What's new

Dump 30" monitor and go with HDTV display? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't jump on me on this as I know some of you will think me crazy.

I currently have a Dell 30" display on my desktop. I like it, but
I don't love it. The reason? It lacks the glossy surface that I have
come to adore with the iMacs and Macbook Pros.

When I visited Warner Bros. last week I was impressed that the
color restorationists were using what looked to be 40" HDTV displays
on their computers. Now granted, I understand the need to use a
40" HDTV display when doing color correction.

But it got me thinking....

Is it possible for me to go out and buy a cheap 40" 1080p HDTV
display and use it as a monitor for my Mac Pro?

First, I would gain the extra real estate which would be awesome.
Secondly, I would hope that the glossy HDTV would get me to the
level of resolution I would want.

Now I realize some of you will call this overkill and unnecessary.
However, all I am asking is if this could be done with the dual DVD-I
connection (I think that is the cable I have ) I have available?

Also, what would be the resolution I can expect? 720p? 1080i? 1080p?
Also, Plasma or LCD? Will I risk burn-in with either display as computer
desktops have images that do not move.

Also, a recommendation on an HDTV would be neat as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ron, in my meager knowledge of HTPC, I'm understand you can connect a Mac to a 1080p HDTV and have 1920 x 1080 resolution.

But what matters are your goals. You'll get a bigger screen at 40"; you'll also get bigger pixels. The resolution of a 40" 1080p HDTV, displaying 1920 x 1080, is less than that of a common 24" LCD monitor, running at 1920 x 1200. Your 30" monitor crushes both, at 2560 x 1600!

This may be what you want depending on your eyesight, sensitivity to eyestrain, viewing distance, and personal preferences. But you're sacrificing pixel count (and information density) in doing so.

All that matters is your specific tastes and uses. Bigger isn't always better. I thought I'd need an external monitor with my MBP. But I've found that a 15" screen at 1440x900 works really well for my home use. So happy hunting for the perfect display!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tough choice here.

J&R is advertising a Panasonic TH-42PZ80U 42" 1080p Viera
plasma TV with PC input for $849

Something sounds wrong with that price so I have to do more
research. Plus, I am not certain if there are burn-in issues with
using a PC on a Plasma.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You should make sure the TV does one-to-one pixel mapping. The last thing you want is overscan, because the Mac menu bar is on the edge of the screen, and if the TV routinely masks that off, you can't see it.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I would highly recommend against using a plasma screen for anything with static images like a computer desktop. Even with the newer plasmas that are designed to reduce burning possibilities, something like the full time use of a computer desktop will burn in and ruin the screen over time.

Also as already mentioned, the resolution of a computer 30" monitor is MUCH higher than that of a 1080P TV set. Using a screen that large with the limiting factor of a 1080 resolution will become annoying. Objects on the desktop will be larger than you will want them to be.

Samsung makes a 30" LED monitor that is reportedly pretty vivid. More so than LCD. It also comes with a detachable hood that allows you to eliminate ambient light interference and an inner fabric that removes reflection from the screen.

It might be something to at least check out if you can find it in a store.

it is called the Samsung SyncMaster XL30 LED BLU 30" Professional LCD Monitor

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hiya Brian!

You pretty much nailed the coffin as far as not going this route.

The fact that a 40" display would diminish resolution has me worried.

That Samsung monitor is $3400, far too expensive.

Thanks very much for all the assistance, everyone.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I have a feeling that there will be glossy screen 30" monitors at an attractive price point very soon. Apple's new 24" monitor is glossy like their new laptop screens. And I have a feeling they will at some point soon replace their 30" with one that is similar.

And since Apple does not make their displays...that means that Samsung and other actual manufacturers (or whoever makes the Apple one at that time), will come out with their version of the same thing. Then Dell will probably release a glossy 30" to compete, etc...

