-

Photo

MICHAEL POWELL DOUBLE FEATURE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 11:07 AM

The Digital Bits is reporting 1/6 as the release date for the Michael Powell Double Feature: AGE OF CONSENT (Extended cut)/STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (Isn't A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH the preferred title?).
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 01:11 AM

A Matter of Life and Death was the film's British release title - it was changed to Stairway to Heaven for the U.S. release as the studio felt it would be more audience-friendly. Guess Sony wants to stick with the U.S. title for the Region 1 release (it still goes by Stairway to Heaven in the TCM database)?

Regardless, best news ever, easily my most anticipated R1 DVD. Just sad it won't be out in time for Xmas, as it would easily make #1 on my list. Need details NOW.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,454 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 28 2008 - 02:40 AM

The few details I have come from P&P guru Steve Crook over at the Britmovies Forum:

It'll [AMOLAD] be packaged with Age of Consent in their "Collectors Choice" series. An odd choice but Columbia have the rights to both of them in the States.

AMOLAD will have a commentary by Ian Christie and Martin Scorsese has done an interview and introduction to both films.

AoC will be the one with the original soundtrack restored and there are also interviews with some of the people involved in the making of it like Helen Mirren, Tony Buckley (editor), Peter Sculthorpe (composer), Ron and Valerie Taylor (underwater camera) and Kevin Powell.

Thelma [Schoonmaker] and some friendly people at Columbia have worked hard to get all of this done. They've done some tidying up on the prints of both films and the soundtracks.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 03:08 AM

AMOLAD is my favorite Powell film, glad to see it's being done with some tasty extras. Haven't seen AoC yet.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 03:12 AM

AGE was recently on TCM. Can't say it is one of Powell's better films. In her autobiography, I guess Mirren wasn't happy during the making of it. Powell was said to yell a lot. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted October 28 2008 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH
A Matter of Life and Death was the film's British release title - it was changed to Stairway to Heaven for the U.S. release as the studio felt it would be more audience-friendly. Guess Sony wants to stick with the U.S. title for the Region 1 release (it still goes by Stairway to Heaven in the TCM database)?

Regardless, best news ever, easily my most anticipated R1 DVD. Just sad it won't be out in time for Xmas, as it would easily make #1 on my list. Need details NOW.

Under the "impossible trivial dream wish" category I would put my hope that Columbia/Sony/TriStar (whatever) has seamless branching so we can enjoy the movie with either it's British or American title. ;-)

(Yes, I'm kidding... but only a little bit)

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 07:17 AM

What worries me is the version known as "Stairway to Heaven" was censored for American audiences. A fairly significant scene involving Peter on the beach after his near death experience was excised from American prints because it features a nude boy on the beach playing a flute or fife. Peter, believing he's dead, assumes the boy is some sort of angel, and asks for directions, which the boy, does, assuming he is just a lost soldier. The scene is necessary because it sets up Peter's fortuitous encounter with June.

But then again, with Thelma Schoonmaker's involvement, I can't see how she would allow anything other than the original, uncut version to be released...which begs the question as to why she would assent to having it released under the American title, despite Powell's vocal preference for A.M.O.L.A.D.

Oh well. Have to keep our fingers crossed!

BR

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 07:19 AM

Are Sony's double features generally two discs, or should we resign ourselves to a flipper?
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 08:02 AM

This is about as odd a double feature as you'll ever see. Age of Consent contains copious nudity and is most definitely not for family audiences, whereas A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven is an atrocious title) is the complete opposite.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10
What worries me is the version known as "Stairway to Heaven" was censored for American audiences. A fairly significant scene involving Peter on the beach after his near death experience was excised from American prints because it features a nude boy on the beach playing a flute or fife. Peter, believing he's dead, assumes the boy is some sort of angel, and asks for directions, which the boy, does, assuming he is just a lost soldier. The scene is necessary because it sets up Peter's fortuitous encounter with June.

But then again, with Thelma Schoonmaker's involvement, I can't see how she would allow anything other than the original, uncut version to be released...which begs the question as to why she would assent to having it released under the American title, despite Powell's vocal preference for A.M.O.L.A.D.

Oh well. Have to keep our fingers crossed!

BR

Let's be clear - while the boy is nude you see nothing that could be construed as offensive in any way. No posterior, no front, no nothing. So, yes, the scene was in the TCM broadcast and I don't think there's cause for worry on the DVD.

#11 of 12 ONLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,902 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 30 2008 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara
Are Sony's double features generally two discs, or should we resign ourselves to a flipper?

I don't think I've seen a double sided disc from sony, not from my (bad) memory anyways.

I never heard of these, on ever hear about how great Michael Powell is. Seeing as this will probably retail for like, $15, I'll grab it.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted October 30 2008 - 02:32 PM

DVD empire says it is 2 discs

DVD Empire - Item - Films Of Michael Powell, The: The Collector's Choice / DVD-Video

Forum Nav Content I Follow