What's new

Circuit City closing down 150+ stores in midwest (and now all of the stores) (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It was only a matter of time. I think this is the beginning of a winddown that will parallel that of CompUSA.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's odd, the ID stores are not on the list. The Boise store is always deserted whenever I stop by to seek a new-release disc they end up not stocking.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the list, it seems like most of the store closures are in saturated areas that already have another Circuit City relatively nearby. All of the New York closures are downstate, for instance, with 4 or 5 within a 30 mile radius of each other.

So the Boise location might be saved by the simple fact that there isn't another one nearby.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Bronx store only opened a few months ago. My uncle was looking to add a 2nd hard drive, and I checked to see if there was a Best Buy or CC in his area that I could send him to. When I e-mailed him directions to the Gunhill Road location, he wrote back asking how I knew about a store that had only opened 3 days earlier.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Well, this is a sad thing for consumers, and obviously for the employees who will be laid off. (Right before Thanksgiving, great.) Still, there is a tiny, tiny part of me that wants to make a snarky remark about Dixv and karma. Luckily I'm above such petty vindictiveness and therefore, I won't.

In all seriousness, as ticked off as the company made me at the time, I sure feel for all those poor folks about to lose their jobs in this shaky economy, in a shrinking retail sector and with the holidays (and a grim holiday sales season) just around the corner.

Regards,

Joe

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
The outlet center here in Muskegon is closing down. I wonder where all the clearance merchandise will go now?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Rather than maintaining a clearance outlet store it would probably be cheaper to sell the gear on ebay.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't like the prospect of a world with only Best Buy. I believe competition is needed for superstore electronics stores to encourage decent service and prices.

My estimation of Circuit City has been very low from recent years experiences, but I really like the new store, recently opened in my town.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Circuit City used to be really competitive with their new release DVDs, and were often the cheapest in my city. But with Blu-ray, they started matching Best Buy in pricing too high, finally causing me to do my Blu-ray shopping online. Frankly, their customer service has always been terrible and it's always hard to find somebody to help you. I'm not sad to see them go.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
few years ago when i was looking for a tv i went into CC because they generally have better set ups and viewing areas for tvs. (this was about 3 years ago, things have gotten better at sears and best buy since then in thier set ups). when i asked 'does this tv do the anamorphic squeeze for dvds?". the dumbfounded look and the 'huh' answer i got told me i was in the wrong store. Went over to best buy and talked to someone there for 20 minutes who knew the answer to every question i asked.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The Circuit City here in Boise shares a building with a Linens n' Things store, presently bankrupt and holding a going-out-of-business sale. I'll bet there's a landlord that doesn't sleep well at night around here someplace.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I live in Georgia, and there are CC stores closing here as well.

mylan

Screenwriter
Yep Jesse, it is karma done come back around and bit them on the ass for the DIVX debacle. I said I would never set foot in a CC again after that but have on a couple occassions due to being given gift cards but I felt dirty doing it.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
anyone know when will they start liquidating their stuff? looks like all CC in AZ are closing.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ive always hated Circuit City. Their stores and service suck and always deserted. Theres a few near me that arent on that list which is strange due to the lack of people whenever I am forced to go in.

Im not sad to see them go either.

Best Buy and Amazon for me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks