-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MGM: Please Release SEs of TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 05:55 AM

MGM really needs to get on the ball and release the Hammer Classics TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS on DVD. I see these are all airing uncut on the HD channel, Monsters HD, which means that they have already been transfered. They all carry the MGM logos. I don't have the channel, but a friend tells me the transfer on TWINS is quite stunning and looks better than any of the foreign DVD releases.

With so many Hammer films coming out this year, MGM needs to get on the ball. They could also do special editions as all the directors (John Hough, Peter Sasdy and Robert Young) are alive and well, and several have done commentaries before. Many of the main cast members of these films are alive as well.

I contacted MGM/Fox, and the gave me a contact. Her name is Julia Simmons, and the e-mail address if Julia.Simmons@fox.com. I urge anyone who wants these released (or any other classic horror that MGM is avoiding) to shoot her an e-mail. I sent her one, but have not gotten a response yet.

#2 of 60 James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 06:51 AM

the uk dvds for twins and hands are still avaliable. i think vampire circus is OOP

#3 of 60 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 06:57 AM

But there is an edition in Germany, and - like many German releases - it doesn;t come with forced subtitles if you opt for the original English track.

It's usually only French releases that do that Posted Image

As has been said Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper are available in the UK.

#4 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 07:00 AM

Yes, but I am talking about Region 1 releases with superior transfers. The new MGM transfers are reportedly better than the other region DVDs, and I don't like the PAL speed-up anyway, I'm can't be alone in wanting these for Region 1!

#5 of 60 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 07:13 AM

I got tired of waiting and bought the region 4 (Australia) box-set of these three titles. Nice widescreen, uncut transfers of Hammer's strongest and most explicit films. I recommend it.

If a region 1 set or individual releases ever come out, I'll buy them in an instant. It does not seem too likely, however, in view of the content. Vampire Circus has some adult nudity while a child is there; probably only in the way it's cut together, but it's sufficient to make any USA distributor uncomfortable in these confused times. Likewise Twins of Evil has its share of problems. These films would be better entrusted to a botique label like Anchor Bay, Synapse, Blue Underground, etc.

The consumer's interest in Hammer Films has never been more enthusiastic, and there is certainly money to be made from Vampire Circus, Twins of Evil, and Hands of the Ripper.

#6 of 60 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 07:21 AM

MGM also needs to release The Quatermass Experiment as well. It's had an HD transfer made, according to Glenn Erickson.

The four films together would make a terrific boxset.

Does MGM have the rights to any other Hammers?

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#7 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
MGM also needs to release The Quatermass Experiment as well. It's had an HD transfer made, according to Glenn Erickson.

The four films together would make a terrific boxset.

Does MGM have the rights to any other Hammers?

God yes, we need QUATERMASS XPERIMENT too! I think those are all the Hammer titles MGM owns.

#8 of 60 James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W
I got tired of waiting and bought the region 4 (Australia) box-set of these three titles. Nice widescreen, uncut transfers of Hammer's strongest and most explicit films. I recommend it.

If a region 1 set or individual releases ever come out, I'll buy them in an instant. It does not seem too likely, however, in view of the content. Vampire Circus has some adult nudity while a child is there; probably only in the way it's cut together, but it's sufficient to make any USA distributor uncomfortable in these confused times. Likewise Twins of Evil has its share of problems. These films would be better entrusted to a botique label like Anchor Bay, Synapse, Blue Underground, etc.

The consumer's interest in Hammer Films has never been more enthusiastic, and there is certainly money to be made from Vampire Circus, Twins of Evil, and Hands of the Ripper.

I doubt there will be such an issue with Vampire Circus

Twins is just chock a block with adult sexual antics! Can imagine any problems there!

#9 of 60 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,062 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 01:16 AM

...And while we're at it, how about BURN WITCH BURN and BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW? These are all awaited by an enormous fan base. C'mon, MGM, let's give the customers what they want!

#10 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
...And while we're at it, how about BURN WITCH BURN and BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW? These are all awaited by an enormous fan base. C'mon, MGM, let's give the customers what they want!

You got that right!!!

#11 of 60 James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBrom
You got that right!!!

Burn Witch Burn is on UK DVD as Night of the Eagle

Satan's Claw is on UK DVD but non-anamorphic

Does MGM in the US have the rights to Hammer's She? Both UK DVDs are lacking

#12 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'Tiger' Lee
Does MGM in the US have the rights to Hammer's She? Both UK DVDs are lacking

Warner Home Video has the rights to Hammer's She for the U.S. DVD.

#13 of 60 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 11:38 AM

Oh Hell Yeah! I'd love to get R1 releases of Twins of Evil, Hands of the Ripper, Vampire Circus, Quatermass Xperiment, Night of the Eagle and Blood on Satan's Claw.

Midnite Movies, boxed set, whatever, just release the damn things already.
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 60 Wesley Ray

Wesley Ray

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 04:40 AM

E-mail sent. Let's hope this works!

Wouldn't hurt to ask about Hospital Massacre, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, or To All A Goodnight either!

#15 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 07:17 AM

Has anyone who wrote an e-mail to Julia Simmons got a reply yet? I haven't but I don't expect to. I just hope they get the hint and get the ball rolling on long awaited titles again.

#16 of 60 George Reis

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 07:42 AM

Judging from MGM's cover for their LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT COLLECTOR'S EDITION, the only way we might get something like TWINS OF EVIL is if they market it like this:

Posted Image

#17 of 60 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 12:27 PM

I read the title of this thread as "press release" instead of please release and was super excited... bummer.

#18 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Reis
Judging from MGM's cover for their LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT COLLECTOR'S EDITION, the only way we might get something like TWINS OF EVIL is if they market it like this:

Posted Image

That's pretty damn funny and almost true!

#19 of 60 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
I read the title of this thread as "press release" instead of please release and was super excited... bummer.

Maybe one day :-(

#20 of 60 Wesley Ray

Wesley Ray

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 05:47 AM

Yeah, the new Last House cover art makes it look more like a slasher film or giallo. I kind of like it, but definitely not for Last House on the Left.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow