-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Babylon A.D. Raw and Uncut (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,233 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 10:58 AM

THE SCI-FI THRILLER STARRING VIN DIESEL EXPLODES ONTO DVD, DIGITAL COPY AND BLU-RAY DISC

BABYLON A.D.
RAW AND UNCUT

Loaded With Action Packed Bonus Features Including An Extended Unrated Cut, Multiple Featurettes And Picture-In-Picture Behind-The-Scenes Footage

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – On January 6 the gripping sci-fi thriller Babylon A.D., bursts onto DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD). Starring Vin Diesel (Saving Private Ryan, The Chronicles of Riddick) as Toorop, a veteran-turned-mercenary hired to protect the young and innocent Aurora, played by French actress Mélanie Thierry (Fête de famille) and her guardian, portrayed by martial arts star Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Memoirs of a Geisha). In the style of Blade Runner, this futuristic tale follows this brave group of heroes as they fight to stay alive on a journey that could very well determine the fate of humanity. Co-starring Academy AwardÒ nominee* Gerard Depardieau (Cyrano de Bergerac), Babylon A.D. is “well acted, briskly paced” (TV Guide’s Movie Guide) and will be available in a dual single-disc DVD for $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada; the Special Edition DVD with Digital Copy includes five brand new featurettes as well as a graphic novel prequel and is available for $34.98 U.S. / $41.98 Canada, and the BD version with Digital Copy is packed with featurettes, exclusive picture-in-picture behind-the-scenes footage, cast and crew interviews and more for $39.99 U.S. / $ 49.98 Canada. Prebook is December 10, 2008.

* 1990: Best Actor in a Leading Role (Cyrano de Bergerac)

Synopsis:
In the darkly futuristic world of Babylon A.D., the rules are simple: kill or be killed. Hard-hitting action superstar Vin Diesel (The Fast and the Furious, The Chronicles of Riddick), stars as Toorop, a ruthless mercenary hired to smuggle a mysterious young woman from the post-apocalyptic confines of Eastern Europe to the glittering megalopolis of New York City. Hunted at every turn, Toorop spirits his charge across a nightmarish wasteland only to uncover a shocking secret that will bring the entire world to its knees. Eye-popping action and mind-blowing science fiction clash head-on in this hard-edged thriller, where the only rule is survival.

DVD:
The Babylon A.D. dual single- disc includes both the theatrical and unrated cut, is presented in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. Bonus Features include:

· Babylon Babies –How author Maurice G. Dantec’s novel went from page to screen
· Arctic Escape – An inside look at the snow mobile chase
· An inside look at Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia

Special Edition DVD With Digital Copy:
The Babylon A.D. Special Edition two-disc unrated cut is presented in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. The Special Edition DVD also features Digital Copy. Bonus Features include:

o Babylon Babies –How author Maurice G. Dantec’s novel went from page to screen
o Arctic Escape – An inside look at the snow mobile chase
o Fit For The Screen – A featurette about the martial arts and stunts of the film
o Flight of the Hummers – The exciting Humvee chase is dissected
o Genesis of Aurora – A graphic novel prequel to Babylon A.D.
o Still gallery

Blu-ray Disc With Digital Copy:
The Babylon A.D. BD release will be authored in BD on a dual-layer 50 GB disc with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio plus French 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, Spanish, French, Cantonese, Korean and Mandarin subtitles. Bonus Features include all of the featurettes included on the standard definition two-disc DVD as well as:

· Interactive “Scene Evolution” in BonusVIEW Mode:
o Exterior Housing Project
o Toorop’s Apartment (With Explosion)
o Gorsky’s Armored Convoy
o Gaz Limo on Magnet
o The Convent
o The Marketplace
o Trans-Siberian Train Interior
o Night Club: The Hackers
o Night Club: Fight Scene
o Night Club: Cage Fight
o The Stampede to the Russian Sub
o Russian Sub Interior
o Snowmobile Chase
o Snowmobile Explosion: Toorop is Hit
o Harlem Square Shootout
o Darquandier’s Laboratory
o Darquandier’s Laboratory: Memory Machine

BABYLON A.D.
Street Date: January 6, 2009
Pre-book Date: December 10, 2008
Price: $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada (Single Disc)
$34.98 U.S. / $41.98 Canada (Special Edition with Digital Copy)
$39.99 U.S. / $ 49.98 Canada (Blu-ray)
Catalog numbers: Single Disc 2254363 U.S. / 2254364 Canada
Special Edition 2256489 U.S. / 2256489 Canada
Blu-ray 2254384 U.S. / 2254385 Canada
Total Run Time: 90 Minutes (Single Disc Side A / Digital Copy)
101 Minutes (Single Disc Side B / Special Edition / Blu-ray)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (Theatrical Version)
Unrated (Unrated Cut Version)
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 05:50 AM

Too bad they didn't release it uncut to theaters. There was zero reason not too.

At least we can sorta see what was intended. I'll rent it.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#3 of 7 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 07:08 AM

I'm betting there's no director's commentary, which is too bad, because I think I might have enjoyed 90-odd minutes of pure anger.

Crying shame what happened to this. I don't know if this would have wound up a good movie, but Kassovitz (whose name, I note, is nowhere in this press release) was doing some interesting things at points. Unfortunately, we'll never really see a director's cut because Fox was evidently making life difficult well before the editing room.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 7 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 12:26 PM

Never saw this in the theater so it'll be a blind buy.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 7 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
I'm betting there's no director's commentary, which is too bad, because I think I might have enjoyed 90-odd minutes of pure anger.

Posted Image Fox sure does now how to meddle, don't they? I'll rent this, but honestly it won't be high on my priority list. Strangely enough when a director essentially says the finished product is a piece of shit it doesn't motivate me to rent it, much less buy it. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 7 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 07:47 AM

You have less morbid curiosity than me, then. Posted Image

It makes me wonder if someone other than Fox has this in other territories. It might be really fascinating for them to get the director's involvement and do featurettes on just what a mess it was. It's not like Kassovitz hasn't already burned any bridges he might have with Fox already.

I also wonder who gets the credit for the "Extended Unrated" cut. They're not calling it a director's cut, so who decides which 11 minutes go back in? Is it a cut Kassovitz made before being booted, or is this the work of some anonymous producer (or committee of producers) at Fox? I wonder that with most extended cuts, but the director's very public calling out of the studio really puts the issue front and center.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 7 Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 04:34 AM

The director has stated FOX changed the script on him numerous times, pretty much forcing him to make a much simpler film. Do there can be no director's cut. As a director, even before shooting began he was stopped from making his film.

Same thing happened with King Arthur. Right before shooting began it went from an intended R to a sanitized PG-13 and a whole heck of a lot of changes had to be made on the fly.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!