What's new

Will a new sub fix a standing wave? (1 Viewer)

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Hi,

I've heard all about standing waves on DolbyCast, Dolby's podcast. With my sub sitting to the right of the TV, I get a standing wave in many places in my room. I know that I can move the sub somewhere else (in fact I have but it's a less ideal spot visually and for the safety of the sub), but I am wondering if I get a new sub, will the problem be fixed. The sub I have is an old Sony from atleast 10 years ago. I think it was from a HTiB (got it second hand).

I guess it comes down to this: While standing waves are largely a result of room acoustics, will changing the sub out change/affect this phenomenon?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Adding a parametric EQ like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro will help, but I don't think changing out the sub will do very much, if anything.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Getting a new room with different dimensions will fix your standing wave problems. A new sub will have the exact same problem. You should move the sub to different locations to try to get a better response.

A PEQ will be able to flatten the response if the valleys in the response aren't too bad. After getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, I don't know why everyone doesn't use one. My response is flat from 80hz to 17hz.

-Robert

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Unless you're looking for an excuse for your significant other to get a new sub. Then yes, a new sub will fix your problem.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Especially if you move it to a new location.

Maybe bass traps might help too.

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like moving the sub is the best idea. I was hoping you guys would give me an excuse to get the new sub
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Hahaha SO true. However, I need to upgrade to a reciever that has more surround decoding capabilities than Pro Logic (1987) first.

Can't really complain, though. My parent's friends were nice enough to donate their old (OLD!) gear to my college apartment. If it's free, it's for me!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Check the For Sale section. If you don't mind not being on the cutting edge, there are some awsome deals popping up.

I'm listening to my 1992 model Pioneer right now. My 1988 Pioneer is in the closet and will probably end up in a garage system.

-Robert

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
I'm looking to cover myself for atleast 5 years, so Dolby HD is kinda important to me since I already have the blu ray player (PS3).

I do keep tabs on the for sale, section, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks