What's new

THREAD OF HORRORS (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
We're having such a good time over in the annual October "SCARY MOVIE CHALLENGE" thread that I really will be sorry to see it go (as some others have expressed). I have really been enjoying reading everyone's comments on all the horror/sci-fi films they've been watching all month and I hate to see it end for a whole year. So I have been thinking of this idea for a new thread here which we can use all year long, or in the "off season" when it's not Halloween Month. This is an idea I think may work, but I'd like to hear the feedback from others. Here's the idea...

1.) This thread is in no way attempting to undermine and will in no way jeopardize the traditional October "Scary Movie Challenge" thread; it will be a separate place where we can review all the HORROR and SCIENCE FICTION films we watch from the "off season" of November 1st through September 30th.

2.) The difference between this thread and the October "Scary Movie Challenge" would be that this is not a running tally. Unlike the Scary Challenge, there is no goal to "watch as many films as you can in one month" -- there is no score keeping, no "challenge". It's just a place to come and review (and also keep track, if you like) of all the horror/sci-fi movies you watch from November through September. That keeps the October "Scary Movie Challenge" something special and at that time, this thread is considered done.

3.) The difference with this thread is, you may only wish to watch 1 to 10 horror films a month... or 50 .... it doesn't matter. It's not a contest as in the other "Scary" thread. Just come here and place a review as often as you want, or not at all if you don't want to.

4.) I know there are some who just prefer to dedicate the one month of October to watching horror/sci-fi movies, so then there's always the "Scary Movie Challenge" every year for them.

5.) I figure we can have a new THREAD OF HORRORS starting each November 1st. Maybe the one for November 2009 will be called "THREAD OF HORRORS II", playing off the use of sequels in our favorite cheesy horror flicks.

Anyway, please take some time to drink it in and consider it, and let me know what you think. It's really fun reading and discussing horror and science fiction films (and this thread will allow for both - or for any type of "weird movies") - there's no need to completely stop once October ends, but it should always be a ghoulish tradition that every October be preserved for the "Scary Movie Challenge" -- which would be the real "ultimate thread" where our horror viewing habits go on speed!

Listings would begin here November 1st.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

This is a bad start. Clearly the next thread should be called "BRIDE OF THE THREAD OF HORRORS", followed by "SON OF", etc.... ;)

I'm in. I plan to watch all those Godzilla movies in the next month, as well as all the Hammer horrors I got at work and didn't get to. Since I keep track of everything I watch anyways, I'll post reviews here. I was actually considering to just keep going in the Challenge thread. :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Glad you like the idea, Russell. I know you expressed wanting to continue! I just hope nobody feels it will somehow reduce the thrill of the annual "Scary Movie Challenge"... because it shouldn't. The SMC is still going to be the big one every year with all the tallying and rush to watch as many films in October as possible.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Joe
A question about the Science Fiction element. Can it be any Sci-fi movie or must it have an element of horror to it.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm in. Plan to start on Saturday with the Grindhouse/Planet Terror/Deathproof thingamabob from Tarantino and Rodriguez. Yee ha. My Netflix queue is heavily laden with Zombie goodness from recommendations found in SteveGon's zombie thread.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

I'm in as well, but only insofar as viewing time allows. I think it's great to have a thread devoted to the topic. Even if viewing time were limited, I would still love to read the comments of others. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

ANYTHING goes - any sci-fi, horror, weird movies, offbeat stuff. No need to keep it strictly to horror! In the spirit of fun, there's no need to quibble about what qualifies as horror, or not.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Sure, why not especially since it includes Horror, Sci-fi and fantasy.

I don't normally watch even a quarter of the movies that I did in October so my contribution won't be nearly as frequent but what the hell.

I might even limit it to first time views, I just don't have the energy anymore to write about every movie I watch. We'll see.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I'm definitely in. Sci-fi is my favourite genre.

11/01 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
11/03 The Seeker: The Dark Rising (2007) 1/2 :star:
11/03 Batman Begins (2005) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/04 The Day the World Ended (2001) :star:
11/05 Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/06 Aliens (1986) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/07 Planet of the Apes (1968) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/08 Eragon (2006) :star: :star:
11/10 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
11/11 Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/24 Stargate (1994) :star: :star: :star: :star:
11/27 Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/30 The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep (2007) :star: :star: :star: :star:
12/02 The Fifth Element (1997) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
12/02 Independence Day (1997) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
12/04 X-files: I Want To Believe (2008) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
12/05 The Ruins (2008) :star: :star: :star:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Glad to hear that!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'll be watching Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead tonight and have more zombie flicks on the way (including Night of the Living Jews!) so keep watching...

