Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF Blu-Ray Review: Maximum Risk

Blu-ray Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 08:58 PM

http://static.hometh...s_COL025822.jpg">

Studio: Sony
Video Release Date/Film Release Date
: 2008 - 1996
Rating: R
Film Length: approx. 100 minutes
Video/Aspect Ratio: 1920x1080p/24 - 2.40:1
English Audio Track/s: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Video Quality: 5
Audio Quality: 3.5

Player & Output used for review: Panasonic DMP-BD50 (Video: HDMI 1080p/24 4:2:2 - Audio: HDMI 1.3 Bitstream)
My Review System

Overview and Film Information

Maximum Risk is one of those enjoyable action flicks that comes along every now and then, sure it doesn't have the best story or script nor the best acting but it is a pretty decent movie and I would probably consider it Van Damme's best.

Video Quality *****  out of *****

Maximum Risk is presented in it's original aspect ratio of 2.40:1 and is encoded as 1080p/24 with Mpeg4 AVC. When the film starts you can instantly see this is reference material type content. The color palette is breathtaking on this film, lush natural looking images are presented throughout. Flesh tones are so natural and real that that it constantly amazes you while viewing the film. The image is sharp as a razor, with very fine visible film grain present, not one single minute worry of digital noise reduction madness with this release nor any attempts at detail boosting with edge enhancement. Contrast ratio is astounding which lends to a very 3D image with a amazing amount of visual pop. Maximum Risk is nothing less than what I have come to expect from Sony as of late, they are at the top of their game when it comes to A/V quality of their releases, this is a total knockout when it comes to video, easily a 5 out of 5!! (This title was reviewed on a review sample of the fabulous Panasonic DMP-BD50 player!)

Audio Quality ***.5  out of *****

As per Sony norm with blu-ray all titles include PCM and/or TrueHD, in this case the later. MR suffers somewhat from stale lower rent audio in my opinion, but this TrueHD track makes it the best we will ever have. Sound effects are slightly tin sounding and hollow, don't get me wrong the audio is pretty good all around just not breathtaking. Dialogue is very intelligible throughout and effects are very nicely mixed into a very seamless surround. The TrueHD track gives the entire audio palette a crispness/clarity that is unbelievable and in this case revealing of some lower end audio elements that shouldn't be with a 25 million dollar budget.

Extra Features and Menus ***.5 out of *****

This disc requires a BD player that features at minimum 2.0 profile capability and is listed as "Blu-ray Live Enabled". Menus are pretty nice as well. Special features are nonexistent!!

Overall ****.5 out of *****

I love this disc overall mostly due to the amazing video image and the audio is not to bad itself. Anyone that is a fan of this movie would be very pleased to own this in my opinion.

#2 of 2 Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 11:16 PM

edit