Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question re: Se7en

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hello all,

I'm still very new to this forum but I've had great fun reading through all of the various opinions and facts available here. And the fact that Robert Harris posts product reviews here is an extra special treat.

I'm sure we have fans of David Fincher's "Se7en" here...

I'm interested to know if anyone has heard anything about an upcoming Blu-ray Disc release. I'm about *this close* to purchasing the New Line Platinum Series 2-DVD edition, but I'd hate to see a Blu-ray Disc on the market for this film only a few months from now.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Rob

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 27 2008 - 05:07 PM

I've heard nothing, but New Line's catalog is now controlled by Warner, so who knows when they'll get around to it. You'd have to think that it would be pretty high on their list if they're gonna release from the New Line catalog, however.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 01:40 AM

You can usually get this title for less than $10 these days (Amazon has it for $9.99 as we speak), so why not go for it; you could sell it for at least half that when a Blu-ray comes along, making your investment well below the value of your peace of mind...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 02:39 AM

Why not just rent it and wait to buy the BD version?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 06:46 AM

Rob,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding 'Se7en' and most things Fincher: Over at the "Insiders" section of the forum, David Prior, developer and producer for most if not all of the Fincher special edition DVD's can be reached for such questions.

I noticed recently that he hasn't gotten around to answering one such question from another member of the forum, but it's a good section to monitor for such news.

Of course, that news will spread like wildfire when something is announced. I think that all of the Fincher movies are eagerly anticipated on BD, and 'Se7en' has to be near the top of most people's list.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 28 2008 - 07:02 AM

I've read over on David Prior's page that Fincher isn't prepared to revisit Se7en or any other title until he's done with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which makes perfect sense to me.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 11:29 AM

Very insightful responses...thank you all for your time!