Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

JFK - 3 1/2 Hour Film + 3 hours bonus features on BD-50

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 12:39 PM

I am absolutely appalled and outraged that Warner's BD-25 policy has extended to epic films like JFK. The Director's Cut is more than 3 1/2 hours long and they've included nearly 3 hours of bonus features in SD, all on a whopping BD-25. You've got to be freakin' kidding me!!!!

This was an absolute must-buy for me and now it's a definite NO.

#2 of 21 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 01:01 PM

With TrueHD audio nonetheless.
I've got this one but haven't popped it in my player yet to see how it stacks up.

#3 of 21 Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:26 PM

who says it is a BD25?

-Gary

#4 of 21 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:32 PM

There is a review up at HighDefDiscNews.com. They report it as a BD-25.

#5 of 21 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,866 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:33 PM

Perhaps Southpaw can flip his disc over and see if it's dual layer. Just a thought. Posted Image
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 21 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:40 PM

The SD extras are taking up at most 8 GB (probably much less), so it's hardly that big of a deal.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams
There is a review up at HighDefDiscNews.com. They report it as a BD-25.
I just examined the copy I received from Warner during our studio tour.

The inner rings clearly show the separate serial numbers of a BD-50. Since I don't have a BD-ROM drive, I can't confirm it by that method, but I'd be curious to know how James and Justin determined that it's a BD-25.

Review is here:

http://www.highdefdi...=6962#more-6962

EDIT: The review has been updated to reflect a BD-50.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 21 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:44 PM

Brandon, a 3 1/2 hour movie taking up ONLY 17 GB IS a big deal. If Michael is correct and HighDefDiscNews reported incorrectly, then that is very good news. Michael, if you're certain it's a BD-50, feel free to lock or delete this thread.

#9 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams
Michael, if you're certain it's a BD-50, feel free to lock or delete this thread.
I'm sufficiently humble about my own expertise with a still-new technology, and sufficiently confident, after a long and interesting discussion with him in L.A., of James Segars' bona fides as a responsible reviewer, that I hesitate to declare the matter settled. James and Justin must have had a reason for designating this a BD-25, and I know that at least James is a member here. Let's see if we can get some further confirmation.

#10 of 21 Segarsj

Segarsj

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 04:23 PM

Greetings Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we totally goofed on the whole BD-25/50 status.

The mistake was mine, and mine alone. I just popped the disc into my laptop's BD ROM drive to confirm, and it definitely is a BD-50! I'm not sure how I made the mistake, but originally I thought I read 24gb

So, no worries. If you've previously nixed this title from your must buy list, you should definitely reconsider.

It is an exceptional title, and presentation (in both video/audio) and I'm more than happy with the upgrade over the SD DVD special edition.

Again, I deeply apologize for the confusion, and I thank Michael and others for bringing the issue to my attention!

I hope this clears things up. Posted Image

#11 of 21 Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 07:32 PM

thanks James

I knew that was a false alarm

-Gary

#12 of 21 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,627 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 29 2008 - 09:08 PM

I changed the thread title. I didn't want anyone looking at the thread title, not actualy reading the thread and incorrecty spreading the news that it was a BD25.

#13 of 21 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 09:30 PM

Is the movie file only 17 gigs?

Edit: Actually, I should have asked whether anyone knows how big the movie file is. The original 17G number had to have been arrived at using a 25G BD as the basis. We now know that info was wrong.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 21 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted October 30 2008 - 01:26 AM

Good, I'm glad we got that all sorted out.

#15 of 21 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 30 2008 - 02:59 AM

Thanks, James!

This has been a good example of what I hope will continue to be a close working relationship with HighDefDiscNews. It was great to have you guys join us in L.A. It's always a pleasure to have a chance to talk about this hobby with fellow enthusiasts, and I've never met anyone more devoted than the folks at HDDN.

#16 of 21 Jari

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 30 2008 - 06:01 AM

Yes, this will be mine! JFK (director's cut) is my all-time favourite movie, even though I have no interest in all the hoople with politics, presidency etc. This is truly amazing and captivating movie from beginning to end. Can't wait to have this cinematic masterpiece in HD! Posted Image

#17 of 21 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 30 2008 - 09:42 AM

OK, I'm back on board for getting this film, one of my all-time favorites, on release day. Thanks for clearing that up, Michael. It seems I may have overreacted.

#18 of 21 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted October 31 2008 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari
Yes, this will be mine! JFK (director's cut) is my all-time favourite movie, even though I have no interest in all the hoople with politics, presidency etc. This is truly amazing and captivating movie from beginning to end. Can't wait to have this cinematic masterpiece in HD! Posted Image

What are the odds, another Jari.. Posted Image I agree, GREAT film.

#19 of 21 Jari

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 31 2008 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
What are the odds, another Jari.. Posted Image I agree, GREAT film.

Hehe, it's getting crowded here. Posted Image
Any chance there being finnish subtitles? At least Poltergeist digibook had them.

#20 of 21 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 01 2008 - 10:44 AM

Watched half of JFK earlier today before the football games came on. Obviously older film footage of Kennedy and Oswald looks worse than shots of Costner and the supporting cast. I thought the PQ of 'current day' events looked very good. I did not notice any DNR.
But what surprised me even more was the TrueHD track. Subtle background noises I had never heard or noticed before were evident. The soundfield just engrossed me into the movie like I had never before. I didn't even realize I was halfway through until my wife yelled down to me about the game being on. Posted Image

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow