Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

'Catch-Up' titles - Released HD-DVDs that have yet to get a Blu-ray release (US Only)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#21 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 10 2008 - 01:35 PM

Updated - Weinstein Co. will release Clerks II 2/10/09

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#22 of 409 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,113 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:13 PM

I want my WATERWORLD on BD!!! Posted Image Posted Image

Seriously, thanks for putting up that list. Didn't realize how many HD-DVDs Uni had released that I would buy in a heartbeat on BD. That said, I'd rather have them "do it right" then just do a quick port. If the transfers on HD-DVD were stellar, then go ahead and recycle the A/V transfer. If not, then please go back and re-do it rather than give us a sub-par (by HD standards) transfer.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#23 of 409 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,456 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 02:22 PM

In what world can an average increase of 157% in the number of releases--with most months seeing a doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling of year-to-year figures--be considered a "slowdown of releases across all of the studios" and "no apparent rush to get as many titles out"?!
You are quite right; and I notice that for the rest of the year, I have at least one BR on my list to get per week; usually more like 3 per week. And this is WITHOUT the huge number of catalog titles I'd buy if they were offered.

#24 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 01:47 PM

Updated - Universal will release Friday Night Lights 1/6/09 and King Kong (2005) 1/20/09

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#25 of 409 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 02:43 PM

I keep wondering what happened with "The Kite Runner." Paramount announced it for HD-DVD earlier this year, then . . . it just kind of went away. I always assumed it was released on the format, but I can't turn up any reviews for it. The cover art is on this page.

Does it count as a Blu-ray "catch-up" title (since an HD transfer was undoubtedly off to the presses when Paramount/DreamWorks went exclusively Blu)? I love this film and keep hoping it'll be released soon. Perhaps to tie in with the Blu-ray release of "Quantum of Solace"? They're pretty different films though.

#26 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 03:33 PM

There were a handful of released Paramount canceled at the last minute when they switched from HD-DVD to Blu-ray earlier this year. If it never got officially released I haven't included it on this list.

#27 of 409 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,824 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted November 14 2008 - 08:14 AM

Received word from Netflix yesterday that they are planning to cease HD DVD rentals on December 15.

#28 of 409 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,824 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 08:25 AM

{Dupe post deleted.}

#29 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 11:21 AM

The following was released today and has been removed: Lucky # Slevin

#30 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 12:05 PM

Updated - Universal will release The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum on 1/27/09.

#31 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 12:29 AM

The following were released 11/25 and have been removed: Jarhead The Kingdom Added dates - Universal will release the following on 2/10/09: Doom The Rundown

#32 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 12:09 PM

The following was released 12/2 and has been removed: Casablanca

#33 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 01:29 PM

The following was released 12/9 and has been removed: Jet Li's Fearless

#34 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 02:01 PM

The following were released 12/16 and have been removed: The Heartbreak Kid (2007) Hot Rod Into the Wild Old School

#35 of 409 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,824 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 04:36 PM

I second the thanks for your compiling this list, Brandon. Nice way to see info I'm variously aware of all in one place. Recently rejoined Bbuster Online to rent the dozen or so HD DVD exclusives I'm interested in, don't own and think will get to BD later rather than sooner. Spun THE RIVER (1984) last night. Vilmos Zsigmond's (Oscar nommed) lensing of course helps, but it's a handsome transfer. Especially poignant, in these economic times, to have watched that on the heels of CINDERELLA MAN.

#36 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 09:57 PM

You're welcome.

#37 of 409 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted December 29 2008 - 04:25 PM

I suspect some of the catalogue titles like Grand Prix and Mutiny on the Bounty may take a while.
This is why I'm purchasing some HD-DVD titles like "Grand Prix" real cheaply to tide me over until hopefully better versions appear on BD. (Bought a HD-DVD Player a year ago 1 week before HD-DVD gave up the Ghost!)
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#38 of 409 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,603 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted December 29 2008 - 07:33 PM

I got mine last Christmas (wanted to see if HDM was really "worth it" and HD DVD was the cheaper option--I've since added a second player that is currently hooked up to an SD TV and serves as that TV's movie player--and it's a back up). I have about 120 HD DVDs, all the ones I wanted (at the barn burning prices I paid for most of them, and with two machines, I know I'll get my money's worth). For me, it's about the films, not the format (as a veteran of the DVD-A/SACD format "war"--I've long accepted that I need to be "flexible" when it comes to formats).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#39 of 409 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,618 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 11:52 AM

The following was released 12/30 and has been removed: Serenity

#40 of 409 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 02:24 PM

Well, I certainly hope if Warners rereleases Excalibur, they finally get the framing right. The last time it was framed properly was the Laserdisc version. The DVD and HD-DVD releases look like they zoomed into the pic on all sides and it appears horribly cropped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users