You will probably see a glossy 30" within a year if I had to guess.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

I (am/was) betting that Apple will release new displays at Macworld. Why would people keep buying their old DVI displays, when with the new Macbooks and the 24" ACD it is clear that the future is Display Port. I will be shocked, shocked I tell you, if a bunch of new displays doesn't materialize at Macworld.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It seems a cinch that Apple will refresh the 30" to follow the 24" lead: glossy, DisplayPort, USB & power integration.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i guess i am a little confused.

i use macs and pc's and i am bewildered about the big deal here.

my htpc (AMD 64 3500+, radeon x1050) displays 1920x1080 via hdmi on my 47 inch toshiba lcd and i have no issues. i have adjusted the settings so i don't go blind straining my eyes to see the information on the screen. i primarily browse online and watch 720p/Ac3 downloads (movies and television.)

additionally i do everything i do on my htpc with my 17 inch toshiba gaming laptop (Core2Duo and dual 8600gt in sli) connected to the same tv via hdmi plus run 1080p video. when i hook up my laptop the the tv to play whatever i want to play (gaming/video or otherwise) i have no issues with refresh rates or anything else.

my brother uses a much more powerful desktop connected via component (AMD Phenom with a EVGA Nvidia 8800gt) on my old 57 inch rptv i sold him with no issues. he also uses a 32 inch lcd hdtv connected hdmi with a different desktop (cant remember brand) as his primary monitor in his office with some old crt monitors in a triple display setup. once again no issues.

we both do web and graphic design and use the associated programs.

so why is everyone saying that this is a bad idea?

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

So....are you sitting at a desk with your eyes a few feet away from the screen? Or are you sitting on a sofa or chair (in a position where you normally watch TV), and you are 7, 10 or more feet away from those TVs?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The 30" LCD monitors are designed for close viewing and setups where you are at a computer desk and sitting within a couple feet of the screen. Large format TV screens are not designed for viewing that close and their resolutions reflect that.

And...a 30" monitor does have a significantly higher resolution capability (more pixels on the screen) than 1080 TV sets designed for viewing from a far. So...those desktop monitors have a much larger desktop working space as a result. You can have more on the screen at the same time and that is a benefit.

But...if working off of a TV from a little bit further away works for you...then that is good. But...in a close viewing set-up, it is not ideal and probably not the best on the eyes. Afterall...how many DVDs do you watch while sitting 2-3 feet away from your 47" TV set? ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Perhaps for those doing photography work.

Me, I enjoy a vibrant screen that is more in line with the
old CRTS.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm saying that a 30" LCD Monitor has 78% higher resolution than the best HDTV, so don't confuse "real estate" with "resolution". If that's a good tradeoff, then enjoy.

A new 30" Apple Monitor is $1800; so maybe it could be sold used for $800 - $1000? That would defray much of the cost of a new 40" HDTV.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

Lots of good info relating to resolution, and HT vs Computer seating distances.

Sam is 100 % on the mark about the glossy surface. All it does is add to eye fatigue (as you have to filter out reflections) and detract from resolution (as detail will be hidden from view).

On the ONLY plus side of glossy...it is easier to clean.

For a much cheaper solution...you may want to consider 2 smaller screens (ie24 " x 2 ) ??

Its always fun researching and buying new toys. Enjoy!!

ErichH

Screenwriter
Agree with Gregg & Sam - A well calibrated matte screen is the trick. If gloss is the future, well...
As for knocking down 2560 and viewing 1920 on something 10+ inches larger. You might like it, or you might think you're missing something.
I have a friend who uses a Westy37 at 1920 and it's not bad for his LogicPro work. The mixer channels are tiny by default, so it works out in that app. In Photoshop/Lightroom it is not so great.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, the decision to go Matte or Glossy is a personal choice.
From a hobbyist standpoint (not professional) there is nothing
wrong with either choice as some are suggesting.

It is my personal choice to go Glossy. That's why Mac sells Glossy
screens on many of their portable models. Friends I have turned on
to Mac have gone to the Apple store, seen both models side-by-side
and picked glossy Macbooks/Macbook Pros over Matte.

As I stated, I appreciate the eye-popping images that glossy screens
provide. Others don't, and that is the reason why they go Matte.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks