Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will a new sub fix a standing wave?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi, I've heard all about standing waves on DolbyCast, Dolby's podcast. With my sub sitting to the right of the TV, I get a standing wave in many places in my room. I know that I can move the sub somewhere else (in fact I have but it's a less ideal spot visually and for the safety of the sub), but I am wondering if I get a new sub, will the problem be fixed. The sub I have is an old Sony from atleast 10 years ago. I think it was from a HTiB (got it second hand). I guess it comes down to this: While standing waves are largely a result of room acoustics, will changing the sub out change/affect this phenomenon?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,867 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 28 2008 - 09:40 PM

Adding a parametric EQ like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro will help, but I don't think changing out the sub will do very much, if anything.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 28 2008 - 11:47 PM

Getting a new room with different dimensions will fix your standing wave problems. A new sub will have the exact same problem. You should move the sub to different locations to try to get a better response. A PEQ will be able to flatten the response if the valleys in the response aren't too bad. After getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, I don't know why everyone doesn't use one. My response is flat from 80hz to 17hz. -Robert

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 02:14 AM

Unless you're looking for an excuse for your significant other to get a new sub. Then yes, a new sub will fix your problem. Posted Image Especially if you move it to a new location.

Maybe bass traps might help too.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like moving the sub is the best idea. I was hoping you guys would give me an excuse to get the new sub Posted Image

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 29 2008 - 07:38 AM

You have a Sony sub. What other excuse do you need?Posted Image

-Robert

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hahaha SO true. However, I need to upgrade to a reciever that has more surround decoding capabilities than Pro Logic (1987) first. Can't really complain, though. My parent's friends were nice enough to donate their old (OLD!) gear to my college apartment. If it's free, it's for me!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 29 2008 - 09:46 AM

Check the For Sale section. If you don't mind not being on the cutting edge, there are some awsome deals popping up. I'm listening to my 1992 model Pioneer right now. My 1988 Pioneer is in the closet and will probably end up in a garage system. -Robert

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 11:10 AM

I'm looking to cover myself for atleast 5 years, so Dolby HD is kinda important to me since I already have the blu ray player (PS3). I do keep tabs on the for sale, section, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users