Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

When will A/V receivers and processors be able to decode Blu-ray audio formats?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 09:54 AM

When will A/V receivers and home theater processors be able to decode Blu-ray audio formats? Will the audio stream be able to be transfered via optical or coaxial cables or only via HDMI? For Blu-ray players today, is there any difference in sound quality/loudness between sending the audio stream via HDMI or via analog outputs?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 10:03 AM

One more question! If I get a Blu-ray player, I'll have to hook up the audio via analog outputs since my A/V receiver doesn't support HDMI. Will there be any difference in the performance of standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks via analog ouputs and via optical/coaxial outputs?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,210 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted November 04 2008 - 03:57 PM

There shouldn't be any difference. You can still use optical or digital coax.

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   tls36

tls36

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 04:35 AM

No difference, this has been available for quite some time. When was the last time you checked out Blu-Ray??????

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 04:58 AM

Optical and coaxial do not have sufficient bandwidth to transfer such audio formats as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and PCM 5.1. HDMI is the only currently available option for transferring those formats digitally. And as noted, receivers and processors that handle those formats have been available for some time.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 05 2008 - 06:02 AM

To expand on Michael's point, you can still use the optical/coaxial digital inputs on your existing receiver with BluRay. However, you will just get lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound, as you do with standard DVD's -- not the newer high-resolution lossless audio formats. You can even connect the optical/coaxial outputs of the BluRay player to your receiver and still use HDMI for connectivity directly to your TV for video only.

#7 of 9 ONLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,810 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 06:26 AM

To expand further, and for all clarity: the 5.1 analog outputs (when your player decodes the new HD audio formats) are excellent. At least as good as when the stream is decoded elsewhere, e.g. inside an AV receiver. Absolutely nothing wrong with that solution. Cees

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Grady Reid

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts
  • LocationOlathe, KS

Posted November 16 2008 - 04:24 PM

Have a question- looks like this is the thread to ask it: I understand the audio passed through the optical/coax outputs is lossy. I have an older receiver with no HDMI inputs that can decode DD EX and DTS 6.1. If the soundtrack is encoded for 6.1 (either discrete or martix), will that get passed on through the lossy bitstream? If not, I'll have to spring the extra money to get a BD player with 7.1 analog outputs.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted November 16 2008 - 10:03 PM

Yes, there is no issue with the regular DD & DTS bitstream being passed thru the optical/coaxial output. It's only the new HD audio formats, ie. DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital + & Dolby Digital True-HD that cannot be passed thru via optical/co-axial outputs. Thus you would need to buy a BD player with 7.1/5.1 analog outs, only if you are interested in the HD audio options.
Sanjay
Member since July - August 1997

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users