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I'm in. Always watching horror/scifi/fantasy and love hearing what others are watching. Great idea Joe.

Cheers,

Jason

Rolando

Screenwriter
I'm in. I wanted to participate in the challenge but with work and 3 kids I actually watched 0 movies in October. Not even my usual Halloween viewing of Halloween on Halloween... well you know what I mean.
So I am in and I will make it a personal challenge to watch new mivies in there, I love discovering new horror. just hate getting those lemons.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SLEEPAWAY CAMP 2

Out of curiosity, and because I already paid for the complete box set anyway, I went ahead and watched this and found I enjoyed it slightly more than the original.

Angela's all grown up, has had an "operation," and completed her stint in psychological rehab. She's now working as a counselor at another summer camp. Unfortunately, kids are still just as mean as they were back when she attended camp, and the old urges return. Soon kids are disappearing without a trace. Angela says she sent them all home for violating the rules...or did she?

As with the first film, some of these characters seem way too old to me to be attending summer camp. The counselors are one thing, but some of these "kids" look about 18-20 years old. I've always thought of camp as being for kids, generally in the 8-14 year range.

Would probably grade this a "C" (vs. a "D-" for the original).

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I'll be happy to contribute, once I'm back in the mood for horror again. I've got over 450 movies in my collection, so I should try to watch them all. :D

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
11/1 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I just recently acquired a Bluray player and this is the first movie I re-bought on that format. To say it looks spectacular is an understatement.

This is probably Stanley Kubrick's most famous masterpiece, a showcase for the sight and mind. I first saw this as a young teen and then a few years later when I attended university. I belonged to a science club and this movie certainly provoked alot of late night discussions. Even today the look of the film is simply breathtaking. It's unbelievable that this was made back in the 60's. I have to admit that the film is long and slow, and I have to be fully awake and in the mood to watch this. When I am what a trip this is. There are many favourite sequences in this movie from the opening dawn of man, to the spinning space wheel orbiting the earth, to the "Open the pod bay doors Hal", and of course the psychedelic scene culminating in the appearance of the star child. Stanley Kubrick is a gifted director and though there are other sci-fi films that I enjoy more, this is without a doubt, in my mind the greatest sci-fi film ever made.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
***Far From Home (1989) A teenage girl and her father driving cross-country become stranded when their car runs out of gas in a remote Nevada desert town and they're forced to stay in a dilapidated trailer park where a serial killer lurks.

This is a guilty pleasure for me. I saw this movie back in 7th grade at a friends house and remember thinking it was a great Barrymore flick. Still a good film, cheesy in parts, but for those of you who are Drew Barrymore fans, you might enjoy this film.

It's not really that scary, but some of the death scenes are interesting. I get a kick out of the bad boy and his sister and how they taunt their trailer trash mother. " You promised us Aqua boy fish sticks!"

Cast includes:

Drew Barrymore
Matt Frewer
Andras Jones
Anthony Rapp
Jennifer Tilly

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

First time viewing in Red

Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) :star: :star: :star:
Remake (or reimagining, whatever) of the Verne classic is pretty much a harmless family film. My oldest loved it so I’ll end up picking this up in the future.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) :star: :star: :star: :star:
NOW we’re talkin! This is what a Hulk movie should be - fun, action packed and true to the spirit of the comics (plus there’s no crazed Nick Nolte or friggin Hulk-poodles in sight :P , Woo-Hoo!). Just as enjoyable as Iron-Man.

The Shuttered Room (1966) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Leftover TCM recording from the Horror challenge. A married couple inherit the wife’s creepy family home in the country. It’s got a lot of atmosphere and plenty of chills. Oliver Reed co-stars as one of the over-sexed psychotic locals.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I wish I could share your enthusiasm, Jim - I'm a huge fan of the HULK comics of the 60s, 70s, and 80s... but I've been waiting for a "proper" Hulk film to be made in the spirit of the comic book, and this ain't it for me (though it's better than the first Hulk movie which isn't saying much, 'cuz so is a blank screen!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).

For me, I've always wanted a more articulate, albeit child-like Hulk who speaks throughout and is more sensitive and misunderstood. There was a hint of this later in the new film, but meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks