was completely animated. It looked like it had been animated in the late 1980s it was so fake looking.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,914 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 09 2008 - 11:08 PM

It was NBC, and it was intentionally stylized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users