What's new

JFK - 3 1/2 Hour Film + 3 hours bonus features on BD-50 (1 Viewer)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I am absolutely appalled and outraged that Warner's BD-25 policy has extended to epic films like JFK. The Director's Cut is more than 3 1/2 hours long and they've included nearly 3 hours of bonus features in SD, all on a whopping BD-25. You've got to be freakin' kidding me!!!!

This was an absolute must-buy for me and now it's a definite NO.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
With TrueHD audio nonetheless.
I've got this one but haven't popped it in my player yet to see how it stacks up.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just examined the copy I received from Warner during our studio tour.

The inner rings clearly show the separate serial numbers of a BD-50. Since I don't have a BD-ROM drive, I can't confirm it by that method, but I'd be curious to know how James and Justin determined that it's a BD-25.

Review is here:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=6962#more-6962

EDIT: The review has been updated to reflect a BD-50.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Brandon, a 3 1/2 hour movie taking up ONLY 17 GB IS a big deal. If Michael is correct and HighDefDiscNews reported incorrectly, then that is very good news. Michael, if you're certain it's a BD-50, feel free to lock or delete this thread.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm sufficiently humble about my own expertise with a still-new technology, and sufficiently confident, after a long and interesting discussion with him in L.A., of James Segars' bona fides as a responsible reviewer, that I hesitate to declare the matter settled. James and Justin must have had a reason for designating this a BD-25, and I know that at least James is a member here. Let's see if we can get some further confirmation.

Segarsj

Grip
Real Name
James Segars
Greetings Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we totally goofed on the whole BD-25/50 status.

The mistake was mine, and mine alone. I just popped the disc into my laptop's BD ROM drive to confirm, and it definitely is a BD-50! I'm not sure how I made the mistake, but originally I thought I read 24gb

So, no worries. If you've previously nixed this title from your must buy list, you should definitely reconsider.

It is an exceptional title, and presentation (in both video/audio) and I'm more than happy with the upgrade over the SD DVD special edition.

Again, I deeply apologize for the confusion, and I thank Michael and others for bringing the issue to my attention!

I hope this clears things up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I changed the thread title. I didn't want anyone looking at the thread title, not actualy reading the thread and incorrecty spreading the news that it was a BD25.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is the movie file only 17 gigs?

Edit: Actually, I should have asked whether anyone knows how big the movie file is. The original 17G number had to have been arrived at using a 25G BD as the basis. We now know that info was wrong.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks, James!

This has been a good example of what I hope will continue to be a close working relationship with HighDefDiscNews. It was great to have you guys join us in L.A. It's always a pleasure to have a chance to talk about this hobby with fellow enthusiasts, and I've never met anyone more devoted than the folks at HDDN.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, this will be mine! JFK (director's cut) is my all-time favourite movie, even though I have no interest in all the hoople with politics, presidency etc. This is truly amazing and captivating movie from beginning to end. Can't wait to have this cinematic masterpiece in HD!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
OK, I'm back on board for getting this film, one of my all-time favorites, on release day. Thanks for clearing that up, Michael. It seems I may have overreacted.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, it's getting crowded here.

Any chance there being finnish subtitles? At least Poltergeist digibook had them.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Watched half of JFK earlier today before the football games came on. Obviously older film footage of Kennedy and Oswald looks worse than shots of Costner and the supporting cast. I thought the PQ of 'current day' events looked very good. I did not notice any DNR.
But what surprised me even more was the TrueHD track. Subtle background noises I had never heard or noticed before were evident. The soundfield just engrossed me into the movie like I had never before. I didn't even realize I was halfway through until my wife yelled down to me about the game being on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks