Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: More Paul Newman Films on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 02:52 AM

Warner Home Video to Release More
Paul Newman Films on DVD February 17
Best Picture Oscar® Nominee Rachel, Rachel Leads
Five DVD Debuts Including The Silver Chalice, The Helen Morgan Story, The Outrage, When Time Ran Out
Burbank, Calif. November 3, 2008 – On February 17, just prior to the 81st Annual Academy Awards®, Warner Home Video (WHV) will again pay tribute to Paul Newman with the DVD debut of Rachel, Rachel, the first Newman-directed film, nominated for
4 Oscars® including Best Picture. Four other previously unavailable titles from the actor’s varied career will also be released on DVD for the first time: The Silver Chalice, The Helen Morgan Story, The Outrage, and When Time Ran Out. All will be available as single discs at the affordable price of $19.97 SRP each.

These new titles from The Paul Newman Film Series follow ten of Newman’s outstanding films currently available from WHV -- seven (Harper, The Drowning Pool, The Left-Handed Gun, Mackintosh Man, Pocket Money, Somebody Up There Likes Me and The Young Philadelphians) in The Paul Newman Collection; two (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Sweet Bird of Youth) from the Tennessee Williams Collection and Cool Hand Luke (Deluxe Edition), recently released on DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.

“Paul Newman left an unparalleled legacy, not only as an actor/director, but as a human being,” said George Feltenstein, WHV’s Senior Vice President Theatrical Catalog Marketing. “We’re proud to have in our vast library so many films from his career which spans five decades. Prior to his untimely passing, we had, in fact, planned to release these five new films to follow up the ten we’ve already released. The vast Warner library holds even more Newman films including such favorites as The Prize, The Rack and Until They Sail, and Newman fans can look forward to those on DVD in the not-too-distant future.”

One of Hollywood’s most enduring and beloved superstars, Paul Newman made his debut in The Silver Chalice in 1954, followed by his first hit, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and other numerous successes, including The Hustler, Hud, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Nominated nine times for a Best Actor Oscar®, he finally won in 1987 for his performance in The Color of Money. Most recently, Newman won an Emmy® and Golden Globe® for his role in the 2005 HBO mini-series “Empire Falls” and voiced the character Doc Hudson in Cars.

He spent the end of his life primarily focused on philanthropic interests with his wife of almost 50 years, actress Joanne Woodward. His charitable giving was legendary, and for that he was honored with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 1994. His line of food products, Newman’s Own, whose profits are all donated to charity, have resulted in over $200 million in donations to several causes, the most famous of which is The Hole in the Wall Gang Camps for terminally ill children.

Rachel, Rachel (1968)
Newman made his film directing debut directing Joanne Woodward in this romantic drama based on Margaret Laurence’s novel, A Jest of God. Rachel, Rachel was nominated for four Oscars®, including Best Picture, Best Actress for Ms. Woodward, Supporting Actress for Estelle Parsons, and screenplay (adapted) for Newman’s lifelong friend Stewart Stern. Both Newman and Woodward also won Golden Globe® and New York Film Critics Circle Awards for their work. The film is an emotionally-charged story of a middle-aged spinster school teacher (Woodward) who’s living a lonely existence with her widowed mother when her life is turned upside down by the return of a man she hasn’t seen since childhood.

Special features:
•Exhibitor footage from A Jest of God
•Trailer

The Silver Chalice (1954)
Not only was this Newman’s first film, it also marked the start of his long-term contract with Warner Bros. He plays a 1st century Greek sculptor who is sold into slavery, but escapes harm when his talent is discovered and he is commissioned to create a replica of the chalice Jesus drank from at The Last Supper. Nominated for two Academy Awards,® (Cinematography, Musical Score),The Silver Chalice co-stars Pier Angeli, Virginia Mayo and Jack Palance. Newman was embarrassed by his performance and publicly apologized in an advertisement he placed in the show business journal Variety.

The Helen Morgan Story (1957)
Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) directs this biopic based on the sad life of singer Helen Morgan in the 1920s and ‘30s. The film stars Ann Blyth in the title role, with Newman playing her no-good boyfriend Larry Maddux. The hit tunes of the era are sung off-screen by Gogi Grant.

The Outrage (1964)
Based on Akira Kurosawa’s Rashomon, this Western is directed by Martin Ritt (Norma Rae) who directed Newman in five other films. Newman stars as Juan Carrasco, a Mexican bandit who allegedly rapes the wife of a man who allows the crime to happen. As the conflicting versions of the events are told, the truth becomes increasingly elusive. A terrific cast of classic actors includes Laurence Harvey, Claire Bloom and Edward G. Robinson.

When Time Ran Out (1980)
One of the last of the disaster movies popular in the 1970s, this one is about a volcano erupting on a Pacific island. Newman plays an oilman who leads a small group of people to safety. The all-star cast includes Jacqueline Bisset, William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Edward Albert, Red Buttons and Veronica Hamel.

The Paul Newman Film Series
Street Date: February 17, 2009
Order Date: January 13, 2009

All films presented in Widescreen format

The Silver Chalice (Color)
Run Time: 142 minutes
1000045728The Outrage (B&W)
Run Time: 97 minutes
Rachel, Rachel (Color)
Run Time: 102 minutes
1000024329The Helen Morgan Story (B&W)
Run Time: 118 minutes
When Time Ran Out (Color)
Run Time: 121 minutes

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 66 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 02:58 AM

Yippee! I was hoping for more Paul Newman from Warners. I'm only sorry they couldn't include two favorites, The Rack and Until They Sail, both of which they own the rights too.

Especially happy to see The Helen Morgan Story finally getting a DVD release though the film belongs to Ann Blyth rather than Newman.

#3 of 66 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 03 2008 - 03:05 AM

So we should not hold our breaths for a BD release of any of these in the near future? I don't mind buying SD DVDs (I still do so) if I think we're 2 or more years away from a potential BD release but if they're likely to appear in 09, I'll wait.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4 of 66 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 03:21 AM

On WHEN TIME RAN OUT, aren't there a few different versions of it? The 121 is the theatrical, but wasn't there a longer cut also released?

#5 of 66 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 05:07 AM

Hopefully THE RACK, THE PRIZE, and UNTIL THEY SAIL will eventually come out. I'm thrilled to see this rather eclectic list come out, but I think that THE RACK (never-on-homevideo) is particularly underrated and a fascinating topic of brain-washing during the Korean War. Great Walter Pidgeon performance!
Charles Hoyt

#6 of 66 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 08:34 AM

I'm flabbergasted that THE PRIZE is not among the titles!!!
Ken

#7 of 66 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 09:57 AM

Add my voice for The Rack - a very interesting Korean War film.

I am glad to see The Outrage coming out - I can finally retire my ragged TCM copy.

#8 of 66 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin
On WHEN TIME RAN OUT, aren't there a few different versions of it? The 121 is the theatrical, but wasn't there a longer cut also released?

Yep Just like the Swarm there was a longer 143 minute theatrical International cut that was released on VHS by Warner Home Video. Apparently overseas audiences could sit through more Irwin Allen disaster movie than American audiences. I'm glad this is being released and I hope that they release the longer cut instead as I'm used to that one now but I will buy either way.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#9 of 66 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
The vast Warner library holds even more Newman films including such favorites as The Prize, The Rack and Until They Sail, and Newman fans can look forward to those on DVD in the not-too-distant future.”

Following Mr Newman's death, I have seen many calls for Rachel Rachel, The Prize and The Rack to be released. Looks like you guys will get your wish.

I haven't heard of any of these except for When Time Ran Out and The Silver Chalice and from what I have read, they are well.....campy. Is this collection worth buying for a Paul Newman fan I have at home?

Who owns Paris Blues? A personal favourite of both my parents.

#10 of 66 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 03:40 PM

Well it is certainly an eclectic group of films, but they are a welcome one indeed. Rachel, Rachel and yes, The Silver Chalice are films I have always wanted to see. I will be ordering this set for sure.

#11 of 66 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 03 2008 - 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA
So we should not hold our breaths for a BD release of any of these in the near future? I don't mind buying SD DVDs (I still do so) if I think we're 2 or more years away from a potential BD release but if they're likely to appear in 09, I'll wait.
Unless it was previously released as a SE, if a Warner title doesn't get a day-and-date release on BD I wouldn't expect one within 5-10 years, let alone 2. They simply have too large of a catalog, and these films are simply too obscure for modern consumers to release in HD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 66 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarrison
Following Mr Newman's death, I have seen many calls for Rachel Rachel, The Prize and The Rack to be released. Looks like you guys will get your wish.

I haven't heard of any of these except for When Time Ran Out and The Silver Chalice and from what I have read, they are well.....campy. Is this collection worth buying for a Paul Newman fan I have at home?

Who owns Paris Blues? A personal favourite of both my parents.

I have Paris Blues, which just came out on a region 2 DVD.

#13 of 66 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 04 2008 - 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Unless it was previously released as a SE, if a Warner title doesn't get a day-and-date release on BD I wouldn't expect one within 5-10 years, let alone 2. They simply have too large of a catalog, and these films are simply too obscure for modern consumers to release in HD.
As I suspected. That's fine--SD DVDs look quite good on my setup.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#14 of 66 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 01:35 AM

I am getting increasingly dissapointed with Warners classic releases.

theuy have announced some interesting titles starting in January(Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Far fcrom Madding crowd, Warners Romance Classics, Natalie Wood, and now Silver Chalice etc.

However their press releases give NO specs ( is Chalice in 2:55, the original 4.0 sound or yet another Warners 2.0 mix down of the 4.0) and for most of these new titles, there seem to be no extras, not even a trailer.

Silver Chalice was cut shortly after its premiers from 142 min down to 135 min. Only seven minutes gone, but the specs show the new dvd release to be 142 min. Have they found the missing footage or is this just a mistake?

#15 of 66 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 04:27 AM

"Rachel, Rachel"...Yessssss!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#16 of 66 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 06 2008 - 07:40 AM

Well Warner did the decent thing & waited until Mr. Newman passed away before releasing "The Silver Chalice"

#17 of 66 OFFLINE   Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 06:08 AM

I'm glad they're releasing the Helen Morgan Story, but this still has to be the most lame box set in WB history. "The Silver Chalice"? "When Time Ran Out"? I got a better idea. Put those pathetic titles out seperately. And please, Warner Brothers, release "The Prize" as soon as possible. It will wash out the bad after taste that this box set will spread.

#18 of 66 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 07:45 AM

This is not a box set, but single disc releases.

#19 of 66 OFFLINE   Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Caps
This is not a box set, but single disc releases.

I stand corrected. My error.
Bill Parisho

#20 of 66 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 10 2008 - 01:38 AM

I love 50's epics, but have never seen "The Silver Chalice" (it's been a bit hard to see!). But I feel once I've seen it once, I won't want to see it again!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow