Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

plasma or lcd?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 zoenphlux

zoenphlux

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 01:20 PM

I am going to purchase a new tv sometime around feb or march. I know prices will continue to drop, but i am having trouble deciding between plasma and lcd overall. I dont perfer dlp cause pretty much every set i have seen you have to be eye level and in front of the tv directly to get a good picture. My budget will be somewhere between 600-900 dollars. I have found a 720p panaconic for 766$ on newegg.com. Numbers look better then lcd, but dont they have the screen door effect? My dad has a sanyo 32" crt HDTV that is 720p, is 1080p worth the extra? Also, my living room is aprox. 10x17 and the farthest vieing is around 14ft and the closest seat will be about 5ft. What size do you think would suit? i am looking at a 42"....which is a bit bigger then my current 27" old rca CRT. Any suggestions?

#2 of 18 zoenphlux

zoenphlux

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 01:22 PM

I ment to say that my dads at 720p(or 1080i...which i thought looked better on my 360) looks really good, is the 1080p that much better?

#3 of 18 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 02:06 PM

At $600-$900, you're limiting yourself quite a bit on the plasma selections. Screen size also plays a big role in determining whether you'll receive a significant boost going to 1080 vs 720. 42" and below, you won't see much of a difference between the two.

Personally, I would go with the plasma, but at $600-$900, I'd suggest you get the most bang for your buck, and that's going to be with the LCDs. Get as big as you can for that amount of money.

I'm buying a 60" Pioneer Kuro, but that's over $5,000.

#4 of 18 slarity

slarity

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 30 2008 - 04:19 AM

I got to agree with mike, for the price range your going to get the most from LCD. If you can look at the black friday sales, suppose to be some pretty nice ones in there.

#5 of 18 orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 04:34 AM

What's a black friday sales? Please, educate me. Thanks.

#6 of 18 Janice914

Janice914

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 07:54 AM

Black Friday refers to the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is the biggest shopping day of the year.

We just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX80U 42-inch plasma set for $765. We could only find an off brand LCD close to that price, so we went with the Panasonic plasma.

I read that on TV's under 50" you really can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

Good Luck!

#7 of 18 mightymach

mightymach

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 07:35 AM

If you're not going to take full advantage of 1080p it does not matter which way you decide to go. If you're just going to watch upconverted DVD's or HD cable, all you are going to be able to display is a 720p anyhow. On the other hand, if you have a BluRay DVD player you can take full advantage of a 1080p.

For instance, my dad has a 720p Vizio. It's worthless since he still has SD cable (infact, it's a worse picture than a SD tv). I get a good picture when I am playing my play station 3 with a 720p game though. I have a 1080p projector and I think it is a better picture on a bigger screen than his 720p all else being equal.

#8 of 18 sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice914
Black Friday refers to the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is the biggest shopping day of the year.

We just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX80U 42-inch plasma set for $765. We could only find an off brand LCD close to that price, so we went with the Panasonic plasma.

I read that on TV's under 50" you really can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

Good Luck!

Just a bit off topic here, after black friday sales there's also cyber monday. Anyway, sticking to a $600-900 is doable and you should probably choose the best bang for your buck with that budget, check some screens and reviews on newegg and choose the LCD you think would suit your needs.

#9 of 18 Rennie Cowan

Rennie Cowan

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 02:06 PM

Don't get the plasma. Plasma can leak. Go with the LCD. Longer life, overall.

#10 of 18 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 28 2009 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennie Cowan

"Plasma can leak"? Care to explain? I can't recall that I ever heard of plasma "leaking".

Regards,

Joe

#11 of 18 douglas-b

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted January 30 2009 - 12:08 AM

Quote:

Nice advise...next time don't. (advise anyone....)

#12 of 18 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,177 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 30 2009 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
But LCD can leak. Go with the plasma, less mess. Posted Image

I think your info is about 6 years outdated and now irrelevant. All info now is that plasma lifespan meets or exceeds that of LCD.

#13 of 18 Aenygma

Aenygma

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hello,

We are currently looking into moving up from our 48" HD-RPTV to either a Plasma or an LCD.

In the setup will be a XBOX360/PS3 and we are concerned about that ole image retention argument you will hear some people talk about.

How concerned should we be? I could see times where the game system could be on for 3-4 hours.

Thanks.
Posted Image

#14 of 18 Aenygma

Aenygma

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenygma
Hello,

We are currently looking into moving up from our 48" HD-RPTV to either a Plasma or an LCD.

In the setup will be a XBOX360/PS3 and we are concerned about that ole image retention argument you will hear some people talk about.

How concerned should we be? I could see times where the game system could be on for 3-4 hours.

Thanks.
Posted Image

Anyone??

#15 of 18 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted February 14 2009 - 03:22 PM

Greetings

GAming at your level = LCD then. Or else be prepared to watch another 3 to 4 hours of normal programming after any such session.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#16 of 18 Rennie Cowan

Rennie Cowan

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 08:32 PM

DAVEF wrote:

I think your info is about 6 years outdated and now irrelevant. All info now is that plasma lifespan meets or exceeds that of LCD.

Or is it that you prefer plasma...and I suppose that is why Circuit City went out of business, because the majority of their stock of flat panel screens were plasma? Walk into any Best Buy, most of what they carry is LCD. I rest my case.

#17 of 18 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,177 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 02 2010 - 01:00 AM

DAVEF wrote:

Or is it that you prefer plasma...and I suppose that is why Circuit City went out of business, because the majority of their stock of flat panel screens were plasma? Walk into any Best Buy, most of what they carry is LCD. I rest my case.

I peferred LCD before I bought. But I wanted to buy the best TV possible in 2009 and the research lead me to Plasma -- a surprise as I thought they were poor performers with terrible lifespan, prone to burn-in, and lousy brightness. But that info was outdated and is now simply incorrect. And in my bedroom is an LCD, because there wasn't a mid-level Plasma in my price range.

Regardless of current performance, plasma has not been as successful as LCD. The best manufacturer, Pioneer, quit the business. I've heard that the technology and engineers behind their Kuro units were bought by Panasonic. Perhaps future Panny plasma TVs will leverage some of the best-of-class Kuro technology.

#18 of 18 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,053 posts

Posted June 02 2010 - 08:54 AM

I was surprised to stumble across a 42" Panasonic LCD set:

http://www2.panasoni...000000000005702

I wonder if this means that they plan to start phasing out 42" plasmas.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)

Forum Nav Content I Follow